New project SW

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a real thin coat on. Turned out great.
IMG_1982.jpeg
IMG_1983.jpeg
IMG_1984.jpeg

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone think powdering the outside of the oil tank be an issue? It’s a thin coat so if there is heat transfer shouldn’t really affect it.

I don’t see anything besides the plastic baffles that would be an issue.
IMG_1986.jpeg
IMG_1987.jpeg

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting deep now. Figured since the jack shaft needs to come out might was well powder coat the inner case half black. Definitely some trickery to get that out.

Bearing on the jack shaft secondary side was toast. Hmmm only 800 miles on the sled.
View attachment 274808View attachment 274810
I have a brand new jackshaft if yours is beat up. Will let it go for $100.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its going to look too good, your not going to want to ride it LOL.
The baffles, especially the bottom one will need cutting back. Your going to need to cut them to make them level with the case cover or your new oil tank cover won't mount.
This is the reason this mod is a one way street, you won't be able to go back to the chain drive unless you pickup new baffles.
When you get your kit, make sure you have all the proper hardware and jackshaft bearing because there has been issues with that, wrong hardware and bearing. If your kit has an extra wide jackshaft bearing, it the wrong one, thats for a Cat.
The tank mounting bolts, also wrong ones in some kits.
They have been good at correcting the mistakes but it does holdup the project if it needs to go out.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the jack shaft bearing they send is for the chaincase side? And then one seal for the lower chaincase bearing?

Both factory seals stay in the chaincase?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its going to look too good, you’re not going to want to ride it LOL.
It’s called ocd. Lol. I bought a used 15 t3 xm summit back in the day. Cleaned up nice. Top gun in Calgary ceramic coated the pipe and y. I powdered the heat shields hi temp black.

Nothing i hate more than corrosion..cats stuff sure corrodes fast.

IMG_4229.jpeg
IMG_3984.jpeg

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I see that with yours, interestingly enough I have never had that issue with any of my Cats or Yamahas or any of my sleds (Doo's).
I think it maybe the previous owner way.
It may had been trailered or even carried on a deck without any protection. Many do that, they are more then willing to pay retarded amount of coin on a sled and cheap out on protecting it during travel.
I travel a lot to ride and can tell you that well over 50% of sleds on decks are unprotected. Yup, 2 sleds 40-50k worth of toys going down the highway at 100+km/hr on salt cover roads meeting highway rigs, now thats never going to happen LOL. The salt is in the air constantly, generally my covers last about 2 maybe 3 season before they are ROTTED not torn. Wonder why that is.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I see that with yours, interestingly enough I have never had that issue with any of my Cats or Yamahas or any of my sleds (Doo's).
It may had been trailered or even carried on a deck without any protection. Many do that, they are more then willing to pay retarded amount of coin on a sled and cheap out on protecting it during travel.
I travel a lot to ride and can tell you that well over 50% of sleds on decks are unprotected. Yup, 2 sleds 40-50k worth of toys going down the highway at 100+km/hr on salt cover roads meeting highway rigs, now thats never going to happen LOL. The salt is in the air constantly, generally my covers last about 2 maybe 3 season before they are ROTTED not torn. Wonder why that is.

Its not that we are too cheap to buy a tarp, just too lazy to put it on. Lol

Truck is worth way more than sled, and it gets the worst of it anyways.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just tracking some of the history of the sled. Think it sat outside at a dealership at one point.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you powder coating that at home? Looks good, maybe i missed it, but whats your setup look like? I know you.need an oven, but do you spray that on or?

I have a bunch of stuff to coat, and might be easier than bringing it some where.
You bet. It was getting to expensive to get parts done the way I wanted so I started doing it around 2008.

Just a kitchen oven, built a spray booth with furnace filters , box fan and I enclosed it to a shop vac also.

If anyone is interested I definitely can help get you going. It’s fairly tedious so if you’re not patient probably won’t get the results you want. Prep work takes the time. Once your setup it very cheap to coat. Nice thing is while you’re assembling you can coat a parts and 30min later install. Just message me.
IMG_2009.jpeg
IMG_2007.jpeg
IMG_2010.jpeg
IMG_2008.jpeg

Also have a couple sandblasters I modified. One is dry one wet. The modifications are necessary to get these cheap ones to work well.

IMG_2011.jpeg

IMG_2012.jpeg

Last edited:

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well tank is getting coated. Lol. I degreased with varsol and brake clean. I bake and oil soaked parts at 400f for 30min…let cool, tape any parts that can’t get blasted. Fill bolt holes with old bolts, then blast with aluminum oxide. Blow off with air, high temp tape on anything that shouldn’t get coated and spray. Bake the temp and time required for the powder after the part is at the temp. So bake time for the powder is 375 for 15min but if the part is heavy it could take 20min to get to 375. So the total bake time would be 35min. Let cool them install.
IMG_2008.jpeg

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a setup, nice.
Just don't do your rails, bad idea, though some do. Its not advisable, seen plenty of issues with powder coated rails.
Anodize only or raw.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a setup, nice.
Just don't do your rails, bad idea, though some do. Its not advisable, seen plenty of issues with powder coated rails.
Thanks. You know I’ve done lots of rails and never had an issue.

I think we’re people get into problems is the coater doesn’t maintain the proper temp and they get way to hot …and they go for sh$t.

Top gun in Calgary has done 5 sets for me and none have been an issue. The only issue I had is they sent me someone else rails once. Lol. Last set I did was on my viper in 2020

That being said I won’t powder rails anymore. Just too much Fawkin around. Black iceage or stock colors for me now.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Powder coating factory rails seldom lead to issues related to heat, thus why many do it, because factory rail are extruded out of non tempered aluminum. They are soft from the get go, thus weak already.
The bigger issue is torquing the hardware to the rail. It is impossible to torque hardware to specs. against the powder coat. In time depending on the abuse we found a lot of powder coated rails failing because of loose hardware. This is very apparent with guys that do not loctite their bolts/hardware.
This leads to all kinds of issues from missing bolts to broken bolts to "F,up" rails.
CNC rails, like Iceage and others are made from 6061T6 aluminum, WAY WAY tougher and if you powder coat them you essentially "F" them up.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can’t wait to see this sled finished up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all of these posts my dude! I am doing my first “major” on my 17 Winder after about 5500kms. It’s pretty stock except CR resonator and some ergo details, but I figure let’s get after it. Drivers are worn the fawk out, new CR ones on the way. All bearings in the driveline feel and sound great but going all new because now’s the time, eh? Wife got a 7S Polaris last year, I want in and ordered a Trail Tech Voyager Pro so I can link up with her. Onwards we go!

Attachments

• AD507C29-F6D1-4935-A432-EFCB0C63393F.jpeg
    AD507C29-F6D1-4935-A432-EFCB0C63393F.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 69
Top Bottom