2017 Summit 850 165" vs 2017 Yamaha Sidewinder MTX 162"

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's just what I've seen online so far. Haven't actually gone to any dealers yet. Planning on doing that this weekend. The prices I listed out there are just the lowest I've seen dealers advertising on Kijiji for each of those sleds. $16,500 out the door seems like a pretty good deal on Sidewinder when you consider the MSRP of a new one is close to $20k.

Since you are from St Albert and if you decide to go with a Sidewinder go talk to Ryan over at Riverside, he is the one who hooked me up.

Oh and I would never buy anything BRP to support those leaches in Quebec getting all their government handouts.

Last edited:

summit1000

Reaction score
Since you are from St Albert and if you decide to go with a Sidewinder go talk to Ryan over at Riverside, he is the one who hooked me up.

Oh and I would never buy anything BRP to support those leaches in Quebec getting all their government handouts.

I plan to go in to Riverside on Saturday and check out the Sidewinder. I haven't even seen one in person yet, so going to do that and see how it feels on the showroom floor. I'll see if Ryan is there when I'm there. :)

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I plan to go in to Riverside on Saturday and check out the Sidewinder. I haven't even seen one in person yet, so going to do that and see how it feels on the showroom floor. I'll see if Ryan is there when I'm there. :)
Seeing how they feel on the showroom floor is absolutely useless on these sleds. Improper shock setup can make these sleds feel like pigs. They have to be set up properly.

summit1000

Reaction score
Seeing how they feel on the showroom floor is absolutely useless on these sleds. Improper shock setup can make these sleds feel like pigs. They have to be set up properly.

Well, I'd love to give one a try, but I can't seem to find anywhere that is renting them and I missed the Power Tour for anywhere close by. So, unless a dealer is going to let me test ride one, feeling it in the showroom is about how much of an experience I'll be able to get prior to buying lol. Hence why I'm looking for detailed opinions on how they ride.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Secondary rollers(they were soft and had flat spots)and turbo heat shield(cracked from heat)and oil tank sealant after 1200km

I just noticed my heat shield cracked. They give you a new one? I was just going to build something out of stainless.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd love to give one a try, but I can't seem to find anywhere that is renting them and I missed the Power Tour for anywhere close by. So, unless a dealer is going to let me test ride one, feeling it in the showroom is about how much of an experience I'll be able to get prior to buying lol. Hence why I'm looking for detailed opinions on how they ride.

Ill be out in Valemount for a week at the end of March if you want to come give it a go.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Summit1000..... buy what you like and feel good on. I agree the 850 is probably one the nicest sleds to ride. My suggestion if you go that route try for an 18 vs 17 as there is some issues with them. Take advice from many smart fellas in the doo section as some have better success with the belt thing. There is a reason the hills are populated with them as the XM platform and 800 etech was or is solid... so many just stay with brand.

As for Sidewinder it’s an amazing sled .. I say that because I have an 18 and it’s a riot. As for shocks on LE models Fox3 they are not horrible they just don’t harness the power the Sidewinder puts to track. That being said it’s fun as hell wheeling all over and all depends on your riding style. As for the alluded drop and roll and many have been taking out ... ummm I know of 2 in Canada and I stay well connected with the winder fellas .. oh and I was one of the 2 LOL... but my bad nor did the other one or I have skid plate... just some bad azz luck. As for reverse issue some have had an issue as there are ones that moisture crept into actuator motor... no biggy it’s warranty on the 17s. You don’t have to put a 174 on it to go or up you can put the QSL in back .. yup it works.

I have not owned everysled but in the neighbourhood of 23 over the years and the three best and funnest out of crate has been AC900 Kingcat 162, T3 174 & Sidewinder 162... I bet if I had a 850 175 I might say the same.

Pick & Choose your poison and have fun.

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/Qjdb9HfUbUk

I don’t own a sidewinder but have 2 buddies that do and get to ride them a lot. Super fun sled to ride. Is it the perfect sled? No. Every sled has good points and bad points. Only you can decide what you want out of a sled. Best bang for your buck is that 16 cat. Really good chassis, bullet proof engine, 3” track is very good. Will it come close to a sidewinder in the climbing department? Not even close.
If you want a super light ride with razor sharp handling buy a belt drive Axys. Not the most power but I feel the best handling of the bunch.
The T3 174 is a proven sled with a great engine. Won’t go wrong with that sled either. Lots of great sleds out there to choose from. Good luck.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going by your story and that price list, I'd choose the 174 t3 xm. Solid machine.
Next would probably be an 18 Cat 800.

summit1000

Reaction score
Ill be out in Valemount for a week at the end of March if you want to come give it a go.

I’d love to come check it out, thank-you for the offer :), but I think I gone the last week of March. Will have to confirm dates, but pretty sure I’m away that week. Maybe riverside will let me rip one around the parking lot lol.

summit1000

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/Qjdb9HfUbUk

I don’t own a sidewinder but have 2 buddies that do and get to ride them a lot. Super fun sled to ride. Is it the perfect sled? No. Every sled has good points and bad points. Only you can decide what you want out of a sled. Best bang for your buck is that 16 cat. Really good chassis, bullet proof engine, 3” track is very good. Will it come close to a sidewinder in the climbing department? Not even close.
If you want a super light ride with razor sharp handling buy a belt drive Axys. Not the most power but I feel the best handling of the bunch.
The T3 174 is a proven sled with a great engine. Won’t go wrong with that sled either. Lots of great sleds out there to choose from. Good luck.

Every time I watch a video of a Sidewinder, I’m convinced it is the sled I want lol. That power just looks like so much fun and it effortlessly climbs. I watched a video of a 174” Axys in Revy and the Axys is right to the bar struggling to make this climb through powder. The Sidewinder climbs it with the skis in the air and throttle to spare lol.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Some great comments on here. Thank you all.
Yamafest is April 7th in Revelstoke on Boulder Mountain. Just got Govt and Club approval yesterday. If you can make it please come to try 2018/2019 Sidewinders for yourself. Barring that please ask your local dealer if there are any Power tour slots open in March..
Ride safe!!
RS

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
So to put it in perspective, that is my sled with my buddy riding it which he hops on every once in awhile, looks super hard for him to handle eh! Back on that video I had my skid set up super stiff which did put a lot more ski pressure on and it still was easy to ride although 10 times better now, also notice how he was riding most everywhere at half throttle because it just doesn't need crazy throttle to do the stuff that 2 strokes do at three quarter or full throttle. The fuel tank is 10 litres smaller which I was upset about but I have been burning less fuel than most because I am not pinned everywhere, the difference is now I fuel up in the morning where we drop off fuel instead of on the way back so that I don't have a short day up top but in the end I usually put less in the tank overall. If its in your budget you will enjoy your purchase but some of those prices on 2 smokes are pretty hard to beat.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sold my 850 and am now looking at a sidewinder or 2018 cat 162 ! I have rode the sidewinder and did love it but just not sure yet if the added weight is going to get to me ! If anyone has a sidewinder or 18 cat for sale! Let me know! thanks

Top Bottom