Power or Weight? what wins....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What costs more - power increase or weight reduction? Where is the our dollar best spent? This probably isn't going to be a technical discussion for most people that ride a stock sled, more for those who usually look to get a little more than that.

OK so let's say you have a stock 800, with 160 HP and it weighs 550lbs (assumes 1/2 tank of fuel). This sled has a weight to power ratio of 3.44lbs/hp. That's to say - each HP has to move 3.44 lbs.

Now before you go off and say "Brand X only weighs ____", I will tell you not to bother because I don't want to hear what you read in some magazine about what the pre-production sled weighed with a tank full of helium under water. If you don't believe me that the average 800 class sled weighs about 600 lbs "ready-to-ride" then go weigh your sled full of fuel and oil, with full gas can on the back, add 10-15lbs for snow accumulation and prove me wrong. I assumed 550 lbs for the math because the sled will full in the morning and empty in the afternoon.

So if you are going to spend the $$$ - where would you spend it?

On the newer sleds there is less fat to trim but 30-40 lbs can be taken off and for a relatively low cost (around $1000 say). So for $1000 and a 35 lb reduction, you can get your lb/hp ratio down to 3.2 lb/hp. A lot of the weight reduction comes from things that you might not need and that is free weight reduction (speedo -where possible, headlight, extra bogies, hood, etc). Much of the $1000 would be spent on things like maybe a can, seat, etc.

So if you're down to 3.2, how does this compare to someone spending $1000 on motor mods (the "Power" in P vs W)? $1000 gets you pipes. It might get you a head and a fuel controller. Pipes are typically good for 15 HP on a given motor (just a #, likely on the higher end). Fuel controller and head probably about the same. NOS does not count, because its not something that can be there all day, but I do agree that NOS is money well spent, just not for this discussion.

So with the motor mods you are up to 175 HP, and you are at a 3.14 power to weight ratio.

Let's up the ante to $6000 - for $6K you would be able to build one heck of a lightweight sled, say you could drop the weight to 425 lbs wet = 2.65lbs/hp

How about the same $6K on motor - that's obvious - boost. $6000 gets you 225 HP (now anyone that tells me their boosted 800 makes way more than that needs to back it up with a dyno sheet.....) and a weight ratio of 2.53 with an adjusted weight of 570 lbs for the added turbo weight.

Comparatively on paper, power always wins. But we have not factored in how the lighter sled handles in the hills, how much less effort it is to ride, get unstuck, etc etc. Also, modified motors have a higher tendency for BOOM! so take into account the reduced lifespan or the potentially reduced riding time.

Most people seem to spend their $$$ right in the middle, a little bit on both sides of the power vs weight boundary. I'm more of a lightweight fan personally, and I try and get as much power without too much input cost, but by the pure math it looks like we should all go out and buy turbos.

Does knowing the math change anything? and if not, then why not?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for me ive been doing alot of comparing lately on the hill. the difference 30-40lbs ride weight makes a HUGE difference that you may not realize. my friend. 150lbs. and me closer to 190lbs both with identical sleds and tracks. he goes places i cant touch. im comfortable at the 150hp+- mark for power and where it takes me. my 1000 goes towards lightening up the stock machine like mentioned gutting the useless junk and ditching 40lbs right away. i will never sink the first 1000 into motor mods until i have squeezed everything from it stock. move it to 6000 and there is big weight to be lost in the skidframe and structure even on the new sleds. i would purchase a carbon fiber skid 4500 and the rest would go into producing 160+hp out of the engine.

turbo sleds are awesome and alot of fun. but for my type of riding i have never went a day where i wanted the extra ponies and cost and associated downtime from adding a completely new mechanical system to an already complex mechanical system plequed with problems 50km out in the unrescuable backcountry.

i think finding the right combination of weight reduction. proper flotation and traction and massage it with minor engine mods and you have the perfect setup.

yes i can throw 8000 at a turbo system for a machine..and mathematically win horsepower wise but..

at the end of the day i like to throw a light sled around that is simplistic in nature where the power follows my thumb and goes in the direction i point it without hesitation.

jeffg463

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice little post, quite thought provoking. I would love to lighten up my sled as I feel sometimes I just don't have the weight myself to throw it around as I would like to. But considering the type of riding I do, mostly lakes, trails, fields and ditches, and the machine I ride, power addition wins out. I want to sort of accomplish both, add a lightweight muffler-and increase horsepower. Change the ECU and increase a lot of power with no weight gain. I would just like to leave the sled as stock as possible, on the outside anyway.
Knowing the math, for me, doesn't really factor in as I've not put that much thought to it, sorry.
As a guy, more power is always exciting to me! That's my 2 cents. :) and Merry Christmas to all at Snow and Mud!

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I simply need a Personal Trainer and a 30 lb weight loss....sled can happen after that.
:beer::beer::d:beer::beer:

A big x2!!! cheapest thing I can doo is drink less beer loose 40lbs and away I go!! It would seem however i have no will power. :(

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the weight reduction route. once clutching and other engine performance tweaks are done to maximize existing powertrain performance, my next focus is on making the chassis more rider friendly and losing a few lbs without sacrificing durability/reliability.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
great post...
After years of riding heavily modded motors, with BigBores, Race fuel, etc, I've been really enjoying riding a (mostly)stock engine and just tuning it to run perfectly. The sleds nowadays are really quite light to begin with, and very powerful to boot. My .02 is getting that power to the snow in the most efficient manner possible. With clutching, suspension set-up and traction control, you get that 150+ hp through the track and onto the snow.
My first 1000 goes into clutching and suspension(other than a can.) I have no problem handling the sled, and enjoy the reliability of a stock motor(with some happy gas, of course just for those times it may be needed.)

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbo power hands down! Boost at elevation is the way to go less losses.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been on the fence whether I'd like to turbo in the future. After lightening my sled up a bit and adding some extra power, I'm totally content with my sled the way it is. Perfectly flickable, has the balls to get me where I need, and most importantly it's reliable. I don't stop to tune it at all. I don't need any race fuel. I'm never the least bit concerned my sled will let me down. Right now I'm down probably near 40 lbs or so, and pumping around 15 more horse than stock... That in itself made quite the difference. Pull the rope and rip!

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been tossing around decisions that are involved with both losing weight and or adding power. I keep coming back to the idea of a good running stock sled, and as of late I have been looking at ways to lighten it up. I already have a can, my next thought has been get a hood Diamond S, or a lexan hood of some sort. Maybe down the road I will consider going with a rear skid. So to me at this point I would rather spend my 1000.00 on making it a little lighter and operator friendly....this is going to be an interesting post, look forward to see what the majority of sledders look at for improvements. :d

Last edited:

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been tossing around decisions that are involved with both losing weight and or adding power. I keep coming back to the idea of a good running stock sled, and as of late I have been looking at ways to lighten it up. I already have a can, my next though has been get a hood Diamond S, or a lexan hood of some sort. Maybe down the road I will consider going with a rear skid. So to me at this point I would rather spend my 1000.00 on making it a little lighter and operator friendly....this is going to be an interesting post, look forward to see what the majority of sledders look at for improvements. :d

I gotta say... If you're still running your stock intake, that's what is weighing down your hood. Once all that trash is gone, the hood (WITH HEADLIGHTS AND GAUGE IN) is pretty much like a feather. You'd be gaining merely ounces there.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as with anything else its the style of riding you do more than the mathematical portion of it.

if you want a 700lb 350hp sled and like to highmark then go hard.

that same sled will not work for me whatsoever. i will hop on it for a second and say wow that thing is crazy! but you wont see me riding one.

yep you can also have a 350hp 500lb sled...but at what cost? more than im willing to spend..

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been on the fence whether I'd like to turbo in the future. After lightening my sled up a bit and adding some extra power, I'm totally content with my sled the way it is. Perfectly flickable, has the balls to get me where I need, and most importantly it's reliable. I don't stop to tune it at all. I don't need any race fuel. I'm never the least bit concerned my sled will let me down. Right now I'm down probably near 40 lbs or so, and pumping around 15 more horse than stock... That in itself made quite the difference. Pull the rope and rip!

What have u done to drop 40lbs? Wonderin if im missin anythin thats an easy loss

rsw84

Reaction score
Total personal preference i would say, but Maxwell said it best. When your hours away from the truck and its gettin dark you cant see your front bumper and the temp drops, the last thing i wanna have to worry about is some monster under the hood that gets grumpy from hangin out in the mid range ... put it to the bar and go where you want all day with no hiccups is worth tons to me man....

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
every pound of rotating mass you remove is like removing 11 pounds of weight of dead weigth from the sled , I can't remember where I got this info it made a big improvement on my dragster got me lots of them there tropheys spend the $$$$$ on lite weigth rotating parts :cool:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as with anything else its the style of riding you do more than the mathematical portion of it.

if you want a 700lb 350hp sled and like to highmark then go hard.

that same sled will not work for me whatsoever. i will hop on it for a second and say wow that thing is crazy! but you wont see me riding one.

yep you can also have a 350hp 500lb sled...but at what cost? more than im willing to spend..

This is the baddest mountain snowmobile in the WORLD!
One of only 2 Ski Doo Summit 1200 Prototypes ever.
This sled is the "Ultimate Ski Doo" featured in Mountain Mod Mania 8.
All carbon fiber chassis with built in 15 gallon tank by C3 Powersports.
1200 Four Stroke engine turbo'd by Powderlites with all the performance add on's. Nextech carbon fiber skid and titanium arms by Alternative Impact.
All the bodywork is carbon fiber too! Billet primary clutch by Polar Clutches,
adjustable secondary, SLP PowderPro skis with carbon saddles, graphics by Snowmobile Detailing. Sled weighs 470 lbs with a 174" track!
Run on pump gas and make approx 250HP or run race gas and make up to 400HP! Over $45,000 to build!
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1023x682 and weights 159KB.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the baddest mountain snowmobile in the WORLD!
One of only 2 Ski Doo Summit 1200 Prototypes ever.
This sled is the "Ultimate Ski Doo" featured in Mountain Mod Mania 8.
All carbon fiber chassis with built in 15 gallon tank by C3 Powersports.
1200 Four Stroke engine turbo'd by Powderlites with all the performance add on's. Nextech carbon fiber skid and titanium arms by Alternative Impact.
All the bodywork is carbon fiber too! Billet primary clutch by Polar Clutches,
adjustable secondary, SLP PowderPro skis with carbon saddles, graphics by Snowmobile Detailing. Sled weighs 470 lbs with a 174" track!
Run on pump gas and make approx 250HP or run race gas and make up to 400HP! Over $45,000 to build!
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1023x682 and weights 159KB.
I just sold a nitro stage 2 with lots of light weight parts. Nothing will touch it on the big stuff but she's alot of work inthe trees. I am now building a carbon sled chassis type unknown. But it will run a pump gas m8 and be super light. Maybe a carbon xp or m chassis. Weight is everything. My bud rides cutler 1000 m7. He did a run on a hill and was ripping over the top out of control. 140lbs he weighs. I am 230. And the same hillwith me on it I barely made it. That's 90 lbs difference. I am going to try light on my next project.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have to agree with the weight reduction route. its unbelieveable where my sled goes with my 150lb buddy riding it vs my 225 lb a$$ slowin it down.

i would love to lose some more weight off the sled, but some of the easy losses are ones i'm not prepared to deal with, headlight/ tailight. others are just to expensive to do,

i think i'll just work on becoming a better rider and then worry about changing the sled:d:beer:

Top Bottom