F-150 rear axle failures

B-Mac

Reaction score
Anyone here of or see the rear axles come apart on the newer F-150's? My company truck (which is used by my cross shifts while im on days off) had this happen to it while I was on days off. The axle came apart on the drivers side while they were driving. They werent going too fast and were able to keep it under control until stopped. Yes, it does get driven over some rough roads, but you'd think something else would give out long before an axle.
Found that ford assembles them in three pieces now: the diff, and an axle on either side.
i live in a small town that has one car dealership, and its a Ford dealership. When I went to get the fuel card out of the truck after it had been dropped off at this dealership, sitting across the street from it, was another F-150 with a broken axle! I figure there has to be more incidents out there like this.

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I go on f150 forums and have never heard of that happening before. Usually if theres an issue there will be someone grumbling about it. Not to say it hasn't happened before though! Did the axle break? or come out of the housing? loose a wheel?

25AXLE

Reaction score
I know of three F-150's that had the rear axles break. That's just guys I work with. Not sure about the model years on the trucks. There is definitely an issue with the axles holding up under rough road conditions.

Last edited:

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way I am reading this is that the axle tube, which is pressed into the diff housing has came out. That would be the tube that is 2 maybe 2.5 inches in diameter. I have been in the auto trade for a long time and have only saw that happen to drag cars.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's cause they say it can do and handle what a 3/4 ton can.

Guess not

sent from my HTC while working

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only issue I have had in 175 k is I busted the cross shaft between the spiders gears in half made a nasty noise lol

B-Mac

Reaction score
Ya its something that i've never even considered before,but it was pretty crazy to see 2 of the same trucks sitting across from one another with the same serious problem. The other truck F-150 did have a sled deck on it but our company truck hasnt ever hauled more than three people around. its a 2011 5.0L with the 6.5ft box with 130,000kms on it.

B-Mac

Reaction score
The axle tube came out of the diff. The wheel stayed on the hub though. Truck was sitting on the rear diff when i saw it, same as the other.

25AXLE

Reaction score
That's what happened on these trucks. Axle tube broke from the diff housing.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what happened on these trucks. Axle tube broke from the diff housing.

Really? wow dont see that happen everyday. Axle shafts breaking,,well thats pretty normal for a 1/2ton semi floater being worked as hard as a 1ton full floating diff. But the tube seperating from the housing... Holly cow someone at the factory was high or something!! lol Or someone was seriously beating on the truck?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny I was looking at them when I repaired my rear diff thought it was funny how they aren't welded at all only press fit. Figured at least a tack would be better than nothing at all

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Normally they have at least 3 big spot welds

sent from my HTC while working

Top Bottom