Shootout! 2017 Ski-Doo 165 Summit 850 vs. 2018 Arctic Cat 162 M8000

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Generally when someone releases a superior product performance wise you have to entice people with price to move them... It would make more sense to you to have a $16,000 174 800 and a $16,000 165 850? You should open a dealership.

I have been offered positions at dealerships in the past and also have a family member who would like me to go in with them on a dealership as the current family who runs it wants to get out soon. Unfortunately they are both Doo dealers and even having a free Sled to ride being that it's a Doo isn't enough for me to even bother considering it more than giving them a bit of lip service.

I am sure you routinely employ that term so I won't have to explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Observation: I like the comparison, but I do have to question why the cat was "pinned" from the bottom and never let off, but you can "clearly" hear the Doo backed off the throttle at least twice on its ascent? Too bad there could not have been at least 2 runs on each.... but then again, the doo might have needed a new belt by then.... LOL

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just watched the video. Shows that the two sleds are very close in comparison, you'll never have a clear cut winner as the conditions are never the exact same. Good on cat for coming out with a new engine, hopefully it's as reliable as the Suzuki. With so now getting the 850 on a 175 it'll be an interesting year ahead. Wondering how the 174 aXys would fair in this shootout with two tracks to poke...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good job Arctic Cat, they have refined the proclimb to make it very good, a new powerful 800 that is race class eligible, now it just needs some time to prove reliability.....with this early release there should be some racing at Jackson Hole, should make for some good racing.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those who like meadows and open climbs:

For sure the 850 is torquy so it should spin the 175 track way better than the 800 e-tec did with the 174. That should make it climb higher than most of it's riders have the balls for. And I am sure BRP bought more than one AXYS 174 to pick apart and test ride against. It would be down right embarrassing if any Pre 2018 sled could outclimb the new 175 Doo. Would be interesting if Cat releases a 174+ sled this coming season. Then again, for this type of riding a 4 stroke turbo would be sled of choice.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Observation: I like the comparison, but I do have to question why the cat was "pinned" from the bottom and never let off, but you can "clearly" hear the Doo backed off the throttle at least twice on its ascent? Too bad there could not have been at least 2 runs on each.... but then again, the doo might have needed a new belt by then.... LOL
Ok you guys remember it was Ric that said it first not me so flame him! Lol. I as well noticed that on the vid. I think he backed off when the front end started to come up in the flat light making the first track ( I would as well) The Cat had another track to use for context in the poor conditions so able to be more aggressive with the throttle. Hard to say but even if it was a tie that new Cat engine is doing well in my opinion with a 50 cc disadvantage. Good job Cat. That will push both Doo and Poo to elevate their game.

snowrideadventures

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowrideadventures.com

Fair enough comment. There are a lot of variables that make it impossible to do an exact same test in those conditions- 1st was being able to see the hill. I rode the Ski-Doo the way I always ride it, if I let off slightly over knolls it was so that I wouldn't slap into the other side and loose speed. The Cat behaved a bit differently, the track was knifed into the snow so the knolls didn't affect the sled the same way as with the Ski-Doo where the front end is more planted- remember the riding position is also further forward. I said they felt pretty competitive in terms of climbing- which they did. It felt like the Cat had a bit more track speed and moved a bit more efficiently through the snow,....just being honest. It doesn't mean I'm selling the Ski-Doo and buying a Cat.

The Ski-Doo is out of break-in mode- engine, exhaust and clutching all stock- running clicker 2 on primaries so not to over rev.
The Cat was out of the box stock- no idea what was in it.

I did my best to do an honest comparison, sure you can pick it apart but I expect that if anyone was there at the time, nobody would have said that there was any bias in how the test was performed. I don't care which sled did what, I'm not supported by either of these companies. It was just interesting to compare the 2 in these 2 categories of performance as every other riding characteristic has more to do with muscle memory and technique. My assessment is that its a pretty level playing field for next season.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fair enough comment. There are a lot of variables that make it impossible to do an exact same test in those conditions- 1st was being able to see the hill. I rode the Ski-Doo the way I always ride it, if I let off slightly over knolls it was so that I wouldn't slap into the other side and loose speed. The Cat behaved a bit differently, the track was knifed into the snow so the knolls didn't affect the sled the same way as with the Ski-Doo where the front end is more planted- remember the riding position is also further forward. I said they felt pretty competitive in terms of climbing- which they did. It felt like the Cat had a bit more track speed and moved a bit more efficiently through the snow,....just being honest. It doesn't mean I'm selling the Ski-Doo and buying a Cat.

The Ski-Doo is out of break-in mode- engine, exhaust and clutching all stock- running clicker 2 on primaries so not to over rev.

I did my best to do an honest comparison, sure you can pick it apart but I expect that if anyone was there at the time, nobody would have said that there was any bias in how the test was performed. I don't care which sled did what, I'm not supported by either of these companies. It was just interesting to compare the 2 in these 2 categories of performance as every other riding characteristic has more to do with muscle memory and technique. My assessment is that its a pretty level playing field for next season.

We will have Lindsey's '17 163x3" Axys this weekend when i'm out we can throw into the mix.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks again! I think you did a great job of the video! Takes balls to put this on snow and mud with all the haters! I rode Polaris for years as well as Cats and currently on a X 174. Love the Doo but my eye is always on Cat and the 2018 is a winner I think. I will likely keep my 174 and pick up something in the 162-163 range as I feel I loose a bit of fun factor with the 174. Thanks again for the video.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last thing we ever want to see on skidoo n mud is a competitor coming any where near the perfection of (or even be better than....) your beloved doo.

you doo-laide guzzlers are funny.....you pick the smallest detail......prob watched the vid over and over just to find a flaw in this guys comparison.....lol

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive always really liked your reviews. You seem to stay pretty objective, and I like the fact that you arent supported by any brand so you arent "pushing" your sponsored color. Seems like all three are pretty darned good right now. Each is gonna have its ups and downs so pick a dealer you like and have fun.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy just got a 18 cat last week, talked with him last night, and his story was same as OP.. He said he's finnally got the edge on the 850 and says more to come after break in.. Doo better figure some stuff out, cats motor is dominating..

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track angle on that 175 looks rediculous, people wonder why these modern sleds trench. Reminds me of when the M10 suspension came out worked like crap until aftermarket modded it to flatten the approach.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy just got a 18 cat last week, talked with him last night, and his story was same as OP.. He said he's finnally got the edge on the 850 and says more to come after break in.. Doo better figure some stuff out, cats motor is dominating..

hahahahahahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaahhaha common fred!!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, no. It's for technical riding. Lol.

it is. we want light nimble front ends not a planted heavy POS. sure there might be climbing advantages by changing the attack angle but thats not for everyone. change the skid and the mounting locations if thats what your after.

Top Bottom