F:150 3.5L v6 ecoboost or 5.0L v8 Which one?

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new truck but i dont know witch one. I like my fords so I am going to stick with them but i do not know witch engine to get. The 3.5L v6 has twin turbo 365 hp and 420 ft pounds of torque. The 5.0l has 360 hp and 380 ft lbs of torque.

What I am worried about is when the turbo's go the are very expense to change. About $1,300 each turbo plus labour. I know they will last a long time but just wondering for the future.

I would like your feed back on these trucks from you people who have one of them or know about them.

WITCH TRUCK DO YOU RECOMMEND

Last edited by a moderator:

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: F:150 3.5L v6 ecoboost or 5.0L v8 Witch one?

My old man just got the ecoboost in his new platinum I would get one if i was getting a new truck, the mileage is good and i was very impressed with the pulling power when we were pulling his boat.

andystepper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i'd personally go with the v8. i just don't trust a gas turbo engine towing anything.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'd like to see a 3.5 used for a year or two before I bought, just to see what kind of bugs work out of them.

everything I've read and seen sounds/looks good, but I won't make a decision for a year.

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'd like to see a 3.5 used for a year or two before I bought, just to see what kind of bugs work out of them.

everything I've read and seen sounds/looks good, but I won't make a decision for a year.

I was thinking the same thing. Its a new engine, new truck so there would be bugs to work out

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing. Its a new engine, new truck so there would be bugs to work out

it isn't an all new engine, just new to the trucks been using it for a while in the lincolns already. but like hd said will be nice to see how it works in the bigger grocery getter world first.
worst i have heard is turbo failing because it wasnt cooled down prior to engine shut off, pulled a ong hill witha heavy load and shut it off as soon as they got to the top, seized them both up tighter than a bulls azz at fly time. :d

4mcntrls

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Eco-boost all the way, quite a few guys are running them and love them. Good pulling power and better economy when empty. Best of both worlds

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am not much a Ford guy but I watched a video on the ford website about the V6 ecoboost and they beat it up pretty good, you should try and find the clips.

they run the v6 motor in a factory for over 100,000 miles then put it in a truck and make it pull trees and different things and drive it across ameraica, worth a watch!!!!:beer:

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am not much a Ford guy but I watched a video on the ford website about the V6 ecoboost and they beat it up pretty good, you should try and find the clips.

they run the v6 motor in a factory for over 100,000 miles then put it in a truck and make it pull trees and different things and drive it across ameraica, worth a watch!!!!:beer:

That would be an interesting watch

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

my boss has a platinum one, say it puts his 08 5.4 harley davidson to shame, i have a 2010 ram and they tow test it against it and it out tows my ram and the new rams are stupid powerful. It also completely destroys the 5.3 gm, and i had one and they yah they are gutless.....

If I was getting a ford i would get the ecoboost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1zdFZwlLU

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am looking to buy a new truck but i dont know witch one. I like my fords so I am going to stick with them but i do not know witch engine to get. The 3.5L v6 has twin turbo 365 hp and 420 ft pounds of torque. The 5.0l has 360 hp and 380 ft lbs of torque.

What I am worried about is when the turbo's go the are very expense to change. About $1,300 each turbo plus labour. I know they will last a long time but just wondering for the future.

I would like your feed back on these trucks from you people who have one of them or know about them.

Eco boost all the way they had a hour long documentary on the discovery channel. From what the did to that motor and the tests against the chev 5.3 and dodge hemi it kicked them both. Was very impressed. The truck was randomly picked.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So far the 5.0 and the eco boost have been good engines. we have sold a ton of the dam things and none of them have come back, kinda gonna put me out of work. The eco boost pulls well from I can tell, hands down way better than the 5.4l.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have an '11 FX4 with the ecoboost, I've had it for about a month now. So far the fuel mileage isn't that impressive, averaging 15.7 L/100km which is about 15mpg. BUT I've been goofing around with it, heavy on the throttle, playing with the manual shift. I imagine it will come down significantly once I settle down :) . My boss has a '10 Raptor with the chipped 5.4 and we raced off the line, and it wasn't even close ( I thought he wasn't trying, but he said he was). He was laughing saying that now he was going to have to supercharge his Raptor. My buddy has an '11 Raptor with the 6.2L, 411hp he says it's terrible on gas, punch it and its like flushing a toilet. :)
As for towing, I'll find out in a couple of weeks, I'll be towing my buddies Mastercraft X-Star which is about 5500 lbs.( once he has all his junk in there) plus I'll have the back of the truck loaded right up with a jetski and holiday supplies. I'm curious to see if this lives up to the hype.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have an '11 FX4 with the ecoboost, I've had it for about a month now. So far the fuel mileage isn't that impressive, averaging 15.7 L/100km which is about 15mpg. BUT I've been goofing around with it, heavy on the throttle, playing with the manual shift. I imagine it will come down significantly once I settle down :) . My boss has a '10 Raptor with the chipped 5.4 and we raced off the line, and it wasn't even close ( I thought he wasn't trying, but he said he was). He was laughing saying that now he was going to have to supercharge his Raptor. My buddy has an '11 Raptor with the 6.2L, 411hp he says it's terrible on gas, punch it and its like flushing a toilet. :)
As for towing, I'll find out in a couple of weeks, I'll be towing my buddies Mastercraft X-Star which is about 5500 lbs.( once he has all his junk in there) plus I'll have the back of the truck loaded right up with a jetski and holiday supplies. I'm curious to see if this lives up to the hype.

The few I have driven doing pdi's seem to get around 15mpg, the rumor has it that it will get better once its broke in so one can only hope.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

make sure you update us when you do test it good.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately the V8's are unknown territory. As with the 6.7L TD in the super duty, brand new motors no one will know what the longevity will be til 5 years down the road...LOL:) And have heard some pretty bad horror stories about the new diesels....but again they are just stories!

Friend of mine cooked the turbos on his company truck after pulling a load, fully warrantied, but still truck didn't even have 5000kms under it's belt yet.:(

Watched a few amusing videos on youtube about the new eco-boost destroying other V8's in a drag race.....but it's just a video, yes it is designed to be quite powerful and I am sure it's FAST, but it's a V6 twin turbo?!?!?! 5.0L V8 all the way in my opinion unless you absolutely definitely require over 400lbs-ft of torque!:rolleyes:

Have fun and good luck with your choice...

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The Technology is not new, just new to Ford….Can they get it right???
Europeans have been using the smaller motors with turbo’s for years.
We tested the Eco-boost at work, had 6 different drivers, ran it empty and pulled some trailers….

The comment that came up the most was the dead spot in the throttle when you stick your foot into it.
“ Turbo Lag” …. If you roll on the throttle for a second until the boost kicks in then punch it, it takes off…

The other comment was the inter-cooler will get beat up, but hey it has to have air....

The big question is if Ford built it right, then it should last…the 5.4L it will replace we have several over the 200,000 km mark still running…

The other interesting tidbit that came up is they run 13 lbs of boost in those twin turbo's

Note to self: who will be the first to market, with
Air intake
Exhaust
Fuel management
Bigger turbo's
bigger Inter-cooler
It wont be hard to make this thing go Tim Allen....

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The Technology is not new, just new to Ford….Can they get it right???
Europeans have been using the smaller motors with turbo’s for years.
We tested the Eco-boost at work, had 6 different drivers, ran it empty and pulled some trailers….

The comment that came up the most was the dead spot in the throttle when you stick your foot into it.
“ Turbo Lag” …. If you roll on the throttle for a second until the boost kicks in then punch it, it takes off…

The other comment was the inter-cooler will get beat up, but hey it has to have air....

The big question is if Ford built it right, then it should last…the 5.4L it will replace we have several over the 200,000 km mark still running…

The other interesting tidbit that came up is they run 13 lbs of boost in those twin turbo's

Note to self: who will be the first to market, with
Air intake
Exhaust
Fuel management
Bigger turbo's
bigger Inter-cooler
It wont be hard to make this thing go Tim Allen....

Ford on the SVT Raptor

Top Bottom