Nos or not to nos

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok heres the deal. I have a 2006 rev 159 800X just put a dyna port single on with a mbrp can. I have ordered a side panel screens kit for the hood and sides to get rid of unwanted heat.......but my load mouthed brother has snow checked a 163 XP-X. So with my up coming doom I have been pondering Nos, due to the fact that he will be sitting at the 630 mark without fuel and oil and I'm tipping the scales 750 with out fuel and oil. And i think it will be cheaper and easier to add NOS than to go on a diet. Which is better BOSS NOSS or Boondocker? How long can you hold the button? How hard to install or do you need a shop to tune it in? P.S the weights above are just for comparason and approx.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Boss Noss system and it works great, it is completely regulated, adding more fuel while on the button. It is easy to install you just have to figure out how big a shot you want 30-40-50-60hp..etc. this is determined by the size of nosels. If you go with to big a shot then you will have to start mixing with race fuel. I have held my done for 20-30secs at a time with out any issues. Hope this help....enjoy!!! It the funnest button I have pushed since I was a kid.....(other then my wifes....lol):D

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think all I would go is 30 or 40 at the most. We have been talking about the 50/50 race fuel, do ya gain anything or is a waste of money? NosRX1 how big a shot are you running for 20-30 secs?

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am running a 40hp shot I don't have to mix, and its enough to give me that little extra jump. Talked alot with the guys from Boss and they said I could go with 50 and not have to mix.....but with it being a four cylinder it to hard to inject into each carb evenly, so I went with 4 10hp nosels, giving me the 40hp. A I mixed once and there was a bit of a difference but not enough to spend the extra$$$$. Now once I get my turbo it will be a different story, I will have to mix.

Mike Anderson

Reaction score
BEWARE, hang on tight if you have a happy button, may cause you to fall off your sled on flat ground!!! (right NOSRX1?!) Make sure whatever kit you buy installs in the airbox not the carb flanges. Good luck!

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think you can hold a 2-stroke for that long on NOS. The 4-stroke can take it though.
8-10 secs on the button should be good.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BEWARE, hang on tight if you have a happy button, may cause you to fall off your sled on flat ground!!! (right NOSRX1?!) Make sure whatever kit you buy installs in the airbox not the carb flanges. Good luck!

Yes I am running four nosels 2 in into each pod. not directly into the carb.

nytro 123

Reaction score
I went with the boss noss on my F7 efi and with the tfi controll box was simple to use and very dependable.I never held the button for more than about 600 feet or so.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had specialty install the boondocker kit on my sled. best investment i ever made. always works. nice kick in the seat. adjustable regulator. i just put a couple gallons of race fuel in just for safety but i dont think for small shots its necessary.

i let them do the tuning because i heard horror stories of all the differant systems with half of the people extremely impressed with either system and the other half hated them. then when i was doing me reasearch i realized that those people were the ones that installed the kits themselves haha.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I have nos installed on my 08 xp 154. Works real good but only for about 4 seconds then it starts popping and fartin around. I think its because it dumps too much fuel into the engine but I'm not too sure I'm scared to lean out the fuel so I live with it. I've pulled the plugs after and they look fine :confused: but honestly I usually don't need to hold the button for any longer anyhow its nice to have it there for the "holy Chit" times when a guy needs it. Its a 45 shot in the airbox.

Dr. Meatman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recommend a wet kit, with a wet kit you get a more consistent shot than you would with a dry kit. I've heard good things about nitrous express and I have a kit ready to be put on mine sled. Apart from that, from what I've seen my ol man go through with boss and many many other unhappy customers that have had more headaches than they know what to do with using boss noss. If you want to go with a dry kit, hands down boondockers....you wanna get a wet kit I would suggest NX.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recommend a wet kit, with a wet kit you get a more consistent shot than you would with a dry kit. I've heard good things about nitrous express and I have a kit ready to be put on mine sled. Apart from that, from what I've seen my ol man go through with boss and many many other unhappy customers that have had more headaches than they know what to do with using boss noss. If you want to go with a dry kit, hands down boondockers....you wanna get a wet kit I would suggest NX.

boondocker does use more fuel does it not? i was told it pressurizes the float bowls.

Dr. Meatman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the carb vent tube is connected to the nitrous nozzle creating a positive pressure that pulls more fuel through the carbs when the nitrous is activated (when the happy button is pushed) :D It's still considered a dry kit due to the fact that it 'fogs' the airbox. A wet system injects a mixture of nitrous and fuel straight into either the carb flanges or a spacers with the nozzles installed to spray right through the reeds. This increases the efficiency of the whole system.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the carb vent tube is connected to the nitrous nozzle creating a positive pressure that pulls more fuel through the carbs when the nitrous is activated (when the happy button is pushed) :D It's still considered a dry kit due to the fact that it 'fogs' the airbox. A wet system injects a mixture of nitrous and fuel straight into either the carb flanges or a spacers with the nozzles installed to spray right through the reeds. This increases the efficiency of the whole system.

In theory, if it pressurizes the bowls, then it actually pushes the fuel into the carb throats, not pulls (positive pressure). :) Is the vent tube only connected to the nitrous nozzle? If not, how does it not shortcut to the open end of the vent line?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm no expert but I got 40hp nozzles dry on a boondocker and it adds a little excitement,Had a little trouble setting it up but its all good now.The factory settings that come with the kit were 30 numbers off on the boondocker box NOS settings(Mine is EFI).I think its well worth the money,lots of people dont though!
catmando!

Dr. Meatman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here's a little picture of what i was talking about

boondockers.gif

this is the concept of the boondockers dry nitrous kit. which is in my opinion the best dry kit on the market for carb sleds. its still not as efficient as a wet kit, also the dry kit is still more expensive

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran Boss noss 40 shot and had nothing but great luck with it. The one thing about boss noss is that on Non EFI sleds it used batteries instead of using the sleds power supply. They say it was to give better control as it gave consistant power compared to the sleds power supply. Rev up you sled and the lights go brighter. I think your 06 will give the XP a run for its money. The 06 IMO is one of the best sleds BRP made.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is good to see this old post stir up alot of good info. I have decided to steer towards power that is there all the time. I agree totaly that there is no cheaper HP than NOS, as I had it on my Jeep it was all good. But I don't think I'm good enough to remember to let go of the button before cooking every thing. This was my main reason for going a different direction. So for now I'm porting,piped and some reeds, next year change out track to lighter 3 pitch. Thanks all.

Top Bottom