No way to treat a visitor

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently we need these more than we need functional roads.

Untitled.png

scesfiremedic

Reaction score
I just pulled my fifth wheel from Penticton to Edmonton and I’ve got to say, Hwy 16 is absolutely deplorable! It’s embarrassing as an Albertan to have a major highway in such terrible shape. The potholes are unbelievable and potentially hazardous. I would hate to hit some of them on my motorcycle as it could be catastrophic as they are so deep and long. I’ve had friends from BC comment too on how bad Hwy 16 is (which is embarrassing for a supposed oil rich province). The garbage in the ditches is also disgusting. Why do people feel the need to throw their crap into the ditches for someone else to have to pick up? In this time of COVID19 with less traffic, why aren’t they out filling these potholes on the highways? Ridiculous.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No No No,,, hwy 3 is Canada's greatest hwy...

I heard roumers that the goverment is going to turn hwy 16 into a single lane gravel road this year...

Mostly black dirt and swamps by Edson and 17 other sections... Ha

Yuppers,,, the fall of the cities,,, folks always talk about ghost towns,,, maybe this is the year/ decade of broken cities...

Always more wrong then right of course... Ha

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No No No,,, hwy 3 is Canada's greatest hwy...

I heard roumers that the goverment is going to turn hwy 16 into a single lane gravel road this year...

Mostly black dirt and swamps by Edson and 17 other sections... Ha

Yuppers,,, the fall of the cities,,, folks always talk about ghost towns,,, maybe this is the year/ decade of broken cities...

Always more wrong then right of course... Ha

Am I’ll take a nicely graded gravel road over highway 16 at the moment.

The scary part about highway 16 is there is no contract issued as of yet to fix any of it in Alberta. No resurfacing contracts have been released yet so it’s at least 2 months away even if it comes out Tommorow.

There is a new westbound passing lane through jasper starting right away so that’s good I guess lol

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Accountability, where is the accountability? With all the tax dollars collected from vehicle insurance,fuel, carbon tax and just about any other place they have there hands stuck you would think Edmonton streets would look more like they do in Dubai then what a horses a$$ looks like on a cold day.
mismanagement of funds, mmmmm where is the accountability and why are these people not fired.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Am I’ll take a nicely graded gravel road over highway 16 at the moment.

The scary part about highway 16 is there is no contract issued as of yet to fix any of it in Alberta. No resurfacing contracts have been released yet so it’s at least 2 months away even if it comes out Tommorow.

There is a new westbound passing lane through jasper starting right away so that’s good I guess lol
here I was hoping they would do repairs for next winter on 16, but you had to say different, that road is terrible

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huston tried a light rail system,,, a small section of it remains in the North,,, the reason it never worked out is that Huston is Motor City,,, little Texas in State size,,, but they are massively large when it comes to Oil,,, the thick stuff like Coke-Oil,,, Louisiana has some pretty spanky refineries as well... its one of the super freeway city's,,, they know how to move pepole and goods...

Edmonton and Calgary """could""" of done the same when the times were good,,, but they choose to try the lite-rail system that produces 2 to 3 X's more carbon,,, lots of cement and steel that needs replacing on a ongoing basis,,, lots of electricity and repairs too the worn out rail-way cars and garbage electic motors that brun out ever few years...

All of that and more carbon foot print to recycle,,, replace,,, and improve little lone keeping the infrastructure they have in place running... Ha

They will never wake up since they bought into a system they can't turn off,,, muti billions of dollars to keep a 1 to 1,2 billon dollar rail system running...

The Tax payers are on the hook for a failed system,, and they borrowed 100's of millions over 40 years,,, 35 years left paying,,, they will need to borrow the same amount,,, if not double that at the end of the 35 years if they want to keep it running...

All they see is the world of green since the mine sigths,,, iron plants and lots of other materials are needed to be put into the system to keep it running ... they dont see it,,, so they think its green Energy. .. ha

Oh well,,, at least the majority of the funds falling on the laps of the Edmonton tax payers,,, the new stadium funds were transferred from another fund to make it happen,,, $58 or $87 million if I recall...

The drop in oil prices """could""" double the time on those intrest payments to 70 or 75 years now...

The city is holding a $3 billion dollar all in debt,,, on top of the $14 millon dollar deficit... the debt """could""" ceiling at over $4 to $5 billion in 2021 or 2022...

City of Edmonton projecting $14 million deficit for 2018 | Edmonton Journal
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/lo...on-heads-into-the-red-by-14-million-for-2018/

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I just pulled my fifth wheel from Penticton to Edmonton and I’ve got to say, Hwy 16 is absolutely deplorable! It’s embarrassing as an Albertan to have a major highway in such terrible shape. The potholes are unbelievable and potentially hazardous. I would hate to hit some of them on my motorcycle as it could be catastrophic as they are so deep and long. I’ve had friends from BC comment too on how bad Hwy 16 is (which is embarrassing for a supposed oil rich province). The garbage in the ditches is also disgusting. Why do people feel the need to throw their crap into the ditches for someone else to have to pick up? In this time of COVID19 with less traffic, why aren’t they out filling these potholes on the highways? Ridiculous.

I just drove my new to me car back from Penticton on Tuesday and your right it is embarrassing, In BC I had to be very careful not to speed. Once I crossed the boarder into Alberta I couldn't speed if I wanted too without destroying the car..... Apparently owning a sportscar is a BC thing now....

Actually BC border to Jasper East gate is not horrible but it's still bad, 16 east from the park to Edmonton is down right scary...

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
always been 90. Apparently when you 2 lane it that doesn't justify increasing the speed limit. Hence why we have major freeways in edmonton 4 lanes wide with an 80km/h limit. Pure idiocy

Have you ever driven through Ft Sask? Fawking 70km/h not only within the busy commercial area but all the way out of town for miles.....
Years ago, I asked one of the city Councillor's that I knew...why the slow speed limit?...."this way people will stop and shop" was his idiotic answer.

GreyGhost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But have you ever driven anywhere in Saskatchewan?? Its nothing compared to what you guys have.........

Top Bottom