Check the sliders on the T3's

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just had the 500 km check-up done on the T3 174. At 550 km the sliders are down to the wear line. Yes, there was some marginal snow and yes, I didn't think I needed the scratchers every ride. 3000 km on the 2014 163" and the sliders are still in great shape.

So at 550 km this is a little bit of a surprise. The addition of an extra set of boggie wheels (toward the front of the skid) was advised, also having the scratchers down all the time on the trail. There is a little bit of a learning curve with these 3" 174" tracks.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for posting Doug!! May look at trying the scratchers that mount on the back of the skis for the extra help. Do you know where one would find those Doug?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rightsideup , his t 3 had 230 km and sliders where done

Factory scratchers down the hole time

He installed extra wheels

And I still think the ice storm ski scratchers are the answer for them

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ski scratchers work the best for cooling and slider wear. 3"tracks have always been hard on sliders

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i guess all those honeys holes of yours are low on snow as well... Lol

Just had the 500 km check-up done on the T3 174. At 550 km the sliders are down to the wear line. Yes, there was some marginal snow and yes, I didn't think I needed the scratchers every ride. 3000 km on the 2014 163" and the sliders are still in great shape.

So at 550 km this is a little bit of a surprise. The addition of an extra set of boggie wheels (toward the front of the skid) was advised, also having the scratchers down all the time on the trail. There is a little bit of a learning curve with these 3" 174" tracks.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its been said over and over, 3" tracks DON'T like low snow conditions and trail's. Us after market guy's been down that road when the 3" came out but you guy's on stockers figure BRP know's better. Doubtful as they get their ideas from the after market guy's.
Yes extra idler will help some and so will scratchers that are used regularly on harder surfaces. (including off trail on hard pack).
We found when it comes to idler's on 174 rail's, its best to use 4. 2 near front shock assembly and 2 mid way down the rails. Why, we found the 174 tends to make a wave effect on trails and wears the slider like a wave. Heavy near the front rail curve and two third of the way down the rail. They wear like someone took a jig saw and couldn't cut a straight line.
Another thing is keeping a much lower speed when on hard pack trails.
All and all, the 3" track for the benefits you get, they are a pain in the arse, thus why many guy's that ran them such as me don't any more, unless your in deep all the time and that's unrealistic.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea thats the nature of the 3" tracks. with any sled you should run your scratchers down at all times on the trail snow lubricates the skid and its not getting enough without the scratchers down. especially on the 3" tracks. the stock scratchers are not enough IMO to keep those sliders cool. they work but not well enough. replace them with one set of ice storms and your sliders will last 2 seasons. not my first rodeo with 3" tracks and they NEED constant snow flying at them. the stock scratchers are a great concept but the end tip design is not functional enough. i am hoping they redesign the tip to spray more snow into the skid for next season because they have enough down pressure, they are in the ideal location and they clear the track no problem which most aftermarket scratchers do not do on the 3" tracks.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Install a set of hyper fax sliders n be done with it $ 270.00 problem solved. Spring time they are a must.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Install a set of hyper fax sliders n be done with it $ 270.00 problem solved. Spring time they are a must.

Problem not solved, you still need to cool the rails and slider's. I have seen several including myself not getting enough snow up into the rails and the track clips getting so hot that they discolor go soft and break and start damaging the track. One guy i was riding with went and touched the clip not thinking and ended up with a good burn.
You still need to use idlers and scratchers.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode behind a few T3 and could smell the sliders on the trail. When I got mine the extra idlers went on before first ride. I would like to see some of the T3 type scratchers for the skis.

Top Bottom