Oil Change issues

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Had my oil change done at Jiffy Lube in Spruce Grove on my Nissan NV200 work van. I noticed as the ice was melted on my asphalt driveway a bunch of brown frothy stains. So this weekend I popped the hood to see what if there was a leak, and to check my oil. Well the fill cap was only turned on crooked and just hanging on and was not seated to the o-ring. Blow by has been leaking out, also dirt and road debris has been entering. I cleaned to cap and put back on and checked the oil which appears ok. I have a check engine lite for the last little bit that came on and turned off, them returned. Cleaned the cap and throat then re-installed, checked the oil, and will take to the dealer to access, and change the oil. Will ask Jiffy lube for refund at the minimal, not impressed.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that will happen when you have teenagers changing your oil. I worked in an oil change shop when I was 18. I remember the owner having to replace motors because someone( not me) forgot to replace the cap or the oil plug. I worked there for 2 years and I would guess something major happen about every 3-4 months.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesnt matter old mans 2013 6.7 went to dealership for every oil change and checkup well at 70,xxx kms they had oil change done in harvest time mom came to the field and it was super dusty and truck was smoking well they never even put the fill cap back on made a hell of a mess undee the hood not to mention what it sucked in going down dirt roads to the field, phoned ford they were like tbat sucks we will order u a new cap……. And the old man lost it, went in there steaming hot they didnt even want to pay for the cleanup or a new oil change that was from ford them self. He had to go to manager to get it taken care of had bought several trucks locally there now he drives to edmonton for new trucks lost a few sales over bad customer service

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least they put oil back in it.....

That's how little faith I have in the quick change shops.

Our work trucks get done at the local Diesel shop. The local quick change shops have broke fuel filter housings, let the trucks leave 4 liters short on oil, and mix dirty engine oil with the other "fluid samples". Had a brand new truck with 6,000km they recommended both diffs, transfer case, and transmission fluid changes on.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought a new 2008 Tundra and it was time for it's first oil change I took it in to the Lethbridge dealer and they put the wrong oil in it. I caught the mistake before the truck was even started .The employee would not admit to it at all. In the end the new oil was dropped out of it and the correct oil put in.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took my truck in once to a jiffy lube. Had no choice leaving for out of town the next day. Came back a month later and took it to chev for next service. Told them to check the transfer case plug. Looked like it was sweating. Turned out there wasn’t one. Jiffy lube forgot to put it back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine owns a Jiffy Lube. He runs a tight ship. I've been getting all our work trucks done there for years. There is a lot of staff turnover. It's an entry level job. At any big shop your going to get the low man on the Tottem pole. I change my own oil and take the jugs of used to buddies JL.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I've been using Econolube in the Grove for a lot of years. Always had really good service there.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Darn. That is not good service.
Seems like you need to check everything yourself after you pay to get it done.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The owner of the shop called me this morning. Said he runs a tight shop and has experienced people that are long term guys. And apologized for the error. I did tell him I'll have the dealer access but don't think it's anything more than just cleaning the oil off the engine, which I can run to car wash and do. Engine service light is off now. Should at least offered the next one at a discounted rate or a coupon for my hassles. I'll see what the dealer says.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been using Econolube in the Grove for a lot of years. Always had really good service there.
Paul & Paul don't mess around. I worked there in high school. You get x number of chances if you continue to screw up they turf your ass

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lady friend of mine got her BMW done in Langford, by Victoria. The drained the transmission instead of the engine , then dumped 5 litres of oil in the engine and sent her on her way,didn't even check the level, she didn't make make it to far before luckily the engine died before the tranny went. Shea still fighting them for the money it cost to fix a the dealership, plus towing costs better to do it yourself or stand and watch every move they make.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Our work trucks get done at the local Diesel shop. The local quick change shops have broke fuel filter housings, let the trucks leave 4 liters short on oil, and mix dirty engine oil with the other "fluid samples". Had a brand new truck with 6,000km they recommended both diffs, transfer case, and transmission fluid changes on.

funny you mention that. I took a truck in that certainly didnt need rear diff fluid change. I heard the tech under the truck say "diff looks clean" then he brings me over some sample board with dirty oil on it and says i need my diff done LOL!!! i said i just heard your tech say it looks good! and this truck has 20k on it lmao. They are definitely trained to upsell. And if my wife went in there she would have done it so id say it works

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your dif oil sure stinks prob time to change it…… its gear oil it always smells like ch!t lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We have had oil changes done at Minute Lube in the past and you can see them physically pour the oil in the engine and they show you your dipstick after completing the job? Be hard to miss putting oil in?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had oil changes done at Minute Lube in the past and you can see them physically pour the oil in the engine and they show you your dipstick after completing the job? Be hard to miss putting oil in?

Couldn't tell you how it happened, truck was driven in by an employee.

Truck was a 6.7 powerstoke, 9 of the required 13 liters were put in. Invoice of course said 13, but it required a 4 liter jug to bring it up to full.

edge rmk700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It does not seem to matter where you go dealership or lube shop people working there need to be trained properly no matter where you work and take pride in it . Lots of people say it’s just an oil change but many people mess it up.

Top Bottom