RCMP in parking lots

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys that don't have insurance do you ride with out a beacon or air bag
If you don't have insurance better not have a pot to pi$$ in because if things go sideways you won't have a pot to pi$$ is.
I was in a little fender bender the guy that got hit walked away with over $50,000.
My daughter was out boating with her friends.
One friend was wakeboarding another friend was video him in a different boat.
Guy falls the boat behind hits him.
Now in the millions.
Crap does happen out there we just hope and think it will not happen to us.
My thought is hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too worried about me, but more about my insurance company going after whom ever. Especially if lost wages are incurred. Hope they can afford a really good lawyer LOL.
But hey now that you bring it up, it could be fun to show the dude a few tricks i learnt on my two tours in Bosnia. Now that could be fun for one of us. LOL

You’re not kidding, I was a witness of a major snowmobile accident in the mid 90’s, serious injuries. It was luck no one was killed.
I will never not have insurance thats for sure. Costs can add up quick.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no problems hanging over sled paperwork when riding public land.

If I have broken or suspected of braking a law then I will identify.

To many peeps getting false COVID tickets because they let the cops id them for no reason

This

Exactly my point. This thread was never intended to be about registration or insurance (I keep both on my iron btw) but more folks understanding their rights and not letting the rcmp abuse them by overstepping their boundaries and having you voluntarily comply to something your not required to protected by our CCRF’s. Freedom is to easily taken for granted and when it’s gone, it’s hard to get back. Look around the world

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I go south for a week of riding I insure my sled, you can buy one month at a time. The riding areas south tend to be busy.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This

Exactly my point. This thread was never intended to be about registration or insurance (I keep both on my iron btw) but more folks understanding their rights and not letting the rcmp abuse them by overstepping their boundaries and having you voluntarily comply to something your not required to protected by our CCRF’s. Freedom is to easily taken for granted and when it’s gone, it’s hard to get back. Look around the world

Operation of a motor vehicle or OHV is a privilege not a right. As such law enforcement can perform a stop any time, anywhere to check for license, insurance and registration if a vehicle is being or has been operated. You rights are not being violated, this law was ruled on in 1990 by the Supreme Court (see below). Fight the man all you want, you ain't gonna win.

Legislation passed in 1990 in the Supreme Court ruled that police may conduct a roadside stop if they are checking for either a driver’s licence, vehicle registration or proof of insurance. In addition, police have the right to pull you over for a random sobriety check, in which fitness of the driver is quickly gauged. Police may also reserve the right to pull you over if your vehicle is mechanically unfit to be on public roads. Things such as burnt out taillights and headlights are always grounds for a stop. Rule 5-4 of the Canadian Criminal Code states that driver rights are not violated in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in any of these scenarios. It is important to always remember that once you have been pulled over for any reason, you have the right to refuse questions from an officer, although many times cooperation will lead to reduced punishments or a warning.

https://fightthecharges.com/reasonable-grounds-police-stop-ontario/

Machomachoman

Reaction score
Operation of a motor vehicle or OHV is a privilege not a right. As such law enforcement can perform a stop any time, anywhere to check for license, insurance and registration if a vehicle is being or has been operated. You rights are not being violated, this law was ruled on in 1990 by the Supreme Court (see below). Fight the man all you want, you ain't gonna win.

Legislation passed in 1990 in the Supreme Court ruled that police may conduct a roadside stop if they are checking for either a driver’s licence, vehicle registration or proof of insurance. In addition, police have the right to pull you over for a random sobriety check, in which fitness of the driver is quickly gauged. Police may also reserve the right to pull you over if your vehicle is mechanically unfit to be on public roads. Things such as burnt out taillights and headlights are always grounds for a stop. Rule 5-4 of the Canadian Criminal Code states that driver rights are not violated in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in any of these scenarios. It is important to always remember that once you have been pulled over for any reason, you have the right to refuse questions from an officer, although many times cooperation will lead to reduced punishments or a warning.

https://fightthecharges.com/reasonable-grounds-police-stop-ontario/

a vehicle on a government road or government property they can fill their boots. Vehicle in the back of you truck or on a trailer, don't think so. as for "has been operated" so a warm sled in the back of your truck after you ride it on your property automatically becomes fair game to be checked for registration and insurance?

yah cops can be dicks about whatever they want, can find any reason to pull you over if they want, and usually will overstep their boundaries if they are doing a blitz(like checking for stolen sleds for example).

just how it is. doesn't make it right. the worry some part about the whole situation is if LEO think its ok to ask for information they don't have a right to ask for, where do they draw the line on right and wrong.'

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Time after time there’s guys on here faced with having their machines stolen....and people complaining that the cops never catch the guys.....then you’re bitching because the cops are checking paperwork and VIN’s in random checks.....so riddle me this....how are the cops supposed to catch thieves and stolen equipment without looking for it?
You may know you’re a stand up guy, your stuff is yours....but nobody else does, and you look like just another guy with a sled and a truck, one of dozens that those cops see every week...so either quit complaining about random checks, or quit complaining about stuff being stolen....

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vehicle in the back of you truck or on a trailer, don't think so. as for "has been operated" so a warm sled in the back of your truck after you ride it on your property automatically becomes fair game to be checked for registration and insurance?

Yes they can. Warm engine, tracks up the ramp into the back, you having gear on, they ask witnesses, they saw you riding, etc. It's called reasonable and probable grounds. They ask for insurance, you don't have it, they write you a ticket, now you have to prove in court that you weren't operating the machine.

DUI's are now the same way, an officer can stop you up to 3 hours after operation a motorized vehicle and assess for intoxication.

If you are, or were within the preceeding 3 hours, operating a conveyance and a police officer has reason to suspect that you have alcohol and/or drugs in your body, a police officer may make a demand on you to:

• Provide a sample of your breath, at roadside, on an Approved Screening Device (ASD)
  • Provide an oral fluid sample, at roadside, on Approved Drug Screening Equipment (ADSE)
  • Participate in Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST)
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ts-sr/aldr-id-cfa-aldr-eng.htm

Or if you don't like that, they can just say they are checking for stolen sleds.

In terms of vehicle or OHV related offenses you are often guilty until proven innocent.

Do I necessarily agree with it, no. But I have nothing to hide, so if I'm stopped I'll provide my documents, wish them a nice day and be on my way.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should carry some form of ID at all times in case of emergency. If you had a wreck and someone finds you unconscious the have some info about you.
I knocked myself out riding my bike at a resort, patrol found me but I had no id. They had no idea who to contact until my wife called in looking for me.

the operative word here is should, nothing says you SHALL, unless riding a vehicle requiring it?

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question: How Is it not illegal search or carding, if rcmp are going around asking folks in the parking lot for id, registration and insurance?
I thought the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms prevents unlawful searches (carding) unless suspected of a crime?

How is it any different than if they came up to you in Costco parking lot in Sherwood park and demanded the same ?

it is no different! police have the authority to ask to see your licence and registration and insurance if you are seen operating any motorized vehicle that requires registration. you are not required to show licence, registration or insurance or have to identify yourself if you are just standing in parking lot, walking down the street etc. unless you are under arrest, a witness or suspected of a crime. although you may PO the popo asking, also they usually carry guns?

info at 22:20 in this interview.

https://fb.watch/3GQV8ce7PO/

Last edited:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
he operative word here is should, nothing says you SHALL

Part 5 — Identification, Manufacturers' Stickers and Labels
Identification required
25 (1)A person, other than a child under the age of 12 years, must not use or operate an off-road vehicle on Crown land or prescribed private land unless the person carries photo identification.
(2)

Photo identification under subsection (1) must state the birthdate of the person carrying it, and be issued by one of the following:
(a)
the government;
(b)
the government of Canada;
(c)
the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
(d)
the government of a province or territory, or an agent of the government of a province or territory;
(e)
a foreign jurisdiction.
(3)
Photo identification issued by a foreign jurisdiction under subsection (2) (e) must be a valid passport or a driver's licence valid in the jurisdiction in which it is issued.
(4)​
A person required to carry photo identification under this section must produce it on request of an officer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plain and simple. Cops can do it and request your identification.
Does not say "Should or Shall"
Maybe I am missing something that the Snow and Mud lawyers have hidden in their aersonal of rebuttals.....

LOL, Bwhaa Ha Ha,
Maybe this debate stuff is a little fun and entertaining.

If you require referances.. My co-counsel, Moyiesled might provide it....
Operative word is "Might",, not "Will."

Just kidding, I could reallt care less...... Do what your going to do everyone,

This thread goes sideways and off track every few posts....

Love it.....

Need that popcorn picture inserted...

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Identification required
25 (1)A person, other than a child under the age of 12 years, must not use or operate an off-road vehicle on Crown land or prescribed private land unless the person carries photo identification.
(2)

Photo identification under subsection (1) must state the birthdate of the person carrying it, and be issued by one of the following:
(a)
the government;
(b)
(c)
(d)
the government of a province or territory, or an agent of the government of a province or territory;
(e)
a foreign jurisdiction.
(3)
Photo identification issued by a foreign jurisdiction under subsection (2) (e) must be a valid passport or a driver's licence valid in the jurisdiction in which it is issued.
(4)​
A person required to carry photo identification under this section must produce it on request of an officer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I am missing something that the Snow and Mud lawyers have hidden in their aersonal of rebuttals.....

LOL, Bwhaa Ha Ha,

Just kidding, I could reallt care less...... Do what your going to do everyone,

This thread goes sideways and off track every few posts....

Love it.....

Need that popcorn picture inserted...

hey GENIUS, maybe go back and read your first line, lol, some peoples kids. u are not required to show id if police stop you, as long as you are walking around a parking lot sidewalk etc. and are not operating a motorized vehicle. your reading comprehension astounds me!

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Identification required
(2)

(a)
the government;
(b)
(c)
(d)
(e)
a foreign jurisdiction.
(3)
(4)​

LOL, Bwhaa Ha Ha,

I think some people have a hard time differentiating between Canada and the USA when it come to individual rights. Maybe because of TV and Internet.
The fact is do your research, the USA is a Democratic Republic which governs by Constitutional constraints and sovereignty is held by individual citizens.(individualism)

In Canada that is not the case, Canada is a Democratic Monarchy, where majority rules and there are NO constitutional constraints on the government. Sovereignty is held by majority rule and not by individual or individualism.

So Yes the RCMP may and can ask for ID as stated above by multiple members on here and it is not a violation of your rights.

Do the research, this is not the USA.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lund

then you would be wrong! google it. yes they can ask for it anytime, you are required to show your licence, registration, insurance when you are driving a motorized vehicle on Public lands and roads. also if being charged for a crime or suspectedof one. you do not have to when on private land , walking down the street or vehicle passenger. that is the law in Canada , i have no idea what goes on in the states.

https://fb.watch/3GQV8ce7PO/ this is the law here in Canada starts at 20:20 or so, Randi Hiller interview with police officer.

A Citizen’s Guide to Rights When Dealing With Police (in Canada)

svan.ca : Police rights

Know your rights

When dealing with the police, it is important to know what your rights are. This document will provide you with information about what you must do, what you do not have to do, and what you may wish to do in situations involving the police.
This pamphlet contains general information only. It is not a substitute for legal advice and is not intended to replace legal advice from a qualified lawyer. Persons seeking legal advice or guidance with a particular problem should consult with a qualified lawyer.
What if I am stopped by the police?

Police officers can stop you under three general circumstances:

• If they suspect that you have committed a crime
  • If they see you committing a crime
  • If you are driving
If the police do not arrest you or if they do not have grounds to detain you, they must let you be on your way. To find out if you are under arrest or detention, politely ask the officers, “Am I under arrest?” If they say yes, you can ask why. Alternatively, you may ask the officer “Am I free to go?”, and if the answer is no, ask “why not?”
Do I have to answer their questions?

The police are allowed to approach you and ask you questions. In most cases, you do not have to answer their questions if you don’t want to. However, it is always a good idea to be polite.
If you have been involved in a car accident, and the police ask you questions about the accident, you could be charged with an offence if you do not provide any answers.
If you are detained by the police, they must inform you that you can talk with a lawyer and provide you with an opportunity to do so. It may be a good idea to not answer questions from the police until you have spoken with a lawyer.
Anything you say to the police could be used as evidence in court. Under some circumstances, statements that you are required by law to provide, such as accident reports, cannot be used against you, but this rule is not absolute.
What if the police ask who I am?

If stopped by the police, they will likely ask for your name and address. They may also ask you for identification. In most cases, you are not required to provide this information.
However, if you lie about your name or address you may be charged with obstructing justice or obstructing the police.

If you are stopped while driving, the police may ask to see your driver’s licence, car registration and insurance. You are required to provide this information, and if you fail to do so you may be charged with an offence.
If you are riding a bicycle, and the police see you commit an offence (such as failing to stop at a red light), they can stop you.6 If asked, you must provide your name and address to the police in these circumstances. They can arrest you if you refuse to do so.
What if I am stopped by the police while driving?

The police can stop cars at any time to determine if a driver has consumed alcohol or drugs, to see whether a car is mechanically fit, to check whether a driver has a valid licence, or to make sure a driver has insurance. The police may also stop your car if they suspect that you have committed a driving offence.
If the police ask to see your driver’s licence, car registration and insurance, you are required by law to produce these documents. If any of these documents are in the glove compartment, tell the officer that you are reaching for the document before doing so.
Can the police check to see if I have been drinking alcohol?

If the police suspect that you have been drinking alcohol, they can make you do a roadside breath test. They can also ask you to do a physical sobriety test, such as walking in a straight line, on the side of the road.12 You do not have a right to speak to a lawyer before taking a roadside test.
If the police have reasonable grounds to suspect that you have more alcohol in your blood than the legal limit, or that your ability to drive has been affected by alcohol, they can take you to the police station to do a breath test, sometimes called a “breathalyzer test”. You do have the right to speak to a lawyer before taking a breath test at a police station.
Can the police search my car?

If your car has been stopped by the police to check your sobriety, the mechanical condition of the car, or your licence, registration or insurance, the police cannot search your car. They are, however, allowed to look in the windows of your car, and may use a flashlight to do this if it is nighttime.
The police are only allowed to search your car if they have reasonable and probable grounds to believe that there are illegal drugs or alcohol or evidence relating to the commission of a crime in the car. They must also believe that the evidence, drugs or alcohol would be removed or destroyed if they were to get a search warrant.

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Time after time there’s guys on here faced with having their machines stolen....and people complaining that the cops never catch the guys.....then you’re bitching because the cops are checking paperwork and VIN’s in random checks.....so riddle me this....how are the cops supposed to catch thieves and stolen equipment without looking for it?
You may know you’re a stand up guy, your stuff is yours....but nobody else does, and you look like just another guy with a sled and a truck, one of dozens that those cops see every week...so either quit complaining about random checks, or quit complaining about stuff being stolen....

What he said !!!!

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
hey GENIUS, maybe go back and read your first line, lol, some peoples kids. u are not required to show id if police stop you, as long as you are walking around a parking lot sidewalk etc. and are not operating a motorized vehicle. your reading comprehension astounds me!

Well, just way to many "GENIUS" variables here...

If you have key to sled/kill switch you actually have "Care and Control" of said Off Road vehicle...

Lets say 4 sleds unloaded in parking lot and only 4 persons. Pretty safe to say they are all ridding....
Oh wait, "No officer, I am actually towing 1 extra sled up the mountain as a spare." Yah right....

There is always another law that seems to coincide with another one.. Ever notice that???
You drove there and the cops have a total right to ask for id if you were driving. If you were also a passengar in a vehicle it is also their right to ask for id of passengers..

Unless you brought sleds on a horse and carriage, I would say that u need to produce identification.

Damn, another law that over rules section 25(1), and now makes it mandatory to show id,

Cops are not stupid people.. They are actually pretty "GENIUS" type people....

That would be how they out smart people and criminals, murderes, etc........

Isn't this senseless bickering fun...... I forgot how this works.

You serve the ball, I hit it with the raquet and return it. Bwhaaaaa... LOL.

Don't get all worked up, All in fun. "GENIUS."

Is there really an issue, just talk with the RCMP. They are really human beings doing a job.
You can always ask why they need id and explain u have done nothing wrong...

They generally will tell you why,,,,..

Easier to be nice is what I found.

Each to their own.

This is a funny video.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=226553212520196

Last edited:
Top Bottom