Northern Alberta winter tire help??

MRFUSION

Reaction score
I am looking for some winter tires for my 2011 Dodge 2500 diesel. I have a leveling kit and flares and run 34.5 Terra Grapplers on 20 rims. I dont see any gravel and the Terra Grapplers didnt wear well at all. I want to mount some winter tires on my stock 17 rims just for winter driving. I dont want to run stock size tires because they will look silly but my options will be limited. I pull me enclosed trailer sledding and drive my 8 year old around everywhere to his hockey. I am leaning toward Good Year Duratrac but wondering weather I should stud them or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Shad

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had the same problem. Go thru sets of tires in 25k. Tried half a dozen brands. Went to these in the winter. Unbelievable traction. Looked brand new after 20k km. I was super impressed. I'll never go back to M+S tires/all season tires again.

Nokian: Hakkapeliitta 5 Studded for the wife's suv

Hankook: i*pike RW-11 (studded) for my f350 20"

Still looking for great summer tires. Just went thru a set of Dura Grapplers in 2 summers (25 k). Good luck.

nd4spd

Reaction score
I've got the duratrac and I have between 70-80K on them right now; they will need to be replaced very soon; they have seen highway, gravel and towing as well. been great in the winter and summer; will be getting another set before the snow really starts to fly

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 60,000 with my Hancook dynapro A/T (M+S rated) on my 08 F350 driving on a lot of gravel, towing and mostly highway miles. My front tires still have a lot of life left and my rears have 25% left in them. If you rotate your tires, unlike me, i'm sure you'd get a minimum 80,000km out of them.

I'm buying them again for my truck and likely won't change to another brand again. Great traction on snow for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market too. I have yet to get decent tire life on my dmax. Sounds like some good options above as you guys are getting some great mileage (compared to me). I have killed the stock set, a set of toyo open country A\T,s and 2 sets of winters in 172K so some are doubling me.

Crazy not to stud IMO. Any sort of compact snow and ice or that ice blade grooved crap or even hitting black ice the studs are going to bite in nice. I ran a set of non studded one winter on my 4 runner and didn't have the same traction as a studded.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 60,000 with my Hancook dynapro A/T (M+S rated) on my 08 F350 driving on a lot of gravel, towing and mostly highway miles. My front tires still have a lot of life left and my rears have 25% left in them. If you rotate your tires, unlike me, i'm sure you'd get a minimum 80,000km out of them.

I'm buying them again for my truck and likely won't change to another brand again. Great traction on snow for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same tires in 295 70/17, too bad they are discontinued

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a F350 with leveling kit but i run 35" mudders on 20" rims in summer and run 305/55R20 Dura Trac studded in winter. I love my Studded dura trac tires for winter i hardly ever need 4x4. If i was you i would get studded tires cause you have a set of summers already. Just keep switching out every year!!!

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my work truck I got 130k out of some Hankook Dynapro ATm's and thought they were a very good all around tire. I also ran some Hakapelitas for a few winters, they are a very good winter tire, and I was able to push them to 90k. I rotate every 20k and this makes a huge difference in tire life.

If you are serious about icy road traction narrower is better.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had the same problem. Go thru sets of tires in 25k. Tried half a dozen brands. Went to these in the winter. Unbelievable traction. Looked brand new after 20k km. I was super impressed. I'll never go back to M+S tires/all season tires again.

Nokian: Hakkapeliitta 5 Studded for the wife's suv

Hankook: i*pike RW-11 (studded) for my f350 20"

Still looking for great summer tires. Just went thru a set of Dura Grapplers in 2 summers (25 k). Good luck.

i have the Haka 5's on my Silverado 1500. They are amazing (studded). Highly recommend, not sure how big they go though.

Top Bottom