5.0L or Ecoboost

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to trade my Silverado on an F150, purely for a bigger interior. I don't need a 3/4 ton etc. Couple year old truck with low KM's sort of thing with leather and big boy length box.

Now I'm leaning on a 5.0L and am not overly blown away by the real world numbers for the V6. I like a truck that sounds like a truck and not a sewing machine. That being said, the torque on the V6 is pretty sweet.

I'm leery of buying a new/used Ecoboost. I'm not sure I trust this quite yet. The 5.0 has been around for a while and is a proven mill with similar HP and torque specs to the V6.

Anyone had any major issues with the V6? Big repairs off warranty?

For those of you driving an F150, what engine did you choose and why? Would you do it again?

The heaviest load I would be pulling is a travel trailer about 6500 lbs. I think I know the answer to my own question but just looking for your guys thoughts.

Thanks for the input.

chedder

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by real world numbers for eco but I have one and, despite the fact that mine had the awful highway stall and subsequent recall, I love it.
Better than my 5.4 was on gas. Not super on highway but has 3.73 gears and heavy duty payload. What I do notice is all around mileage is really good. Ie combined city and hwy. Power is great too. Can't feel my 25 foot rv behind it. As for longevity who knows.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by real world numbers for eco but I have one and, despite the fact that mine had the awful highway stall and subsequent recall, I love it.
Better than my 5.4 was on gas. Not super on highway but has 3.73 gears and heavy duty payload. What I do notice is all around mileage is really good. Ie combined city and hwy. Power is great too. Can't feel my 25 foot rv behind it. As for longevity who knows.

What I meant was that no one seems to get anywhere close to Ford's claimed 9.0 L per 100k on this motor. Most people I have spoke to or know are around 14-15L per 100k. But then again, I can't imagine many drive these like senior citizens.

No doubt the Eco is a fast, snappy truck for sure and I have heard positive things about towing as well.

Last edited:

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drove my brothers 2012 F150 with the 5.0l for 2 weeks when I was home on holidays. I drive a 3/4 ton Dodge with a hemi and the power was pretty similar but the ride and the fuel milage was far better in the Ford. I know the ride difference was mostly because of 3/4 ton vs 1/2 ton but the fuel milage was almost twice as good in the Ford. 5.0l is a great engine. My brothers averaged around 12/13 l per 100 km and I averaged around 115-120km/hr on the highway.

Last edited:

chedder

Reaction score
Thanks for that. What I meant was that no one seems to get anywhere close to Ford's claimed 9.0 L per 100k on this motor. Most people I have spoke to or know are around 14-15L per 100k. But then again, I can't imagine many drive these like senior citizens.

No doubt the Eco is a fast, snappy truck for sure and I have heard positive things about towing as well.

Yeah. I'll never see anywhere near 9.0. That must be downhill with a 2wd regular cab. I honestly average 13l/100 km at 120 km/h. The odd time gets down to 12. But it also sticks around there combined too, which I'm happy with.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had 2011 5.0 now have a 2013 Ecoboost. So far I like both engines, fuel economy is fair in both and power is Great in both

phatboy07

Reaction score
I own a 2013 ecoboost. Girlfreind has a 5.0 in her work truck. Both are great. Both Get similiar mileage. Power goes to the ecoboost and especially when towing. Not a huge difference when unloaded in power but the eco is a little faster. For your needs I would recommend the 5.0 based solely on the fact you seem to be more in line with what the V8 offers in sound and your percieved notion of the V6. It will tow your wieght no problem. I do however recomend you test drive both and give them a good test drive and try not to be biased if you can help it lol. Now another reason to look at is if you are interested in tuning the truck if you bought an ecoboost. I have 15000 km so far tuned on my eco and I can not believe the change in this engine. It flat out rocks. Mileage, power, driveability, and shifiting have all benefited from a tune. So much so that I dont think I could easily go back to a V8. The tourque and horsepower increase is phenomenal to say the least but the truck shifting and driveability that goes with it is the icing on the cake. Tunign was my deciding factor on what engine I was going to get when I got my truck as well. For reference my truck is a 2013 FX4 crew cab loaded 6.5 ft box. Womans is a 2013 xlt 4x4 crew cab with most power options .

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
At work we have all Fords. I actually took the new EcoBoost home last night again. The V8s are good engines and a bit better on fuel than the EcoBoost. The EcoBoost feels the same for power as the V8 but does have a slight turbo lag when transitioning light load on the highway to climbing a hill with the cruise set, but once it spools up the power is there. I think you will be happy with either of them. And like said before probably be easier and cheaper to squeeze more power out of the EcoBoost, I have seen lots of mods on the net for them.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2012 f150 5.0 crew with long box... love this truck... it's really the wife's truck except on long family drives... i get about 14.5l/100 km at 115km/h when loaded down with the family and gear... so i imagine it would start to suck the gas good with a 6500 lb trailer... that's about what i will tow but still own my old diesel.

I went with the 5.0 just for simple fact that it has one less thing to worry about and when you drop the peddle it has a lot of get up and go... gets about the same fuel economy as the eco and the same as my 02 cummins... so for what i need it for it's a great choice of truck... i don't really care about the fuel economy when towing as i only tow 2 or 3 times per year...

when it was new and i was board i drove it to Vancouver at 100 km/h the fuel economy was incredible but who really drives like that on a daily basis

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At work we have all Fords. I actually took the new EcoBoost home last night again. The V8s are good engines and a bit better on fuel than the EcoBoost. The EcoBoost feels the same for power as the V8 but does have a slight turbo lag when transitioning light load on the highway to climbing a hill with the cruise set, but once it spools up the power is there. I think you will be happy with either of them. And like said before probably be easier and cheaper to squeeze more power out of the EcoBoost, I have seen lots of mods on the net for them.

That's sort of what I am gathering, is that the 5.0 is a bit better on gas.

I own a 2013 ecoboost. Girlfreind has a 5.0 in her work truck. Both are great. Both Get similiar mileage. Power goes to the ecoboost and especially when towing. Not a huge difference when unloaded in power but the eco is a little faster. For your needs I would recommend the 5.0 based solely on the fact you seem to be more in line with what the V8 offers in sound and your percieved notion of the V6. It will tow your wieght no problem. I do however recomend you test drive both and give them a good test drive and try not to be biased if you can help it lol. Now another reason to look at is if you are interested in tuning the truck if you bought an ecoboost. I have 15000 km so far tuned on my eco and I can not believe the change in this engine. It flat out rocks. Mileage, power, driveability, and shifiting have all benefited from a tune. So much so that I dont think I could easily go back to a V8. The tourque and horsepower increase is phenomenal to say the least but the truck shifting and driveability that goes with it is the icing on the cake. Tunign was my deciding factor on what engine I was going to get when I got my truck as well. For reference my truck is a 2013 FX4 crew cab loaded 6.5 ft box. Womans is a 2013 xlt 4x4 crew cab with most power options .

I've driven the Eco, in a 2011 FX4, and it was a fun truck to drive, shoved you back in your seat which was fun. The lack of noise takes some getting used to. I have not driven the 5.0 however. What tuner are you running on yours?

I have 2012 f150 5.0 crew with long box... love this truck... it's really the wife's truck except on long family drives... i get about 14.5l/100 km at 115km/h when loaded down with the family and gear... so i imagine it would start to suck the gas good with a 6500 lb trailer... that's about what i will tow but still own my old diesel.

I went with the 5.0 just for simple fact that it has one less thing to worry about and when you drop the peddle it has a lot of get up and go... gets about the same fuel economy as the eco and the same as my 02 cummins... so for what i need it for it's a great choice of truck... i don't really care about the fuel economy when towing as i only tow 2 or 3 times per year...

when it was new and i was board i drove it to Vancouver at 100 km/h the fuel economy was incredible but who really drives like that on a daily basis

I hear you on family drives. I am really sold on how huge that back seat is. I don't really care about mileage when I tow 4-5 times a year. I could pretty well see loonies flying out the exhaust on my 5.3L. I find it is a bit of a turd when towing. I have heard from people that towing with the eco, they don't really feel a travel trailer, etc.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear you on family drives. I am really sold on how huge that back seat is. I don't really care about mileage when I tow 4-5 times a year. I could pretty well see loonies flying out the exhaust on my 5.3L. I find it is a bit of a turd when towing. I have heard from people that towing with the eco, they don't really feel a travel trailer, etc.[/QUOTE]

ya i have no say on the eco or towing with a 5.0 but with a 6 speed and trailer tow mode it can't be that bad... i hope lol the back seat rocks... kids in the forward facing seat cant kick the back of my seat fully reclined... only other thing that's like that is the dodge mega cab

Last edited:

phatboy07

Reaction score
I am using an SCT Livewire Tuner. This model has the display screen and attachements so I can monitor the vitals of the truck but is not needed. SCT has other tuner models that are not as "fancy". I like to monitor certian engine parameters while its tuned for piece of mind. The tuner comes with 3 maps to choose from. 87,91, 93 octane maps to use, however I am running a custom map made by a company called SSI tuning. The guy who tunes for this company is a genius with this platform and has it figured out. His tunes are not only the most powerful but the best driving and one of the safest tunes available. You can get any octane you want and there are seperate Tow Tunes availabe as well for when you tow. I wont go too deep into the tuning because I could probably right a whole essay on the subject as I have researched the hell outta it before I bought. These eco engines get similar results to tuning as the diesels....gotta love forced induction. Ohhhh and I do miss the V8 roar...but the spool up of two turbos is pretty sweet too!

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear you on family drives. I am really sold on how huge that back seat is. I don't really care about mileage when I tow 4-5 times a year. I could pretty well see loonies flying out the exhaust on my 5.3L. I find it is a bit of a turd when towing. I have heard from people that towing with the eco, they don't really feel a travel trailer, etc.

ya i have no say on the eco or towing with a 5.0 but with a 6 speed and trailer tow mode it can't be that bad... i hope lol[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input guys. I suppose at the end of the day, if you want a fantastic hauler; buy a diesel.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am using an SCT Livewire Tuner. This model has the display screen and attachements so I can monitor the vitals of the truck but is not needed. SCT has other tuner models that are not as "fancy". I like to monitor certian engine parameters while its tuned for piece of mind. The tuner comes with 3 maps to choose from. 87,91, 93 octane maps to use, however I am running a custom map made by a company called SSI tuning. The guy who tunes for this company is a genius with this platform and has it figured out. His tunes are not only the most powerful but the best driving and one of the safest tunes available. You can get any octane you want and there are seperate Tow Tunes availabe as well for when you tow. I wont go too deep into the tuning because I could probably right a whole essay on the subject as I have researched the hell outta it before I bought. These eco engines get similar results to tuning as the diesels....gotta love forced induction. Ohhhh and I do miss the V8 roar...but the spool up of two turbos is pretty sweet too!
Just added the livewire to mine, looking at adding the SoCal tunes as well, read really great things about his tunes.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i have no say on the eco or towing with a 5.0 but with a 6 speed and trailer tow mode it can't be that bad... i hope lol

Thanks for the input guys. I suppose at the end of the day, if you want a fantastic hauler; buy a diesel.[/QUOTE]

at 6500 lbs unless you tow a lot... your probably where i was... the extra cost of diesel and diesel fuel just don't add up to being worth it anymore... albeit if i could afford one i'd own one... i love driving a diesel... but i paid 31k for my truck brand new...

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any towing with a gasser completley destroys the fuel mileage.I tow a small work trailer all the time and my 2 place open snowmobile trailer.\my new 5.3 6spd 3.42 rear end 14 silverado is only getting about 18l/100kms in town mostly.My 11 Duramax was averaging about 17.6 in same senario.Like most of us who drives empty on the hwy,truck is for working.New Crew Cab is large though pick your poison they all suck fuel when towing.I say eco no real penalty for extra grunt when needed.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any towing with a gasser completley destroys the fuel mileage.I tow a small work trailer all the time and my 2 place open snowmobile trailer.\my new 5.3 6spd 3.42 rear end 14 silverado is only getting about 18l/100kms in town mostly.My 11 Duramax was averaging about 17.6 in same senario.Like most of us who drives empty on the hwy,truck is for working.New Crew Cab is large though pick your poison they all suck fuel when towing.I say eco no real penalty for extra grunt when needed.

But at current fuel prices, fuel alone is costing you probably 10% more to run the diesel. Add operating and maintenance costs and the gasser becomes lots cheaper to run. Not as good at the job, but costs a lot less.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But at current fuel prices, fuel alone is costing you probably 10% more to run the diesel. Add operating and maintenance costs and the gasser becomes lots cheaper to run. Not as good at the job, but costs a lot less.
I don't miss the high cost of diesel, your right about the extra expense also DEF fluid.I sold mine back to dealer for a good buck and went back to gas.

Top Bottom