Muskoka Freerider

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he should try some different fuel. Maybe petro 94 or something. I’ve only really seen plugs do that from detonating.
My uncle used to have a psi engine in a drag quad. His plugs did not like the 50 shot of nitrous he would feed it. And would crack the porcelain like that.
Finally someone smart enough to realize that this is simply detonation. Matt even said in one of the videos that he saw it on the gauge. The fuel can be the problem or that it is slightly lean. Most are over-revving and could use better clutching. This is the first year for the 900 so I am not surprised there are a few bugs to work out. Look how long it took Doo to get the G4 sorted out after they released it in 2017. Over-all I think they are having good success with the motor staying together when you see how long some guys hold it to the bars.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally someone smart enough to realize that this is simply detonation. Matt even said in one of the videos that he saw it on the gauge. The fuel can be the problem or that it is slightly lean. Most are over-revving and could use better clutching. This is the first year for the 900 so I am not surprised there are a few bugs to work out. Look how long it took Doo to get the G4 sorted out after they released it in 2017. Over-all I think they are having good success with the motor staying together when you see how long some guys hold it to the bars.

Does he get marked fuel from The Big Eddy. Some say marked fuel is bad for sleds and some others disagree.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe he should run a little av-gas in that sled to see if it stops? There are not many other riders that run WOT as long as his crew does. A little octane may be in order. Wouldn't hurt it.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Are these new turbo sleds made to work with 91 octane / premium fuel. Why should I have to put 94 in or add some race fuel to my tank. I used to do that with my Nitro. Havnvt had to worry about this since I had my 21 skidoo turbo. And for these newer models now running 27-30K alone without any extras and then I have to add 93-94 octane fuel or some race fuel to the tank or my engine has detonation is something the manufacturer should state that 93/94 octane is recommended not 91. The race for the highest horsepower on 91 pump gas is not achieved if you must put even better fuel in there or you'll grenade your motor.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Clearly Polaris has a design flaw with their engine/fuel system and mapping. NA sleds shouldn’t be deting under any circumstance. I haven’t seeen a factory doo turbo or an NA 850 throw a det code in my entire life even with crappy coop fuel. And certainly no spark plugs breaking lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are these new turbo sleds made to work with 91 octane / premium fuel. Why should I have to put 94 in or add some race fuel to my tank. I used to do that with my Nitro. Havnvt had to worry about this since I had my 21 skidoo turbo. And for these newer models now running 27-30K alone without any extras and then I have to add 93-94 octane fuel or some race fuel to the tank or my engine has detonation is something the manufacturer should state that 93/94 octane is recommended not 91. The race for the highest horsepower on 91 pump gas is not achieved if you must put even better fuel in there or you'll grenade your motor.
Well, this isn't something us cool kids need to worry about. :skidoo:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clearly Polaris has a design flaw with their engine/fuel system and mapping. NA sleds shouldn’t be deting under any circumstance. I haven’t seeen a factory doo turbo or an NA 850 throw a det code in my entire life even with crappy coop fuel. And certainly no spark plugs breaking lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The 900 is a factory mod, high compression engine designed for 91 octane fuel and exceeding rpm's or running ethenol fuel in 91 mode will cause DET. Most 2 strokes only run 120 psi compression these days. Just a few years ago guys were running 160 psi. Should Polaris build a sled that requires the operator to know a bit about clutching and fuel quality??? Maybe not, but I am glad to have it available as I can deal with such minor tuning. I know SkiDoo would do a great job building a high output NA 2 stroke. I hope they do as many would chose it over the turbo.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fouling and now breaking plugs seems to be a long standing issue in the Polaris mountain segment for some reason. I know if my Doo went through plugs that much I’d either be really good changing them with cold hands or would get out of the sport. He’s lucky they are easy to get at.
You drive a mustang !!! Your fingers should be limber cold or warm , from tying up your man bun !

Top Bottom