Propane fire pits

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
With a camping season that is sure to be full of fire bans I'm going to be proactive and fine alternate means.

So who has a propane fire, how do you like it, where did you get it. I've done a little looking and so far not impressed with what I've seen. The inlaws have one that threw very little heat and was under whelming. So anyone have a good one they can recommend

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought this one on sale at Wally Mart last year in Salmon Arm, when we found out about the fire ban....
It worked well, I carry a grill that we have used on open fires, we used it on this to do some cooking...
I think it worked well, it was pretty warm even at night so we all thought it was throwing good heat, it has a 58,000 btu burner and we went through a 20 lb tank in four nights...

Attachments

• Fire Pit.jpg
    Fire Pit.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 358
  • Fire Pit.JPG
    Fire Pit.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 357

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the same one, and buddies have different brands. They don't compare to a campfire for heat output, so don't expect that. Up side, beside actually being able to still have a fire......no smoke in your eyes, and no scavenging for fire wood. Use mine in the summer even if there is no fire ban. Easy peazy instant fire, and don't really need the heat in August anyway.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got the same one and no issues here either. Not like a true camp fire with wood but great substitution during fire bans which looks like we are getting close to having them already.

Bought this one on sale at Wally Mart last year in Salmon Arm, when we found out about the fire ban....
It worked well, I carry a grill that we have used on open fires, we used it on this to do some cooking...
I think it worked well, it was pretty warm even at night so we all thought it was throwing good heat, it has a 58,000 btu burner and we went through a 20 lb tank in four nights...

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My folks have the same one it works well and is enough to take the chill off on a coolish night.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I through up a post on Alberta Fire Ban thread, and I came across some info on the Alberta sight suggesting that a person is not suppose to have an open flame heater in a fire ban zone, "in Alberta", but it is ok if your in a fire alert area.

Kind of a 50/50 deal as it states that you are aloud to have open flame for cooking, so with that said, it only makes sense to have a cooking grill that you can put over top of the propane fire pit as it might be classed as a stove for cooking.

West of Rocky Mt House is under a fire alert as of April 8th. 2016 as I'm trying to find the newer up date.

It states you can have a small fire in a fire alert situation, but it must be attended when burning and extinguished when not in use. Nothing new in that category.

I hope someone finds the info of having a bon-fire on crown lands, rules and regs that is. "Not federal and provincial park regulations."

The info I found for Alberta was pretty sketchy.

I like the idea of a back up fire plan with propane.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Costco , $99 the are almost a necessity these days with all the fire bans. Down side is more stuff to bring. You have to sit close and keep it low or it chews through a 20lbs bottle really quick. 4 people can snug around one.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Saskatchewan parks they won't let you use them when under a fire ban. Good thing you can return almost anything to Costco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the same as most above. Works well but can go through propane fast. I think 30lb bottle would bebetter than a 20lb (in our experience). Quite convenient when needed and once the rocks heat up, produces enough heat to be comfortable. Can even use it under the awning which is nice when raining (or snowing). As previously mentioned it can be nice not to have the smoke or scrounging for wood. Yeas, another thing to carry but we like having the option.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
For anyone looking at the Walmart one, costco.ca sells the same ones, and they're about 20% cheaper. Just a heads up.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the costco one. We got ours originally for out on our deck. Worked well last summer during fire ban. BC Forestry guy that was going around to campsites to make sure nobody had fires said it was fine too.

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Costco one for me too. Good for one evening on a 20lb tank when on high and enough room for 4 people if you want to be close enough to get much heat. Multiple units work well for larger groups. They stay cool enough to use on a deck or camping mat/carpet and on low setting are fine under an awning.

Top Bottom