Getting tired of this chain case thing...

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so what’s the deal? What type of oil should a guy be using in the pro climb chaincases? I have been to Argyll for a few seasons now and I went most recently to buy some extra oil to top up my chaincase from last weekend as the sled spent a fair bit of time upside down... after pouring in a few ounces I realized this lube smelled and looked different, so I compared it to the old container I was sold previously, and what would ya know.... different product names / numbers, same salesman who sold it to me 2 months apart.

d75f38127be86b5bcd64378af3cd76ca.jpg
ee176118f7950414f94a25c320bc29a2.jpg
e90532ba42108f7e7e4d6e1518ed4694.jpg

My question(s) to the group is..... Does it really matter? Would it be bad if they are mixed as now I have 2 different types of oils in there?

Can a guy just go buy in bulk a different type of generic chain lube from Can Tire or something else that would be just as good, less expensive, and change more frequent?? Any good deals on belt drive system out there??

Anyone else have leaking through the rubber stopper when sled is inverted in the trees?

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so what’s the deal? What type of oil should a guy be using in the pro climb chaincases? I have been to Argyll for a few seasons now and I went most recently to buy some extra oil to top up my chaincase from last weekend as the sled spent a fair bit of time upside down... after pouring in a few ounces I realized this lube smelled and looked different, so I compared it to the old container I was sold previously, and what would ya know.... different product names / numbers, same salesman who sold it to me 2 months apart.

My question(s) to the group is..... Does it really matter? Would it be bad if they are mixed as now I have 2 different types of oils in there?

Can a guy just go buy in bulk a different type of generic chain lube from Can Tire or something else that would be just as good, less expensive, and change more frequent?? Any good deals on belt drive system out there??

Anyone else have leaking through the rubber stopper when sled is inverted in the trees?
I believe the ACT is for the diamond drive. That being said, most guys feel that anything wet in there to keep the chain lubed works. I wouldn't worry as they are both synthetic.

Any reason why the fluid is leaking out when upside down. It really shouldn't get out past the fill plug.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fill plug has a airline off of it, not unusual for it too leak out the tube when on its roof lol

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the ACT is for the dumond drive gearbox.
As for if it matters. That I dont know. If it were mine. I'd drain it and refill with the correct OEM fluid.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My bad, thought you were talking Doo!

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well sounds like I ran the ACT for the diamond drive for all of last season and first 2 rides this year. Might as well dump it and fill with the cat chain lube that I have now. Does anyone have experience with running something off the shelf from Can Tire as a substitute where it can be bought cheaper in bulk?

378Cat

Reaction score
The 2021 sleds have a new fill plug that’s aluminum with 2 O-rings on it. Maybe this one won’t leak like the old rubber plug.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well sounds like I ran the ACT for the diamond drive for all of last season and first 2 rides this year. Might as well dump it and fill with the cat chain lube that I have now. Does anyone have experience with running something off the shelf from Can Tire as a substitute where it can be bought cheaper in bulk?
Any synthetic gear oil 75w90 will work fine. But, the price of that is the same as the cat stuff except you get twice as much so some left for the next change. Heck, I ran synthetic transmission fluid for years. Nice cause the bright red color is easy to see in the sight glass.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got sick of that as well, belt drive for the win, better oil tank, more snap on the bottom, no more oil chamges and topping up and its not the end of the day or trip if you blow a belt, unlike a chain. I dont think i will ever run a chaincase again

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much any lube is good. I always ran synthetic gear lube like 75/90 or similar. I ran atf like lots of guys say once on my xm. After a couple hundred kms I checked the magnet on the plug and there was a crazy amount of filings stuck on it for being a used chain. So I drained it out synthetic gear lube in. Check it again after a couple hundred mikes and was clean.

T-top

Reaction score
I run Castrol gear oil. Easy to find nice squeeze bottle for filling. Do a flush on mine when I change case oil. Run a drain tube for the for the breather vent to prevent leakage have a cheap easy fix for poor sealing filler plug

FTP

Reaction score
I have been using Amsoil synthetic chaincase oil in all of my sleds. Diamond drive 2010 m8, turbo 2011 m8. 2016 m6000 and 8000. Not 1 issue. It is top quality oil and has the proper oil viscosity at all temps. It is alot thinner compared to 75-90 gear oil. Flows very well at cold temps. Message me if interested 13$ a bottle.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am getting low on stock this season but do have a couple TKI Cat drives in stock depending on year of your sled. Let me know if you want to more details.

Chris

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been using Amsoil synthetic chaincase oil in all of my sleds. Diamond drive 2010 m8, turbo 2011 m8. 2016 m6000 and 8000. Not 1 issue. It is top quality oil and has the proper oil viscosity at all temps. It is alot thinner compared to 75-90 gear oil. Flows very well at cold temps. Message me if interested 13$ a bottle.

I've been thinking about switching over the the Amsoil chain case oil for my DD as well. What do you use to flush your Diamond Drive before changing the oil?

Top Bottom