A week with the 2017 850 165

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recently had the opportunity to ride the new 850 for about a week straight. I demoed this sled in February of last year but was only able to spend about 2 hours on it and the snow was quite wet and heavy. My first impressions last year in the short demo ride were that this sled has a TON of power and traction. The bottom end response on this thing is crazy. The 165 3" track really hooks up well and I think the 3.5" pitch was a step in the right direction.

I've been riding since 2005 on pretty much every 2stroke brand. I live in Revelstoke for 4 months every year with the intent to ride every day. My last 5 sleds have been Polaris (3 pro/2 axys). Out of 10 sleds I have blown 9 motors so I could be in the hard usage category. My style of riding is climbing, sidehilling, and downhill runs in trees with deep snow.

So after a week of riding this thing and getting used to it I have to say it is an awesome sled. You cannot ride this sled like a Polaris. Wrong foot forward does not work and it was a struggle to stop myself from doing this as I've been doing this so long I don't even think about it. You want to stay as neutral as possible on it and if you do have to do a quick move and use wrong foot forward you better get that foot back on the running board in a hurry otherwise it will go uphill. So anyone who is used to Polaris/Cat I'd say to give this sled a fair shot you have to take this into consideration. The sidehill handling of this sled is better than the T3 but to me it is not as stable and predictable as the Axys chassis. The reason I say this is because when you can hang your foot off the running board you can use it to balance or push it into the snow to take weight off the machine and get through a tricky spot. But with the added power and traction I found I was able to slow the riding down a little to get through the tricky spots and recover where as on my Polaris I'd have to be wide open and not lose speed because if I did I wouldn't be able to get the momentum back again. I found the 850 harder to ride through tight trees but a much stronger climber and way more forgiving in the deep snow.

As good as this sled is, it does come with some first year issues that I sincerely hope BRP addresses for 2018. The oil consumption is absolutely ridiculous. $40 dollars of gas and $35 dollars of oil for a deep day. Definitely uses more oil than an 800 etec. In 6 rides I went through 2 belts. This is with the blowhole and added weight in the clutch weights (not in the tips just washers on the stock weights). I'm hard on belts in general but I think improved clutching and motor mounts would go a long way. The blowhole helps but it is not the solution. If you are riding early season it would probably be a good idea to have collision as the emod and smod don't look very fun to change. Hope it's a lot better for 2018. I do not like how the front suspension bolts to the emod and the smod, taking out 2 components in an impact instead of just 1.

This is a great machine and a step in the right direction and I think it will be improved for next year. All 3 brands have really strong contenders for the upcoming year and I don't think you could really go wrong with any choice. Pick the dealer that will look after you the best. Thanks to my good friend Carter for letting me use his sled for the week while my Polaris was getting its second top end this year!

Oldskoolp

Reaction score
Just the review I was waiting for I know I can trust this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jgibos

Reaction score
I went from a 2016 arctic cat m8000 last year to a 2017 ski doo 850 this year and im going back to arctic cat next year. The ski doo 850 isnt all that. Lots of belt issues and bulkheads are weak. Mine broke going down the road. Carbide caught a rock at a slight angle and cracked bulk head. I can only get about 400 to 450kms out of a belt on the 850. My 2016 cat had over 900miles before i decided to just change the belt for re assurance

curt234

Reaction score
I too only get around 400km per belt. I cut the bottom 4" of plastic off the guard and removed the foam. I don't ride all that hard cause I am out of shape and I let the belt cool off. One thing I notice is every time I open the clutch panel it's always cover in snow and water. I thing the clutch sucks in too much snow through the footwell. I do not kick snow through the footwell with my foot. I was hoping that this new sled would be better than my 08 on belts but it's worse. I must say I got sucked in with all the hipe and am disappointed.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you went from an '08 XP to a '17 G4 and weren't impressed? fuel injection alone....

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have around 1350km on my 850 this year and my opinion would be very similar. Easily the most fun stock sled I have ever rode. Still impresses me every time out. So easy to handle after the first couple days. Took some getting used to for sure though. Your spot on about the not being able to ride wrong foot forward and having to get back to neutral position after a hard move either direction.
First belt went at 560km
Second exploded at 1040
And now at 1350 the one on the sled is starting to pull a cord. So not impressive belt life at all. That said have rode side by side with a buddy on his 2015 XM (not a t3) and he has blown belts at the exact same time as me. Like within 5km. And these sleds have the exact same km on them, rode all the same lines and all. So maybe we are just a little too abusive. My 14 XM and 12 pro both liked to eat belts too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you went with a G4 would it be a 165 or 175?

I haven't rode the 175 yet but I'd imagine it's climbing capabilities are amazing. If you're only buying one I'd say 65 will be better all around or the 75 if you are gonna skip the low snow days.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't rode the 175 yet but I'd imagine it's climbing capabilities are amazing. If you're only buying one I'd say 65 will be better all around or the 75 if you are gonna skip the low snow days.

how many miles or k have you put on in the last two years?Also did you hit anything with the 850? get to ride one tomorrow at ckmp

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you went from an '08 XP to a '17 G4 and weren't impressed? fuel injection alone....
plus suspension, track, tunnels folding when in collisions, check the specs that sled was very light and the xp and xm have never approached it for weight again every year from 09 to 17 in that basic look was a massive improvement. If you have owned that since new and have ridden it you had to have had issues. The biggest issue with the 850 is that maybe it came out a year too early and should have had some more testing done.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how many miles or k have you put on in the last two years?Also did you hit anything with the 850? get to ride one tomorrow at ckmp

Probably around 2500 miles a year. Average ride is 30 miles. I didn't hit anything with it.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably around 2500 miles a year. Average ride is 30 miles. I didn't hit anything with it.

I rode one today and pruned a small tree lol all good.

Top Bottom