Nytro boost leak found

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I found why I had no power and smelt exhaust fumes. My Y-pipe had a hole blown through the bottom. May have limit the boost to 16lbs. What are all the aftermarket pipes available. I'll fix what I have but will need to upgrade in the summer.
4ac6968f-b2c9-c082.jpg
4ac6968f-b2dc-77ed.jpg

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Ron...just found a cracked weld in my 3-1 header pipe as well!! I have been looking for a stainless pipe that would work with the PL kit, but haven't found anything. I emailed Hurricane Performance and he said that one would have to be custom made...couldn't figure out why I had to be WFO to get boost...now I know:) Neil said that PL kits have had numerous problems with the header pipe and bellows as th RB3 would run lean and hot!! Fixed mine today...Good luck:beer::beer:

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Ive checked with Neil at NPP (Neils Power Pipes) on the west end of Edmonton. He will make me a new pipe right from scratch in the summer. I got a used header from Darren at E&S today. It doesn't look to have too many km on it. I have to spray the existing one with penetrating lubricant to try to get them apart then I can install this temp one that will get me threw the rest of this season. This is the second one I have replaced, I have 4500 miles on my sled now, so some things will require some TLC. Neil at NPP says a steel one that is ceramic coated would work better.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be the vp fuel your adding to it.. your sled under 16 17lbs of boost doesnt need any higher octain boost to run at that much boost. i ran my last sled at 17 18 its whole life of 9300kmh and never had one issure with the exhaust.. the guys that are running the vp or race fuels are burning down exhausts.. just do to the fact that your motor cant burn off all the fuel before it goes into the exhaust. i dono just my two cents and from what alot of people tell me.

but still sucks that it happens.. i had melted lines goign to my boost controler from the frist ride out on my new sled.. but its all fixed now lol

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I took the exhaust apart at the headers, Firstly I wondered why the allen head was facing the bottom and was not accessible. When I loostned the header this became apparent that it had moved. The header was very loose at the joint. One of them had absolutly no gasket left, the other two were almost worn right out. This has intern destroyed all the insulation on both upper and lower shields.

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 306
  • Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
From the clamps turning they actually wore a hole through the bottom into the bulkhead. This is 2 seasons of riding. If you have a Nytro I suggest you look at these. This will make a BIG difference to the performance of your sled.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
  • Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Is there any aftermarket gaskets that are better that wont fall apart like these.

Yamaha part number - 8FA-14623-00-00 GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE

I'll get some new insulation from Mopac, and just clean those up.

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thistle doo has made up some copper donuts. They work way better.

big_red1a

Reaction score
OFTracing.com sells cooper donuts. I have take off 2010 nytro heat shields and exhaust parts if you are interested

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be the vp fuel your adding to it.. your sled under 16 17lbs of boost doesnt need any higher octain boost to run at that much boost. i ran my last sled at 17 18 its whole life of 9300kmh and never had one issure with the exhaust.. the guys that are running the vp or race fuels are burning down exhausts.. just do to the fact that your motor cant burn off all the fuel before it goes into the exhaust. i dono just my two cents and from what alot of people tell me.

but still sucks that it happens.. i had melted lines goign to my boost controler from the frist ride out on my new sled.. but its all fixed now lol

that is what I have been hearing....fuel also burns hotter! I run straight Av gas and zero cracks......I lost the donut on number 3 cylinder but easy fix! I got my full boost back. I ground down my clamps to make them tighten just a little tighter now. I might have to find these copper donuts for next year!

but stay away from the VP unless you are running high boost.....I run 18 on Av and 14-15 on 50-50 av/94 chevron. but for the difference in fuel (10 cents a liter) I just run it straight and turn the boost down to 10 PSI on the trails and up in the hills.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Installed thistledoo 's brass gaskets, and a new header gasket at the head. Then installed a used Y pipe. I'll get NPP to make a new one this summer, that can handle a little extra. Quite a job to replace all that and trying to keep the turbo all intact. I ended up taking the mounting bolts out and drilling out my rivets to the muffler so I can move the entire assembly back to install the new Y pipe and header gaskets. Thanks to the peeps that gave me some advise on this thread and for the parts that got here very quickly. Now that the exhaust is completed, and I removed my rigid boost line that runs just behind the gas tank to the left of the sled. Ran industrial reinforced rad hose. Now I can probably get the trail tank to fit better without that rigid hose on the left side. Need one more clamp before I can remount the new trail tank.

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    headers.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 196

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Installed thistledoo 's brass gaskets, and a new header gasket at the head. Then installed a used Y pipe. I'll get NPP to make a new one this summer, that can handle a little extra. Quite a job to replace all that and trying to keep the turbo all intact. I ended up taking the mounting bolts out and drilling out my rivets to the muffler so I can move the entire assembly back to install the new Y pipe and header gaskets. Thanks to the peeps that gave me some advise on this thread and for the parts that got here very quickly. Now that the exhaust is completed, and I removed my rigid boost line that runs just behind the gas tank to the left of the sled. Ran industrial reinforced rad hose. Now I can probably get the trail tank to fit better without that rigid hose on the left side. Need one more clamp before I can remount the new trail tank.

looking good......the apex uses the same donut as the nytro......what did 3 of those copper donuts cost ya and from where? I should do all 4 of mine this summer.......

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Gonna check mine this summer too .......... no problems at all though so far. I always run a quarter race fuel with 91 usually last batch 94. Run around 15lbs though for safety.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I changed my donuts out when I changed out my header pipe...3000km and donuts still looked real good!! I put Thistledoo's copper ones in regardless:beer::beer:

Powderlites

Reaction score
Alpine makes a MCX replacement header and we make a Powder Lites replacement stainless Header assembly.

Attachments

• IMGP1995tn.jpg
    IMGP1995tn.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 164
Top Bottom