The fast start to the summer fire season.

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

First photo is a spot on the two mile fire second is the fire line a quest village the fire burnt right to the break. At the fire break the floor was only burnt so I’m not sure if they tried to do a hack burn or something that’s shy if looked that way.

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_3742.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

They moved all the vehicles to the water line up at quest village looked creepy up there.
The choppers flying out of our property go through one of those b train fuel trucks every 2 days. Cool to watch them fly in and out if there.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m no fire suppression expert, but with the amount of lakes in the Okanagan area, where are the larger fixed wing water bombers? Are they being used?? The little air tractor only has a 3100l capacity.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m no fire suppression expert, but with the amount of lakes in the Okanagan area, where are the larger fixed wing water bombers? Are they being used?? The little air tractor only has a 3100l capacity.
The sad truth is that most of the big fixed wing stuff is privately owned and goes where the money is best. California and various European countries suck up most of them and contract them in the spring for good rates before the fire season starts. It’s another example of what little priority forests have with all Canadian governments. They place no value on the forests. The put no money into managing the forests properly then are stupefied when a bad fire season hits. They’ll spend billions dicking around in their efforts to fight fires that they let get so big they can’t possibly control them.
Smart governments would sit down ahead of time with loggers and others who work in the woods every day and figure out a plan on how to manage the land to minimize fire spread if it happens. Fund, train and equip hot shot crews and rapid response firefighting teams to catch fires when they’re small. Put the money in the pockets of local companies all year round building fire cuts, access roads and other forest management initiatives instead of pouring money into trying to fight a losing battle after their mismanagement let fires get so huge.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sad truth is that most of the big fixed wing stuff is privately owned and goes where the money is best. California and various European countries suck up most of them and contract them in the spring for good rates before the fire season starts. It’s another example of what little priority forests have with all Canadian governments. They place no value on the forests. The put no money into managing the forests properly then are stupefied when a bad fire season hits. They’ll spend billions dicking around in their efforts to fight fires that they let get so big they can’t possibly control them.
Smart governments would sit down ahead of time with loggers and others who work in the woods every day and figure out a plan on how to manage the land to minimize fire spread if it happens. Fund, train and equip hot shot crews and rapid response firefighting teams to catch fires when they’re small. Put the money in the pockets of local companies all year round building fire cuts, access roads and other forest management initiatives instead of pouring money into trying to fight a losing battle after their mismanagement let fires get so huge.
You nailed it with this post Sir (sad but totally true)

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im a logger and we do that multiple times a year. There has been a huge amount of money spent on building fire brakes in our region. It has to be done strategically and out of the natives eyes, unless of course it is around their village.

Then the tree huggers come out, hug a few dead pine and think they are saving the world.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thank you sir, I tried googling the answer before I posted, but it does not seem to be talked about. I did find that the Martian Mars was used in a big Fire in Kelowna years ago, I cannot remember what fire it was. During my search it seems Coulson has some pretty neat equipment for fighting fires. Their night fighting capability is very cool, I would think the insurance companies would help with fires such as the white rock lake fire in Vernon.
The drive on westside rd was a nice drive. I feel for the residents.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My home is in the community of Killiney Beach along westside road Okanagan lake.
According to the latest update there has been 75 homes lost in our community.
As of right now i have no idea if i have a home standing.
Wife and i are living out of a suitcase and have been for 2weeks.
Please if your a tourist in the Vernon area, GO THE phuk HOME and leave the motels for evacuees.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My home is in the community of Killiney Beach along westside road Okanagan lake.
Please if your a tourist in the Vernon area, GO THE phuk HOME and leave the motels for evacuees.
Sorry to hear you are in that situation. Hope things turn out OK for you. Can only imagine what you are going through.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We saw the fires from Preditor ridge across the lake.
I know 1 person personally who lost his house along that Killiney Beach

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Hopefully things work out for you and your family. Now I see a few members here going through some difficult times. Thoughts are with you all.

Top Bottom