F:150 3.5L v6 ecoboost or 5.0L v8 Which one?

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: F:150 3.5L v6 ecoboost or 5.0L v8 Witch one?

Just took the father in laws new ecoboost for a burn the other day and was impressed. Race car, fast , quiet and smooth. He says it pulls his boat just as good as his diesel. Time will tell how reliable it is , but i like it so far

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The Technology is not new, just new to Ford….Can they get it right???
Europeans have been using the smaller motors with turbo’s for years.
We tested the Eco-boost at work, had 6 different drivers, ran it empty and pulled some trailers….

The comment that came up the most was the dead spot in the throttle when you stick your foot into it.
“ Turbo Lag” …. If you roll on the throttle for a second until the boost kicks in then punch it, it takes off…

The other comment was the inter-cooler will get beat up, but hey it has to have air....

The big question is if Ford built it right, then it should last…the 5.4L it will replace we have several over the 200,000 km mark still running…

The other interesting tidbit that came up is they run 13 lbs of boost in those twin turbo's

Note to self: who will be the first to market, with
Air intake
Exhaust
Fuel management
Bigger turbo's
bigger Inter-cooler
It wont be hard to make this thing go Tim Allen....

I was curious what these were running for boost, thats about the only thing it doesn't tell you ( unless I haven't found it yet). I have a buddy thats a mechanic at one of the dealerships in town, and I was asking him if there was a way around the 160 km/h governor. He looked into it and told me that the driveshafts aren't meant for high speed and that there isn't a way around the governor. These things get up to 160 so fast, that in my opinion, spending all that loot on engine mods would be kind of a waste, unless you switch out to an aluminum drive shaft and then its only a matter of time before aftermarkets get around the limiter....then she'd be a party! :beer: :d

Last edited:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The thing i like about the eco boost idea is look at the gtr.... a couple bolt ons and you can crazy increase the power.

As for the mileage, my hemi was bad for a while now im at about 13.2 L/100 km highway and my 1/2 highway 1/2 intown driving im averaging 15-17 L/100 km.

The thing to think about is my dad has a ridgeline and it gets 12-13 L/100 km highway..... and its a 260 hp v6 thats a car with a box on it and my dodge is a crew cab truck with 390 hp v8

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

make sure you update us when you do test it good.

Well here are some results: Scaled at Okotoks Self Weigh- Truck- 3690kg, Xstar - 2670 kg for a total of 6360kg or 14,021.40 lbs ( about 3,000 lbs over what it's rated for:) ). All I can say is...wow! this thing pulls like a champ! I could pull out on the passing lanes on the hills and pass with no effort. First tank of fuel was fighting Edmonton, Red Deer, and Calgary traffic ( really heavy traffic ) and I was getting 23.47L/100km. The second tank was in heavy traffic through the Crowsnest with a pretty good head wind and I was getting 24.6L/100km. I keep forgetting that this is a 6 banger, I am REALLY impressed so far. Climbed up to the Schweitzer Resort through the switchbacks, hard to tell I was even climbing a hill. :) :beer:

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Make sure you get the heated tail gate option.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Eco boost all the way, Im a dodge guy through and through but when I buy a new truck in the next year or two I will be buying an eco boost..... unless dodge comes out with something comparable by then, which I highly doubt they will.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well, just got back from holidays without the boat, and weighing in at 7620 lbs., I averaged 13.8L/100km and that was in heavy traffic again. Topped off in Priest River, ID and didn't stop for fuel till Crossfield. I think I could have made Red Deer if there hadn't been so much traffic from Sandpoint, ID to Fort Mcleod ( where the 4 lane started). I was a little pessimistic about this 6 popper at first, but I don't think that Ford's propaganda videos are out by too much. I give'r 3 thumbs up. The only thing I did with this truck was throw a couple of airbags on the back axle before we left, really improved the ride. :) :beer:

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'd give the 3.5 a shot.

of course the technical videos on youtube are biased but they've done some pretty incredible things so far with that motor.

Top Bottom