polaris ?

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Twice this weekend at the S&M Campout while going up a steep hill for an extended period of time my 07 polaris 450 sportsman started to bog down.Both times I had to stop and when I started to go again it was fine.Can anybody suggest what the problem might be.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem could be that it's just a Polaris....:p:p...

On a more serious note did it feel like it was loading up on fuel causing it to bog or maybe the clutches are hanging up and not shifting properly.

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem could be that it's just a Polaris....:p:p...

On a more serious note did it feel like it was loading up on fuel causing it to bog or maybe the clutches are hanging up and not shifting properly.
Not sure what u mean by loading up .I know the 1st time it happened I was going about 60kmh and backed of on the thottle for a second went back on the throttle and thats when it started to lose power gradually to the point I had to stop . One of the people following me (yes on a honda,no I wasn`t pulling it) said he could smell gas.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the problem but two of the folks we rode with on Saturday had their Polaris over heat because the rad plugged up with mud. I think they just lost power and then they got a warning indicating the engine was over heating. They pulled the rad cover off and washed it in a puddle then used a plastic bottle with a squirt top to push water through the rad to flush out the mud. All was good after that until going through more mud.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Mine died on Thursday the vent for the gas cap plugs up with mud and the fuel will not flow to the carb, I loose the cap and the air sucks in and blow the vent hose out all is good.
Maybe your quad is overheating and going into limp mode(if there is one on a poo) cause they got the winch and the rad mixed up and put them in the wrong places so the rad plugs with mud. Have a look at the rad make sure you can see through it that is the key not just the mud washed off the outside

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what u mean by loading up .I know the 1st time it happened I was going about 60kmh and backed of on the thottle for a second went back on the throttle and thats when it started to lose power gradually to the point I had to stop . One of the people following me (yes on a honda,no I wasn`t pulling it) said he could smell gas.

This sounds like you have clutching issuses. When you let off on the throttle momentarly and giver some rabbits to go again the clutches have not back shifted enough yet and the bogging comes from them not being reponsive enough. Its kinda like being in to tall of a gear and your lugging. Pull the belt cover and visualy look for worn, dirty clutch parts... have you taken on water or mud in the belt case before? That may be the culprite

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't think it was overheating,no warning indicator and rad was pretty clear and hadn't hit any serious mud yet.

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This sounds like you have clutching issuses. When you let off on the throttle momentarly and giver some rabbits to go again the clutches have not back shifted enough yet and the bogging comes from them not being reponsive enough. Its kinda like being in to tall of a gear and your lugging. Pull the belt cover and visualy look for worn, dirty clutch parts... have you taken on water or mud in the belt case before? That may be the culprite
OK I'll give that a try,thanks

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe your quad is overheating and going into limp mode(if there is one on a poo)
Poolaris as you call it never goes LIMP like all the rest!!!:devildancing:. Now that thats done were you in high range or low, was it a steep hill? If it was kinda steep and in high range you may have cooked the belt a little. The smell of gas may have come about because the vent for fuel is in the handle bar pod. You might have burped some gas into the line. It happens to mine and I learned to ignore it. Or last if you were running low on gas the steep hill angle might have run the engine dry for a second.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would have to say it is a jetting problem. the 400 and 450 have a common problem of being jetted wrong from factory.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would have to say it is a jetting problem. the 400 and 450 have a common problem of being jetted wrong from factory.

Knowing that Donk was in the mountains riding when these issues were taking place if his quad runs fine a lower elevation would it not be running to lean at 2000m or higher if it were jetted wrong? Is his quad carbed or efi? The low range high range selection would cause an issue though. The hills were pretty steep. I still think it would be a clutch or belt issue myself IMO..

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I too had overheat issues saturday after the rad and rad shield filled with mud, but sunday after it was pressure washed out it was all good. I think if I were to own a Polaris, I would be moving the rad, and custom building a winch mount for it. Thats 2 years in a row that I've rented Polaris 500's and they have overheated on me, puts a slow down to the whole group when they have to stop for you to let your bike cool down.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey TG by next year you should own a quad. By the way how did you make out with the rental company and the piece(s) that fell off while trailering down the highway to the campout? Umm if you buy anything other than a polaris you shouldn't have problems with overheating or getting stuck in the skeg as bad as you did....:d

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey TG by next year you should own a quad. By the way how did you make out with the rental company and the piece(s) that fell off while trailering down the highway to the campout? Umm if you buy anything other than a polaris you shouldn't have problems with overheating or getting stuck in the skeg as bad as you did....:d

They never charged me as it fell off on the way out of the city. I dealt right with Trent when I took it back. Elk Island is a really good dealership, if anyone owns a poo and needs service I'd take it out there, its a bit of a drive but totally worth it. They are great people.

Next year might be pushing it for me to own one, I hope to buy a new vehicle next year, but that might end up pushed into this year instead, we'll see how things go. I should eventually buy some property too so that my stuff can come out of dads yard.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeez Tyler, get your priorities straight. Live with Dad, buy a quad, buy a vehicle... It's all good.:devildancing:

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey TG tell them to be nice cause ultimately you get to choose the senior assisted living home.....:d

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I checked the belt ,it looked ok to me. taking into elk island on monday for a service .Thanks for the input.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the bike is carbed. it won't be a belt problem. even in low these bikes will have a problem going up hills with the jetting.

Top Bottom