Skidoo running rough

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have a 2005 SummitX 800, It started running rough on our last local ride. It wont Idle very well it pops and bangs. At idle the tach reads nothing. The trouble light is on too. I went threw all the wiring. Checked the grounds. Checked the spark and cleaned the plugs. Its also hard to start. Is there sensors that I should check that may be faulty. Help!! Im going to the mountains on Friday??

RON:(

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I'm no mechanic Ron but you could always trade it in on a cat..LOL!
catmando!
Sorry buddy,I couldn't resist!LMAO!
:PDT_kap:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you heading south or north to ride? Call dealer and see what they say, could be the beginning of the end of your stator.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Here is a video of whats happening.. Its fine once it gets above 2000 rpm but under watch the tack and lights on the tack. Its still running but rough. Also hard to start.

I was going to change the plug wires first thing.. The stator, hmmm. Big job??

RON

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have a second DESS key as mine did the same thing when Riverside made my second key on my MXZ. Had to take sled back to get second key redone. Stator not a big job just not cheap for parts. Call riverside in the morning if key change doesn't work.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The Dess key, it beeps funny when that is not working. In the skidoo manual it points to the stator. It doesnt talk about changing it. I will start tommorow with the spark plug wires. I dont think theres a great spark, then go from there. Its quite hard to start even when warm..
See the video whats happining with the tach...

RON :crying3:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a plug on the electronic module just under the headlight that has been causing folks some grief from water melting off the headlight and corroding the connection?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I Agree With Above

All Ideas From Above Are In The Right Direction. The Connection That Summiteer Is Talking About Is The Plug In Connectors To The Ecu(computer) And It Should Be Taken Apart And Cleaned And Reinstall With Di-electric Grease Packed Into It.... Moisture Getting Into The Connectors Are Causing The Spades To Deteriorate. Does Look Like A Charging System Problem(suspect Stator) But Check The Connections To The Stator And Make Sure They're Not Corroded Too. When The Tach Doesn't Read At Idle Or Just Off Idle, Usually Indicates Not Enough Voltage To Properly Operate The Electrical System And As A Result, Tach That Doesn't Work And Rough Engine Idle Etc. You Might Have To Get It "scanned" To Check The Fault Code(engine Lite Flashing) And That Should Point You In The Right Direction. Go See Your Buds At Ski-doo. Good Luck Man.........;)

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
First Class Mechanic

Nothing better than having a mechanic on the site...great info Ric.

All Ideas From Above Are In The Right Direction. The Connection That Summiteer Is Talking About Is The Plug In Connectors To The Ecu(computer) And It Should Be Taken Apart And Cleaned And Reinstall With Di-electric Grease Packed Into It.... Moisture Getting Into The Connectors Are Causing The Spades To Deteriorate. Does Look Like A Charging System Problem(suspect Stator) But Check The Connections To The Stator And Make Sure They're Not Corroded Too. When The Tach Doesn't Read At Idle Or Just Off Idle, Usually Indicates Not Enough Voltage To Properly Operate The Electrical System And As A Result, Tach That Doesn't Work And Rough Engine Idle Etc. You Might Have To Get It "scanned" To Check The Fault Code(engine Lite Flashing) And That Should Point You In The Right Direction. Go See Your Buds At Ski-doo. Good Luck Man.........;)

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I will try the connections and change the plug wires too today.. I put this on dootalk and this is what one of there staff said

Ron, I do believe you just set a new benchmark for sled problem diagnosis on the forum - attaching a video of the problem.

I'm not convinced your experiencing an electrical problem other than your plugs. Check that your choke is working proberly at the carbs. Also, would be helpful to know your compression is still good. If your stator, voltager regulator, or MPEM was bad, your sled wouldn't likely be running. My suggestion, lets start with the plugs and see what happens

RON

farmer4ever

Reaction score
What summitric is saying is exactly right. last year while in the mountains my buddy's summit 800 did the same thing and eventually quite, leaving him near the notch @ corbin pipeline. Fortunately i doubled him out on my trusty polaris;) We talked to a Ski-doo dealer and they said they had no idea why it quite and couldn't tell us unless we brought it in. After 2 days of trying to make it run on the hill he broke down and got a helicopter to lift him out. Turns out it was just what Ric was talking about.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Motor is Done

Thanks everyone for the help, I guess I should have checked the compression. 140 in one cyllinder and 0 in the other. Took the head off, there is a slight roundness on the piston then a verticle gouge in the cyllinder wall. The ring must have broke. And this was without the nitrous, I guess I rode for a complete day on 1 cylinder..

I'll now do the 860 kit I guess. I'll have to put the sled away for the year..

:crying3: :crying3: :crying3: RON

Last edited by a moderator:

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Sorry To Hear, Man

YUP, I LOST A CYLINDER ON MY 670X MOD A FEW YEARS AGO..... SAME THING. JUST NEVER WISH THAT ON ANYONE:( .
INSTEAD OF THE 860 BIGBORE, GO WITH THE 900 CRANKSHOP ENGINE KIT: INCLUDES CYLINDERS, HEAD, 87MM PISTONS, PORTING, V-FORCE REEDS, AND TWIN "SILENCED" PIPES.... ABOUT 175HP ON PUMP GAS & 110 FT.LBS TORQUE..... WOW:eek: . THAT WOULD KEEP THE RELIABILITY FACTOR INTACT. LOTS OF GOOD KITS AVAILABLE OUT THERE FOR THE 800 DOO ENGINE. I WOULD PERSONALLY DITCH THE NOX, IF BIG BORING THE ENGINE, OR STROKING IT. OR JUST TIME TO TRADE UP TO A REAL "BIGBORE" KIT(SOMETHING LIKE MY LITTLE SLED).:rolleyes:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Ouch Ron, That sucks! At least its getting to be Quad time again.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Piston Pics

Here are some pics of the cylinder and piston damage

Attachments

• Resized_mar20 086.jpg
    Resized_mar20 086.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Resized_mar20 091.jpg
    Resized_mar20 091.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Resized_mar20 083.jpg
    Resized_mar20 083.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
hard to tell

Hard to tell by the pictures, but looks like pre-ignition..... Ron, are you using any octane booster or racing fuel mixtures??? It could be caused by not high enough octane for the engine set-up?? was that the cylinder that the carb boot was loose on???:confused:

04doo

Reaction score
Some numbers please

Could some one give some places or numbers for the big bore kits
Does any body have a 800 doo with a big bore kit in it how does it work can you still run it like a stock sled or do you have to be carefull when you are to the pin on the flat ground also does you have to run c12 or just 91 octane if i could talk to some one & get the answers i to would look at a 900 bit bore kit also how much H.P. comes out of the 900 big bore & what clucthing has to be done please let me know thanks

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
'04doo

crankshop is about the best complete Doo kits.... mots performance is the local distributor for crankshop(he should be able to answer most your questions)...... otherwise go to http://www.thecrankshopvt.com/
the crankshop website and there's lots of info on there. the 900 kit can be run on pump gas!!! That is supposed to be a "phat" kit!!!!:eek:

Wow, I actually copied and pasted...... I'm BAD

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also agree with Summitric. Talk to Ken at mountain magic in edmonton about his Rev that he had with the 900 crankshop kit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom