Pull behind holiday trailer.......need advice please

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The furnace wood goes in whole and I only stack furnace wood up to 10" in diameter. The stove wood is the bigger stuff, like the bottoms of the trees and we split daily with a maul. That gets/keeps the arms in shape for sledding.

Sounds like a lot of work, U burn pine/spruce

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, with him heating house and shop with wood, was thinking the ash build up may be a bit much, unless pine or spruce. Green birch at cutting and hauling time may be a bit heavy hauling, a lot lighter at burning time though. Poplar/aspen here though is easy to get, splits easy, burns hot when dry, but leaves behind a lot of ash.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The new addition to our family this fall. G400 | HeatmasterSS Outdoor Furnaces
This thing is awesome. Burns everything.

Sorry if we high jacked your thread.

No problem. I have been as guilty as most with the high jacking :D

I don't really care what kind of wood I gather. Fir is best and I like beetle killed pine. I take what I find and so far have had to drive no more than 5 kms. I don't cut or bring home any green wood other than birch. I let birch dry for two years.

Chimney gets cleaned Xmas/early January and again in the spring. One either loves the work with wood heat or one hates it. We like it and sitting by the fire with a nice refreshment and a few tunes is awesome.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Birch is the best burning wood in the west. Oh I forgot to mention fernie that our trailer is a arctic fox. Forgot the 22h is now a Nash model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We find wood heat becomes part of a life style as well. We would have really liked indoor wood heat but the layout of the house wouldn't allow for it, plus it is already all in floor heating so options were limited.

Because the stove is outdoors so is the mess. I find if you can get any wood that is dry or have the room to allow it to dry its all good. Not many places are fortunate as western Canada to have many different types to choose from. I like to run a balsm, hemlock, pine mix adding popular as I clear land and it dry's.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I'll say here is before you buy it, turn on the furnace and see how loud it is. My parents 20ft KZ Trailer has what I'm pretty sure is the loudest furnace ever. It vibrates the whole trailer and will wake you up every time it comes on.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jayco has my vote also I bought a 5th wheel an my folks run a 27ft bunk house in the Jay flight series, mine is the eagle series they are both well made great trailers, I take mine hunting and lots of trips everything is working and in good shape, there's alot of junk outthere, so be careful!!:)

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is very anal about the quality of things he buys. This summer he bought a new trailer, Topaz touring edition. It is a very nice trailer indeed. His second choice was the Timber Ridge 4 season, although there were a couple build quality issues that bothered him.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A friend of mine is very anal about the quality of things he buys. This summer he bought a new trailer, Topaz touring edition. It is a very nice trailer indeed. His second choice was the Timber Ridge 4 season, although there were a couple build quality issues that bothered him.

If you don't mind me asking, what were the issues bugging him?

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned several brands over the years, and my next one will be a Arctic Fox, very good build quality, a four season rv....and they really hold their value, you really get what you pay for
They are areally good manufacture, but 4 season is a huge stretch.... we tested an Artic fox and Adventure four season truck campers....at 20 below, placed 4 half filled pop bottle's in critical spots, with furance's set at 16 degree's for 2 days, frozen water.... spent a couple days insulating the inside's of the outside shower, battery compartment, propane tank compartment, installing shut off valve's to isulate the outside shower, cut some more vents into storage area's, ran an extra heat duct to the under floor comparment, Also cut 2" ridgid foam and placed in behind all the outside doors, re tested and worked, no more frozen water bottles, have since used in minus 15 - 20 and worked fine....we also have the ability to park it in a heated shop when were back, so we can drain the tanks....blow out all the water and park it outside till next time....

If you ever run it out of propane or your tanks freeze up, or furance dosent light while travelling.....we check on it everytime we stop....

Both units are now 4 season usable.....in resonable Alberta weather....

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, what were the issues bugging him?

He said Timber ridge is good value for the money in terms of 4 season capabilities. However, the fit and finish isn’t comparable to our Canadian made units. He went on to say that If you want higher quality you have to look at the upper lines produced by the Arctic Fox family of RV’s.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
He said Timber ridge is good value for the money in terms of 4 season capabilities. However, the fit and finish isn’t comparable to our Canadian made units. He went on to say that If you want higher quality you have to look at the upper lines produced by the Arctic Fox family of RV’s.

From what I have read, I have to agree. I haven't found a floor plan in the Arctic Fox line that is compatible with our wishes. The Timber Ridge has a frame that is built by Northcott Man. (the same as the AF), so one has to make choices and so far the Timber Ridge is better than a lot of them.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A good riding buddy of mine had an entry level Outdoors model last summer and didn't like it too much. Traded it in on a Blackrock by Outdoors and is very happy with it, only single pane windows though. He only hauls it on FSR's and it has given him no trouble so far.

The deed is done. 2015 Black Rock 4 season 250RLS. Pick it up on Friday. I think it was TylerG who said something about liking the floor plan would be a big determining factor and the manufacturer may not be the number one priority but rank right up there. The floor plan was pretty much the factor.

They would like to sell all that extra fluff; mouse protection, fabric protection, paint protection, extra warranty, etc.. I don't usually go for that. What doo you guys think?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The deed is done. 2015 Black Rock 4 season 250RLS. Pick it up on Friday. I think it was TylerG who said something about liking the floor plan would be a big determining factor and the manufacturer may not be the number one priority but rank right up there. The floor plan was pretty much the factor.

They would like to sell all that extra fluff; mouse protection, fabric protection, paint protection, extra warranty, etc.. I don't usually go for that. What doo you guys think?

Fabric you can do yourself. Paint you can wax yourself. Honestly only a few companies make all trailer appliances and they seem to last forever.

I would not do extra warranty.

Mouse proctection,,,a friggin mouse can sneak into the smallest opening.

What are they giving you a cat???

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Fabric you can do yourself. Paint you can wax yourself. Honestly only a few companies make all trailer appliances and they seem to last forever.

I would not do extra warranty.

Mouse proctection,,,a friggin mouse can sneak into the smallest opening.

What are they giving you a cat???

Didn't ask about the details for mouse protection. I don't have any trailer experience but I could only think about them climbing up the sewer house and getting into the floor area (aren't those all sealed up nowadays?). The doors won't be a problem as it will be just the wife and I.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

250RLS or 25RLS? I can only find the floor plan for the 25RLS on their website, looks to be a true "retiree's" floorplan, no room for grandkids at all ;)

Top Bottom