Next winter trip in B.C.

rooster 54

Reaction score
Hello!

I am from Québec City.

Nest winter i am planning to go to B.C. to ride in all those places that we see in your posts.
Which is the best place to go if we want to rent 2 sleds.
Is it better to rent a trailer and a pick-up and go wherever the conditions are best.Or stay at maybe René St-Onge's lodge or, anywhere esle, for a week.Is there a place where we can stay and ride from?
Is end of february or beginning of march a good time to go?
A guide is very expensive, could we meet locals to show us good places to ride?

What are the probabilities to be unable to ride due to storm or fog or else?

Thanks for answering all those questions.

Denytro09

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hello!

I am from Québec City.

Nest winter i am planning to go to B.C. to ride in all those places that we see in your posts.
Is it better to rent a trailer and a pick-up and go wherever the conditions are best.Or stay at maybe René St-Onge's lodge or, anywhere esle, for a week.Is there a place where we can stay and ride from?

Denytro09

What kind of riding are looking at and what experience do you have as riders?

The south east Kootenays offers great riding with groomed trails and good tree riding. A little cheaper than Revy and a little closer to Calgary (if that is your point of landing). Generally speaking, March would be a good time as the days are a little longer with a better chance of sunshine. You can ride from the motel/hotel in Elkford or else a short drive to staging areas. (No sled rentals in Elkford) Fernie is more expensive, has rentals but you have to trailer to the staging areas. Groomed trails in Fernie also. I can set you up with inexpensive guiding.

You will get lots of advice and all are pretty good places to ride. Good luck, fs

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valemount is also a wonderful place, you can get sled rentals and a trailer, if you just get a truck for your rental vehicle. Fly in to edmonton and we are 6hrs West !

I would still recomend a guide for a day or two, then you can head out on your own once you are familiar with the terrain. As stated above, march is most likely your best bet. From Valemount it is one hour either direction to get to two other awesome sled communities, Mcbride and Blue River, you cant go wrong.

We have a few groups out of Quebec that come back every year and they must like it:d

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah march is usually a good time. We rent sleds and trailers and avalanche gear all at our shop here in mcbride. If you were to stay at the cougar den cabins in mcbride you would be able to ride right from your cabin up lucielle mountain. There are 3 mountains that are fun to ride here that are all within 20minutes of town. We had a group of 13 guys come from quebec this past winter as well as a few other groups from there, the group of 13 rode here for a few days then went down the road and rode valemount for a couple days. If you require anymore info about the area or what is offered here just give the shop a call and we would be glad to help you out.

rooster 54

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.Lot of things going on.
Thanks for the fast reply.
We do mostly back country.A little bit of trail to go to our spots, that's it.
We ride 2 RMK 800 2010.
2 weeks ago i was in Creston.I think it is not too far from your place.

What is the riding like in this area(Creston,Fernie).
We see pictures of Revelstoke, do you have this kind of snow and terrain?

I'm not sure that i want to rent.It is very expensive, and those who rent, most likely make money with all the hidden cost(little scratchs billed twice for exemple).

Denis

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.Lot of things going on.
Thanks for the fast reply.
We do mostly back country.A little bit of trail to go to our spots, that's it.
We ride 2 RMK 800 2010.
2 weeks ago i was in Creston.I think it is not too far from your place.

What is the riding like in this area(Creston,Fernie).
We see pictures of Revelstoke, do you have this kind of snow and terrain?

I'm not sure that i want to rent.It is very expensive, and those who rent, most likely make money with all the hidden cost(little scratchs billed twice for exemple).

Denis

As said above....."The south east Kootenays (Cranbrook, Fernie) offers great riding with groomed trails and good tree riding. A little cheaper than Revy and a little closer to Calgary (if that is your point of landing). Generally speaking, March would be a good time as the days are a little longer with a better chance of sunshine. You can ride from the motel/hotel in Elkford or else a short drive to staging areas. (No sled rentals in Elkford) Fernie is more expensive, has rentals but you have to trailer to the staging areas. Groomed trails in Fernie also. I can set you up with inexpensive guiding."

The area around Creston (west and north) is great but I don't anything about it. Cranbrook has good riding and once again I know nothing about it. There are guys from the area that chime in quite often and they could help you out.

Most of the pictures that I (ferniesnow) have posted are from the Fernie and Elkford area. You can be the judge as to the snow quality. It is not like Revy but we do have great days.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go later in the season, the hazards are minimal...except for the trees..LOL
Renting is not that bad of a deal, especially if you would have to drag your sleds all the way across Canada... and back. Factor in 400$ a day for rental. I would recommend Valemount, Mcbride, Blue River, Golden, and Revelstoke. If you want to party, Revy is the place.
If you do the math, it is almost cheaper to rent sleds if you go less than 4 weekends a year..... you always have a newer model sled, you don't have to worry about maintenance..etc.

rooster 54

Reaction score
I have 2 new sleds.That is why i find it expensive to rent.

The cost should be about the same, it will be a shorter trip by plane.One week should be ok, vs maybe 3 by car.
With your car, you can choose to go where the conditions are best.
René St-Onge seems to have good choice.One thing against him, he has only ski doos.And we ride RMK!
But we can manage for a week.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The cost should be about the same, it will be a shorter trip by plane.One week should be ok, vs maybe 3 by car.
René St-Onge seems to have good choice.One thing against him, he has only ski doos.And we ride RMK!

I think Glengine rents poo, and also Blue Jewel.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I'm sure you will enjoy! Have fun......fs

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am from Québec City.

Denytro09

There is a rental place in Cranbrook, Can't remember the name off hand, but Darren from All Season's motor sports has his card there.
I'm from Creston, we ride the Creston/Salmo Summit and Up the Lake every weekend. You are more than welcome to come with us. We usually ride no matter what, so sometimes our rides turn into the incredible journey lol.
newpics620-1.jpg

newpics590.jpg

newpics557.jpg

trailblazer

Reaction score
Ya' and check the "avitar",they look VERY friendly:eek:(lol)despite that,Revy is the best.Numerous close riding areas,plenty of choice,lots of Apres' sleddin',great rental/service peeps.And as stated,very friendly locals:p

rooster 54

Reaction score
Thanks for the informations.

By the way, we were staying in Wynndell.At Jack Wiggins's place.

Saturday night, before leaving, i saw an orange M8 like the one on the photos.
He was on a trailer behind a white chevy pick-up.

We will think about it this summer.

Thanks again

Denis

eClKaNdY

Reaction score
Hey i'm from quebec too but i moved to alberta 3 year ago... so i'f you'r date fit with my schedule i can maybee show you some spot... i use to ride golden/radium/revy and sicamous so... anyway if you have some question just give me a call... i know a few place for rent sled(a few buddy of mine rent some last winter)

pierre-luc at (403) 333-3932

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the informations.

By the way, we were staying in Wynndell.At Jack Wiggins's place.

Saturday night, before leaving, i saw an orange M8 like the one on the photos.
He was on a trailer behind a white chevy pick-up.

We will think about it this summer.

Thanks again

Denis

Yup that is one of our peeps! Cool. Talk to Sledding mom.. or PM me... ;):d Jack lives around the corner from me lol. Lots of good riding peeps in the Creston Area.
Take care.

:)

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am from Québec City.

Denytro09

Rene's Lodge is your best bet

Top Bottom