Simple Safety

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So went out today and i have to say is everyone with a pickup and ramps for loading pleas invest in a strap holding them from kicking out today buddy loaded his quad as normal and the ramps kicked out and it cam back at him and then came down and bent his tailgate. So simple thing and you dont think it would be but think about it.

Simmons

Reaction score
You need 4 straps to tie down the quad. Just use 2 of them to anchor the ramps until loaded. I asked the same question and someone sent me a video of ramps coming off while unloading and it was scary. Just a few seconds and the ramps are secured tight.:beer:

rare breed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would use straps to hold the as well,(mine uses small chain to hold to tailgate). i would also recommend that you check the cables on your tail gate as well. i was loading up one day when the cable broke,tailgate came loose. me 4wheeler,ramps,tailgate all landed on ground. just a few bruises,cuts etc. 4wheeler ok. if in dought of cables replace them, cost about 40.00 to replace both.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a guy really needs to tie'em down & be careful. We just had a guy here, who had spent the day riding with his wife, was loading his bikes to go home ... the ramp slipped, the bike rolled off & over on top of him & killed him. Now the wife had to call help & see all this. :(

We need to be careful & think at all times !

Later ...

bsan1827

Reaction score
Had my ramps kick off just as i was getting onto the back of the truck, didn't fall off but scared the crap out of me. Now I remove the gate and strap the ramps directly to the box, driving a long box helps.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ve had the ramps kick out just as I got in to the truck now i strap them to the reciver every time. My buddy was loading his quad into his truck in sptemember and his ramps slipped out and evrything came down and broke his arm still not at 100%,the one time he dosent tie his ramp off.

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To many bad stories one guy broken wrist another broken collar bone the list goes on and on i personally strap them darn ramps down and if i see someone going to to load the quad i give them the old speil safety first the quad is pretty heavy when its laying on you

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That almost happened to me last summer loading by quad into my S/D I had a set of alum trifold with the chains on both corners, the chains were hooked up but one broke right as I got to the top, the quad kicked sideways and I pinned it and managed to keep the quad in the box but it definatly got the heart movin.
And the X was loading on to a trailer last summer and a ramp slipped off I was rite there and held the quad up but it coulda been bad. Now I tie off all ramps when loading quads and always were my skid lid

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would use straps to hold the as well,(mine uses small chain to hold to tailgate). i would also recommend that you check the cables on your tail gate as well. i was loading up one day when the cable broke,tailgate came loose. me 4wheeler,ramps,tailgate all landed on ground. just a few bruises,cuts etc. 4wheeler ok. if in dought of cables replace them, cost about 40.00 to replace both.
there was a recall on older GM trucks(2000 or 01 to I don't know when) They replaced them with stainless for free. At least they did on my 02 chev

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tail gates cost too much to replace if you wreck emm tryin to load your quad... thats why i tie my ramps off..... skin and bone heal over time tail gates and paint coast lots of money....

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what i did was i placed my ramps on my truck in the position to load my quad and i drilled a hole throu my ramps and right into the tail gate i just put a 3 inch bolt into each ramp and it holds everthing perfectly in place and it has the added benifit of not haveing to recheck the spacing before you ride the quad up into the truck

my grand father fell off his truck twice because the ramps kicked out collor bone the first time fracture skull and broken arm the second and he still dosen't tie the ramps down my dad bitches at him evertime hes sees him loading his bike but you cant teach a old dog new tricks i guess
be safe out there people

bsan1827

Reaction score
what i did was i placed my ramps on my truck in the position to load my quad and i drilled a hole throu my ramps and right into the tail gate i just put a 3 inch bolt into each ramp and it holds everthing perfectly in place and it has the added benifit of not haveing to recheck the spacing before you ride the quad up into the truck

my grand father fell off his truck twice because the ramps kicked out collor bone the first time fracture skull and broken arm the second and he still dosen't tie the ramps down my dad bitches at him evertime hes sees him loading his bike but you cant teach a old dog new tricks i guess
be safe out there people

My Dad refuses to wear a helmet even though he's flipped his machine at higher speeds twice and he was there when my wife damn near killed herself bouncing her skull off a tree. She Fractured her skull and broke theh orbital bone in her eye. Some people just plain refuse to think a little about safety

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ouch i hope shes ok now
a lot of people wont wear helmets because they say they are uncomfortable take him to a helmet place and spend some time with him trying on helmets tell him that if he doesn't "have the time" to try on some helmets, that he may be spending time try out pine boxes. if its about the money just buy one for him it could be the best couple of hundred $ you'll ever spend on him.
hope you can get throu to him.
just my two cents.

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good lesson on throttle control there.. i relize the ramps did fall out but iv dont that b4 too and back tires just hit the ground no big deal...... other then my tail gate. He would have been fine if he would not have been holding it W.O.T. Just the way i see it . Hope he was okay though that looked like it hurt

farmboy020

Reaction score
Here is a story for you.

A bunch of my friends were out at a party by carbon and they live by acme. they were one there way home and hit some ice. They were 17 years old. they rolled the truck and all ended up outside of the truck by the time it was done rolling. They were not wearing their seatbelts. 2 kids got away with scratches. 1 wiht broke arm. 1 cracked his skull, broke ribs, his pelvis and his ankle. 1 wiht a broken pelvis.But the worst the drive a 17 yr old boy puntured his spinal cord and only has a 5% chance of ever walking again.

Top Bottom