backfired now wont start

butters

Reaction score
Could be the reed petals broke after a big back fire. You can take a look with a bore scope. It's not much fun tearing the sled apart to check reeds if nothing is wrong with them.

Marmot MB

Reaction score
Firstly I want to thank the great people who offered opinions and idea's thank you that is what makes forums and communities like this so great.

Can't tell you what fixed it. I think exactly what the Cat mechanic at Argyl told me to do. pull three times, remove plugs dry it out, put plugs back in and keep doing it as much as it sucks till it starts. I did this probably 11 times today, along with burning off excess in likely not wise ways.

when at the point of thinking it had to be the reeds I did not do what I normally would have done and tear into it. Instead this time I walked away went to a friends house and had a drink.

came home though what the heck I will pull it, even with pipe off, well son of a gun it started then quit. pulled again started ran longer and quit, spraying fuel all over the place. put the pipe back on with a few springs and tried again a few times.. waited a few minutes then third pull it started and stayed running smoked like a bastard and stayed running for 10 mins, gave her a few revs, seems okay.

It is late so did not want to piss off the hood, I am calling it a win.

I did not see the post on pinching fuel line with needle nose vice grips but note I will in the future tyring to dry out a flooded M8.

very glad I did not tear into the reeds.

Lessons learned.....

Do not run your M8 out of fuel.... Bad !

Do not be an idiot and WFO the throttle and keep pulling..... BAD.

if it floods, just put the time in and pull three times take out plugs dry and repeat until it starts. I added flame to this recipe.

Huge relief I thought I Blowed her up Goooood !

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I have run mine out of fuel and filled up and started no problem..you said in your first post your digital cluster isn't working properly.... You could still have a short somewhere that could cause you issues down the road. Deff. Something I would look into fixing.

Any electricL issue can cause headaches and possibly ecu problems. And those things aren't f'in cheap

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
What i do when flooded up like that is take spark plugs off but put them back on the wires then rest the plug on the hole but not screwed in, disconnect your fuel pump and injectors, then start pulling, it should pop every time you pull it over getting rid of fuel each pull, you'll have to put your plugs back on the hole every time unless you zip tie them or have a helper.

Edit: forgot to add this is with the pipe off so it vents easier to the air, and easier to get at plugs.

Last edited:

Marmot MB

Reaction score
this is a great way to go about it, as long as it doesn't cause fire balls in the engine bay. A much better in the "field" way of doing it though.

thanks.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would still check the reeds, andas someone mentioned earlier, just clamp the fuel line if it acts up again. Like Moyie said, wouldn't hurt to put some dielectric grease on the plug either. Shouldn't really be dumping that much fuel into it though, especially not at idle. Let us know if the problem shows up again.

Marmot MB

Reaction score
Just a update to the big "Flood"

Went to Revelstoke for a few weeks with 7 days of sledding, M8 started great every morning, all day long, even after rolling it over, at high Altitude and low.

Obviously it just got really flooded.

I did find out that it is good to let it run for a few seconds when you come to a stop, if you don't it will backfire a bit on shut down or on start back up.

besides that the ole sled was super reliable and a great machine !

Top Bottom