BC trip Revy vs. Whistler and how to?

XFIRE_800

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am new to snow and mud, have been on snowest for years and just found this site. Anyway, I typically ride Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado, but decided its time to BC and experience the best riding out there. Obviously the two most talked about places are Revy and Whistler. I know I'm in the Revy forum so i may get some bias, but which place is the "must experience"?

I have a lot of other questions and would appreciate your help. We are looking for a reasonable place to stay, we spend many days a year traveling to go snowmobiling and its always on a budget. It sounds like a guide is certainly a good thing to have to get the full experience? Ive gotten a guide twice in 8 years and it was good once, bad once.

So, Revy or Whistler?

What areas are must see/must ride?

Where to stay? (town and place)

Great places to eat/drink?

Fun things to experience?

Reasonable guides? (Not talking full out 6 days $4500 chris brown)

Anyone willing to show some out of towers around for a day or two?

What are some good info sources?

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome, I would have to say they are both great places with huge riding areas! I just spent 3 nights at glacier house resort in revy and had a great time its been are 2nd year staying there and will be going again next year! Cabins are right at the bottom of frisby mountian so u can sled from your door! It is probably one of the more expensive places but our group finds that it is well worth it !

Now whistler I live much closer too so I ride there just for a day trips but Im not 100% sure if there is actually places where u can stay that u can sled from your door, but there is whistler rv if u have a camper or rv, and they have direct access to brandywine mountian!

As far as the riding terrian its a toss up they are both awesome! The pemberton ice fields in whistler are cool if u never ridden there! Just have to hit them on a clear day or it can be very dangerous as there are many deep crevasses !!

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i am new to snow and mud, have been on snowest for years and just found this site. Anyway, I typically ride Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado, but decided its time to BC and experience the best riding out there. Obviously the two most talked about places are Revy and Whistler. I know I'm in the Revy forum so i may get some bias, but which place is the "must experience"?

I have a lot of other questions and would appreciate your help. We are looking for a reasonable place to stay, we spend many days a year traveling to go snowmobiling and its always on a budget. It sounds like a guide is certainly a good thing to have to get the full experience? Ive gotten a guide twice in 8 years and it was good once, bad once.

So, Revy or Whistler?

What areas are must see/must ride?

Where to stay? (town and place)

Great places to eat/drink?

Fun things to experience?

Reasonable guides? (Not talking full out 6 days $4500 chris brown)

Anyone willing to show some out of towers around for a day or two?

What are some good info sources?
Revelstoke hands down....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did my first Whistler trip a couple weeks ago and I'm definitely looking forward to going back.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ridin both alot being that i lived in the Vancouver area for many years and the Icefields were my play ground during those years. I now live a short distance from Revy and its now one of my play ground's and has been for quite a few years.
In all honesty the areas are not the same, Whistler (Pemberton icefields) offer riding you wont find in Revy. So it really depends what your looking for.
Personally i would go to the icefields, its jaw dropping and the area alone is massive in comparison to Revy.
Weather is a big thing and probably the biggest issue with the icefields, it can really sockin and ground you to your motel. While Revy is better this way.
I highly recommend a guide for either one, but especially the Icefields as it can be very hazardest to people not accustom to riding icefields, it has its own hazards not found in most other common areas.
Another huge plus IMO about the Whistler/Pemberton icefields is sled traffic and how busy it get's. Revy can become a zoo of yahoo's, especially on long weekends...something to think about while planning. Though its big enough that riders spread out in the hill's, but the hunt for fresh untracked snow is common.
The icefields location on the other side of Vancouver gives it an advantage that way, plus its massive size finding untrack snow is really never an issue.
In number's of sledders alone, the icefield has alot less and is not busy like Revy, one because sledding in general in the lower main land Vancouver area is not popular and Revy's location, a few hours from the Alberta border makes it a prime location for Albertan's to go.
Sledding in general is not nearly as popular in BC as it is in Alberta or closer to the Alberta border. So if your looking for remote solitude type riding of untrack i recommend the icefields. If your looking for good mountian riding with the sledder's town atmosphere, then Revy.
Weather and the type of riding you want, both are great otherwise in there own way.

XFIRE_800

Reaction score

ad37b6d804fe6d072bb0a7ce217d708b.jpg

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow is dryer in revy in whistler it's wetter and when it is dry it didn't stay that way for long it's coastal snow much greater moisture content

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally i don't find the snow quality better from one place to the other. Depending on time of year one goes, maybe different but one better then the other i say not.
The snow in the interior of BC is drier and finer, which is nice.....if your a skier..... but doesn't pile up as fast so its more common to ride on only 12"-15" accumulated over night. But the snow in the Whistler Pemby area alot more dense and accumulate alot faster and they see alot more precipitation on the coastal mountain's, so handle bar snow over night is more common.

BTW, to ride the Icecaps, you will need alot more fuel. Generally i recommend an extra 5gallons and 2 spare belts. Depending on snow conditions and time of year.

XFIRE_800

Reaction score
Personally i don't find the snow quality better from one place to the other. Depending on time of year one goes, maybe different but one better then the other i say not.
The snow in the interior of BC is drier and finer, which is nice.....if your a skier..... but doesn't pile up as fast so its more common to ride on only 12"-15" accumulated over night. But the snow in the Whistler Pemby area alot more dense and accumulate alot faster and they see alot more precipitation on the coastal mountain's, so handle bar snow over night is more common.

BTW, to ride the Icecaps, you will need alot more fuel. Generally i recommend an extra 5gallons and 2 spare belts. Depending on snow conditions and time of year.

This is getting racial. I like all types of pow, wet or dry . Thanks for the info guys, it is much appreciated!

BLUE PLATE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please explain how the snow quality is better in Revy?
The snow is far drier in the interior, Revy gets just as much snow as the coast or more. When the coast gets warmer dumps,the snow is like elephant snot, and Revy will get the drier snow (better snow quality). Also the snow is far better at all elevations in Revy. Not saying things are not good on the coast, because I know from experience they are amazing. It's just Revy is a little bit better.

Top Bottom