New project SW

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I am on the fence too, thanks for doing all the leg work and letting us know. I am sending my Zbroz lowers back though.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I am on the fence too, thanks for doing all the leg work and letting us know. I am sending my Zbroz lowers back though.
It’s to bad as they look like a quality part. Not sure why they wouldn’t said the geo is different if it’s a performance gain. …but if it’s not a gain. Why change it.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it seems like they are doing the same thing as the ice age uppers? Increasing the castor angle so there would be a performance gain with zbroz lowers only. I might grab the trenchers plus I will have spare uppers/lowers and shocks in the trailer if needed. Lunchbox buddy rides a ton and they held up so that doesn't concern me too much.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll be using the Zbroz, not worried about couple of additional deg. on the caster causing any noticeable steering issues but more important is alignment.
Hell the vast majority of sleds right out of the box are out. The flunky that does the PDI doesn't check it, doubt he even know how too. Insane for what you pay for an "uncrating assembly boy".

BTW, seen heim joint's break on sleds before, they snap where the threads end closes to the joint, they also tend to wear quicker and become loosie goosie. If that doesn't throw your caster and camber off well don't know what will.

Last edited:

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll be using the Zbroz, not worried about couple of additional deg. on the caster causing any noticeable steering issues but more important is alignment.
Hell the vast majority of sleds right out of the box are out. The flunky that does the PDI doesn't check it, doubt he even know how too. Insane for what you pay for an "uncrating assembly boy".

BTW, seen heim joint's break on sleds before, they snap where the threads end closes to the joint, they also tend to wear quicker and become loosie goosie. If that doesn't throw your caster and camber off well don't know what will.
Shipping these back to Zbroz might be pretty pricey. Trimming the spindle fixes one problem, does adding the three washers fix the second problem with the steering rod hitting the shock?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did ask iceage about grinding some off to make it work. They weren’t to concerned.

As for the trenchers I think they are designed to break at the heim joint with a hit…pack a spare joint with…otherwise as people have said they seem to work well and take a beating.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I removed the output shaft. Heated the housing and pressed the bearing out. Looks like there is a groove on the splines that lines it back up.

They seal must just go back to its happy place?

What green loctite everyone using 680?

Anything else besides cleaning the bearing race and housing up?
IMG_1814.jpeg
IMG_1813.jpeg
IMG_1815.jpeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the benefit of this little stub shaft anyway? Beside rattling down the trail?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shipping these back to Zbroz might be pretty pricey. Trimming the spindle fixes one problem, does adding the three washers fix the second problem with the steering rod hitting the shock?
I found once you get them fitted properly the tie rod clearance is no longer an issue. You no longer need the washers.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did ask iceage about grinding some off to make it work. They weren’t to concerned.

As for the trenchers I think they are designed to break at the heim joint with a hit…pack a spare joint with…otherwise as people have said they seem to work well and take a beating.
Ya make sure you use a thread protector like anti/never seize or you may have fun getting the broken end out without drilling.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I removed the output shaft. Heated the housing and pressed the bearing out. Looks like there is a groove on the splines that lines it back up.

They seal must just go back to its happy place?

What green loctite everyone using 680?

Anything else besides cleaning the bearing race and housing up?
View attachment 273760View attachment 273762View attachment 273763
When I do them I always loctite the spines too. Green 680, use a loctite primer first on both shaft and hub.
It quiets down the rattly clutch sound tremendously, it will make your Winder sound more like an R1 motorcycle, very cool sound.
Taking it apart if needed is an non issue but unlikely you'll have too. I've done at least a dozen of these now.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the benefit of this little stub shaft anyway? Beside rattling down the trail?
The stub shaft has to be used on a 4stroke engine because of bearing design. The 4stroke uses a "babbitt" bearing design at its crank. Babbitt bearings will not take the side load created by a snowmobile clutch. The cool thing about babbitt design bearings is it will allow an engine to rev. at extreme RPMs. Thus why a 4stroke motorcycle or snowmobile can be made to turn much faster then a 2 stroke running ball bearings.
The stub shaft is incorporated into the end of the crank to allow a sled clutch system to be used. Notice the stub shaft uses ball bearings which is able to handle the side loads created by the clutch. While the crank see's no side loading.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We were riding Grizzly the same time as the Trenchers were there. Our group started going up a creek and got screwed up. The trenchers started coming up, stopped to BS and on their way they went. Except one of them went nose first in the open Creek bed and snapped the heim joint. Out comes a bag of 6, said he snaps them off all the time.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were riding Grizzly the same time as the Trenchers were there. Our group started going up a creek and got screwed up. The trenchers started coming up, stopped to BS and on their way they went. Except one of them went nose first in the open Creek bed and snapped the heim joint. Out comes a bag of 6, said he snaps them off all the time.
😂. That’s funny

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, more tools more parts, seen guys carry so many tools on their sled for just incase or maybe because of experiences they have encountered with weak designed sled for the sake of light weight LOL. In the grand scheme their sled exceeds the weight of a Winder or almost with all that. But they are one of the first the slam the Winder on how heavy it is, some guys are just clowns.
Personally I prefer just riding then fixing, towing or just giving a ski pull to a 500lb sled with 100lbs of tools, parts and extra fuel.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some Vapor blasting action and clutch looks great again. I was concerned about getting grit in the buttons and main sheave busing so I taped the shaft and used duct seal and sealed around the buttons and bushing.

IMG_1776.jpeg

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1826.jpeg

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom