Possible problems with the 174 T3

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually when you know how to ride that type of sled, you'll find that a 174 will get stuck alot less and when you learn how to get unstuck, you will find a 174 is easier to get unstuck and not harder.

Contrary to popular believe you actually donot loss track speed with the longer 174, you actually can gain speed as you donot trench or sink as much thus less resistance gets applied to the clutches. In other words your little 800 will use less HP pulling a 174" track up a hill then a 163" up the same hill in deep snow.
On hard pack very little is noticed between a 163 and a 174, once the rolling resistance is overtakin. The 174 is a superior option in every way.
lmao i have been learning how to get unstuck since 1971. what i said is what happens when you get stuck it will be a bitch, just because someones sign up up date on some effing internet forum is recent it doesnt mean that they lack real world experiance

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lmao i have been learning how to get unstuck since 1971. what i said is what happens when you get stuck it will be a bitch, just because someones sign up up date on some effing internet forum is recent it doesnt mean that they lack real world experiance
I don't think Lund was dissin' your abilities to ride, he said "this type of sled" meaning a 174" X 3"....I'm certain it will take some getting used to. no doubt a guy will get it stuck, I'd rather do it on a 174 summit than a 163 boosted yami. like maxwell said, it's only another few inches of total length

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was talking talking to Rene a few min ago

He said on flat show room floor the 174 t3 was easier than a 154 to flop over

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
The price is probably weakest point ......you could probably build a 174 wedge and could be 10X the machine for half price :smiliestirthepot:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Seriously, a sled with 174 do get stuck on occassion but once you know what to do and not to do with a sled equipt with such a big track you quickly find out its 99% of the time rider error when you do get stuck.
They will go through snow with alot less effort, around trees and up steep inclines with less hp then a shorter tracked sled will need. It will also recover from rider error much easier, while a shorter tracked sled might of just left you stuck.
One thing is, if your the type that feels you need to lift a sled out to get unstuck....goodluck...any long track sled will anchor in no matter what..153 or 174 and will be nearly unmovable.
I stopped lifting sleds out of holes yrs ago, so how much it weighs means very little, they are all heavy. How long a track is basically means a bigger foot print to get out of a hole, once you get a footing it will drive out...experience makes a HUGE difference on how to.
BTW, most sleds with 174 you will see realy stuck are up a long chute, in a spot that most won't or can't get to.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personnally i don't believe a 174" track is the best alround track for any sled out there.
Now being on a 174 for 3 season now, it is undoubtly the best in the extreme deep and steep stuff. I use a 174 because i have the tendency of carrying alot of gear on my sled, which means alot of weight and i spend most of my time riding way off in the backcountry by myself or with wife. I also guide so the ability to move around for my customers to help them out is always a big bonus.
The #1 biggest problem with this track is the fun factor ends when the snow sets and the DEEP powder is gone. IMO if your needing to have a more all season fun sled the 174 is not a good option, but the 153 and 163 are better all around tracks.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^
Well said Lund
Same as you as have had the 174 going on 5 th year and only fun is when snow is deep.
Started with 2.5 inch then 3 inch and now back to 2.5 as the 2.5 I find to be better all around.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^
Well said Lund
Same as you as have had the 174 going on 5 th year and only fun is when snow is deep.
Started with 2.5 inch then 3 inch and now back to 2.5 as the 2.5 I find to be better all around.

I did the same, started with the 3" and kept loosing the lugs and burning out sliders. So now run the 2.5" and no issues.
In my case riding with the wife i'am pretty much on my own when stuck. Plus the weight advantage she has she could get around better if it wasn't for my 174 combined with the power of the turbo.
I scale nearly 260Lbs with all my gear on, while the wife scales 180Lbs with her gear on. Combined with the fact my sled is 100Lbs heavier then her's, she almost has a 200Lbs advantage over me. Plus that is not inclueding the gear and spare fuel i carry, more relistictly its more like 250Lbs advantage she has.
Thank god for 4stroke turbo and 174 for me.
BTW she runs a 163"

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seriously, a sled with 174 do get stuck on occassion but once you know what to do and not to do with a sled equipt with such a big track you quickly find out its 99% of the time rider error when you do get stuck.

Nah. It's 100% rider error every single time we get stuck! Sled didn't drive itself there! :yahoo::yahoo:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personnally i don't believe a 174" track is the best alround track for any sled out there.
Now being on a 174 for 3 season now, it is undoubtly the best in the extreme deep and steep stuff. I use a 174 because i have the tendency of carrying alot of gear on my sled, which means alot of weight and i spend most of my time riding way off in the backcountry by myself or with wife. I also guide so the ability to move around for my customers to help them out is always a big bonus.
The #1 biggest problem with this track is the fun factor ends when the snow sets and the DEEP powder is gone. IMO if your needing to have a more all season fun sled the 174 is not a good option, but the 153 and 163 are better all around tracks.

Good info there......likely a lot of people going to buy that 174 and it won't suit there typical riding days

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good info there......likely a lot of people going to buy that 174 and it won't suit there typical riding days

This is likely to be the biggest issue, turning out a trenched out 154 is way easier than a 163 and the 174 will require that much more effort when pushing the sled to its vertical limits and turning out justbefore you submarine it.

The other big issue will be the sad puppy faces the the owners of the other three sled manufacturers that do not have a 174, or 3" option on their 163. Glue can only hold so much flickability together.....yuk yuk yuk!

I'm sticking with my 14XM 163, enough sled for me and only 450KM so far.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I learned a long time ago that highmark counts not high hole. Guys will have to play with it to see how much they can get out of it before they have gone past the point of no return. HaHa.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is likely to be the biggest issue, turning out a trenched out 154 is way easier than a 163 and the 174 will require that much more effort when pushing the sled to its vertical limits and turning out justbefore you submarine it.

The other big issue will be the sad puppy faces the the owners of the other three sled manufacturers that do not have a 174, or 3" option on their 163. Glue can only hold so much flickability together.....yuk yuk yuk!

I'm sticking with my 14XM 163, enough sled for me and only 450KM so far.

with a little practice a guy can make a 163 come back down in its same track... .........174....it can happen. just feels like your heading skyward on a rocketship takes a little getting used to lol

Top Bottom