Please help 5.0l or ecoboost f-150

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is my dilema, i am for surely buying a 2012 f-150 proabbaly this week. Here is what i am going to do with it. Roughly about twice a month i will be hauling my 26 foot travel trailer and my 2010 yamaha grizzly to the cabin which is 2 hours away from me and mainly flat with a couple of small hills. My total pulling weight loaded up might get around 8000lbs. I have the ford brocure in front of me and the ecoboost crew with 3.73 will pull 9500lbs and the 5.0l with the 3.73 will pull 9200lbs. Is the eco worth it or should i get the more trustworthy 5.0l????

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with the 5 litre if your planning on keeping it for a long time. I would think there is higher maintain cost on the eco, such as rebuilding your turbos. This is just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would also say 5.0L, very good motor not alot to go wrong compared to the eco-boost, Im thinking at around the 80-100K km mark those eco-boosts are gonna start to show signs of wear and tear and are gonna need some major overhauling where as that 5.0L will still be purring along with only minor everyday maintenance. I drove a 6.2L a bit this past winter and that motor IMO puts the eco-boost to shame, not sure if thats on your radar? Im a dodge guy but if I was gonna switch over truck brands it would be to a f150 6.2L. That motor really puts out and mileage isn't all that bad either. Pulling that much weight it probably would be close to the eco-boost if not better on fuel

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with 6.2 as i had one and not one thing was done to it in 100000 kms. I know this isn't many kms for a motor but just saying. For milage it was as good as anything else and the power was good.

I am sure the other two choices are great but between those two i would go 5.0L if your planing on keeping it over the warranty term. Proven and has been around for along time.

If your into performance i have heard that you can bolt a intake and a uploaded programmer to the 5.0L and will make another 50hp. Something to think about also .

Good luck with your choice as the Ford 1/2 ton is a great truck and has alot of room on the inside which you are used to with the mega cab.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
being a ford dealer i would tell you eco boost. The maintanence is minimal on these trucks as the turbos are like any diesel treat them right and they will last! these trucks have been tortured and past the test!The 5.0 and 6.2 are both proven motors and are very strong if your talking the 50+ hp gains from a programmer you are talking about the eco boost the 5.0 and 6.2 are both strong performers when chipped up but the ecoboost seems to come to life the most with the chip intake exhaust. if your gonna be using it as more daily driver and some towing then go ecoboost. We have had more people that are driving jetta's,focus,cobalts,etc. for commuting back and forth to work but are now needing a a halfton truck and most for daily driving some hauling are going ecoboost. The ecoboost is such a strong performer that i'am considering unloading my diesel for a ecoboost and I have been diesel power since 2003.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You here more to the tune of what you are saying. The 50hp gain i have been told you have to change the intake to the mustang in order to get those kind of gains. Wished Ford would build a super crew longbox as that would be all a person would need for some of us.
But i guess they thing it would take to much away from the Super Duty. Your thoughts as you sell them.

being a ford dealer i would tell you eco boost. The maintanence is minimal on these trucks as the turbos are like any diesel treat them right and they will last! these trucks have been tortured and past the test!The 5.0 and 6.2 are both proven motors and are very strong if your talking the 50+ hp gains from a programmer you are talking about the eco boost the 5.0 and 6.2 are both strong performers when chipped up but the ecoboost seems to come to life the most with the chip intake exhaust. if your gonna be using it as more daily driver and some towing then go ecoboost. We have had more people that are driving jetta's,focus,cobalts,etc. for commuting back and forth to work but are now needing a a halfton truck and most for daily driving some hauling are going ecoboost. The ecoboost is such a strong performer that i'am considering unloading my diesel for a ecoboost and I have been diesel power since 2003.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 5.0 if you change the intake and the heads out to the mustang ones make some serious gains I know of a 5.0 in the states that changed the heads,intake,exhaust,tunning,throttle body spacer, and a set of kooks headers and made some pretty serious numbers close to 115+ on 91 octane fuel so that is some serious power to be had out of a halfton considering you usually gotta supercharge to get that 120+ hp out of them but then your nearly $10,000 deep YIKES!!! I'm wanting to trick an ecoboost with KEM tunning and upgraded turbos see what that truck can do! But yes I'm with you on the supercrew LB halfton and I think ford will step up more on that end as the half ton sales have been up big time in the last couple years so i think ford is really gonna focus there attention and energy on the halftons more than the superduty for a couple years. IMO the superduty is awesome and for a couple years i would leave it alone and start making some more different half ton variations and really perfect these trucks cause once all the kinks are out of the eco boost it is gonna be the motor to copy if your gm and dodge and yes i own gm as well and have no problem saying that gm and dodge need to step up big time cause ford is knocking them out of the park with there new lineup!

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jaredszakacs do you think they'll do a E 150 cargo van with the ecoboost?My wife place of work have a 1/2 ton ecoboost for a delivery truck[mine and mill stuff]always loaded and they love it.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what there up to in that market I mentioned to the reps that ford should have the options of the ecoboost, 5.0,and 6.2 in all there half ton models and i think it would do quite well! I'm trying so hard to get them on side for the harley package in an eco boost because that would just be a beautiful package I love the 6.2 but for me a twin turbo motor is what i like cause i'm a performance FREAK and no truck of mine stays stock so thats why i'm so intrested in the eco boost I know the capabilities of the 6.4 twin turbo and now seeing the capabilities of the eco boost makes me really wanna dive into one and see what these babies can do!

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey jared do you think ford will offer a gas TT in the f250 line up? I dont know about the 3.5 but what about the 5L? i think that would KILL. Im thinking about upgrading from my 05 ram 1500 but i want a half fuel efficient 3/4 ton and i dont want to go diesel (to hard for my kind of daily driving). If ford did a TT gas in a 3/4 ton i would be first inline to try it!

sry dont mean to hijack the thread

supercrew75

Reaction score
Here is my dilema, i am for surely buying a 2012 f-150 proabbaly this week. Here is what i am going to do with it. Roughly about twice a month i will be hauling my 26 foot travel trailer and my 2010 yamaha grizzly to the cabin which is 2 hours away from me and mainly flat with a couple of small hills. My total pulling weight loaded up might get around 8000lbs. I have the ford brocure in front of me and the ecoboost crew with 3.73 will pull 9500lbs and the 5.0l with the 3.73 will pull 9200lbs. Is the eco worth it or should i get the more trustworthy 5.0l????

I work at a ford dealer and I have had an ecoboost and a 5.0L, the Eco is awesome for pulling and will pull up to 11,300lbs. The 5.0 is a great motor as well but you will be right at the max of what it can tow. The 5.0 has better mileage in the city but the ecoboost is better on the hiway. I currently pull my 9000lb trailer with a ecoboost and load the box with my bike and my sons. I have put about 15000 km of towing on the Eco and would recommend it to anyone.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey jared do you think ford will offer a gas TT in the f250 line up? I dont know about the 3.5 but what about the 5L? i think that would KILL. Im thinking about upgrading from my 05 ram 1500 but i want a half fuel efficient 3/4 ton and i dont want to go diesel (to hard for my kind of daily driving). If ford did a TT gas in a 3/4 ton i would be first inline to try it!

sry dont mean to hijack the thread

I'd like to personally see them messing with the motors a bit and being able to do some cool things. a 3/4 ton 5.0 or 6.2 twin turbo would be bad ass I know they do lots of tweaking with there svt packages so maybe a rare 6.2 TT would be a sweet special edition SVT style truck!

Moose

Reaction score
i have a ecoboost and my dad has a 5.0L we both use them for checking wells and everyday driving, milage is close to the same. both r good choices. i think it comes down to what ever u decide that day

Moose

Reaction score
forgot to add when i bought mine 5months ago they didnt offer the 6.2L with the6.5ft box in a supercrew.. they may have changed it now i dunno. but just a thought for you anyhow

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is my new 2012 ecoboost with its new booties. IMG_2386.jpg IMG_2388.jpg

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go eco, i bought one and my father also has one. These things are great for towing and i would suggest one to anyone looking to get into a ford F150

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, i will be pulling this trailer. It weighs about 6400lbs with the water tanks full. I pulled it with a demo f150 ecoboost with the same 3.73 gears and max tow package that mine has and it pulled it easily. I took it up 2 long steep hills and it did not miss a beat. The e rated tires that i just installed should also give me some more help. No wish for extra power.

Top Bottom