more power for xp

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive seen a kit advertized for cold air intake which is just pods says 4 more hp and lose 7 pounds weight has anyone tried these kits like to stay on the cheap new skid isnt in the budget this year

Had the pods on my 1000 worked great. Think I'm going to try it on the 800.:d:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with jbb. I had two hundred thousands machined off my head to to raise the compression but still be able to run premium pump gas.:d

20 thou?? (0.020). 0.002 is 2 thou and that really wouldn't make much difference, most heads are machined in the 0.030-0.060 range (30-60 thou)

200 thou is almost 1/4" (0.200) and there isn't that much clearance in the head to machine off.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$1500-2000. New 174" is about $1000 thereabouts, tunnel ext, $150-200, and I think you have to get new rails, not sure if they make extensions for the 163-174". New rails are what $500 Maxwell?

You could ditch the headlight, taillight, and extra bogies and it will cost you nothing and make it lighter. Get a can for $300 and it will drop another 10 lbs. Get a clutch kit and make sure you are getting the power you are making now, to the ground.

No point in spending more on power if you're not using all of what you have now.

so which bogies are the extras you got rid of

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could also delete your oil injection and mix your gas. I think its like a 10lb savings and is super cheap. Dont know the exact cost but i think its around a couple hundred bucks for everything you need.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's no such thing as cheating boys/girls. Run what you got. Track lenght, pipes, turbo's , lightweight gas , lightweight riding suit, not eating for a few days before ride. lol. :d:d:d It's all good fun.

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
Here is a idea that goes along with the oil delete for weight loss. Replace the tunnel cooler with a sheet of aluminum. Then mount a Yamaha apex cooler (5"x5") rad and fan and re- rout coolant lines to the rad which can be mounted where the oil res used to be under the hood. This weighs about a pound.
On a 154 to 163 tunnel you will lose almost 15 lbs. weight.
The sled cools just fine, but the real difference we noticed was absolutely no snow sticking to the tunnel or skid.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a idea that goes along with the oil delete for weight loss. Replace the tunnel cooler with a sheet of aluminum. Then mount a Yamaha apex cooler (5"x5") rad and fan and re- rout coolant lines to the rad which can be mounted where the oil res used to be under the hood. This weighs about a pound.
The sled cools just fine, but the real difference we noticed was absolutely no snow sticking to the tunnel or skid.

got any photos of this mod? sounds cool

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do you run the fan on a temp switch, manual switch or is it just wired in full time? Do you need to direct air to the fan through the vents or is the underhood air still enough in deep deep powder days when all the air vents are plugged? Interested to hear more.

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
Do you run the fan on a temp switch, manual switch or is it just wired in full time? Do you need to direct air to the fan through the vents or is the underhood air still enough in deep deep powder days when all the air vents are plugged? Interested to hear more.

The fan was just hooked up direct and runs constant. There was no extra venting done for this except we moved the re-coil insert in about three in. and alot of warm air comes out there, on your right knee. but a guy could easily put something else in like a simple small vent. By taking the big oil res. out it does free up alot of space. On a deep snow day the bottom cooler is enough to cool everything. The biggest overheating risk is going up the trail. The sled was run a few trips without the little fan and the temperature would come up a bit on the trail, but once it hit the deeper snow there was now problem. The thing that sold me on this mod was the two machines siting in my shop right after a good days ride. My machine (M8) must of had 30 or 40 lbs. of ice in the skid and tunnel. The XP sitting beside it had absolutely nothing. People don't realize how much weight ice and snow build up can add.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fan was just hooked up direct and runs constant. There was no extra venting done for this except we moved the re-coil insert in about three in. and alot of warm air comes out there, on your right knee. but a guy could easily put something else in like a simple small vent. By taking the big oil res. out it does free up alot of space. On a deep snow day the bottom cooler is enough to cool everything. The biggest overheating risk is going up the trail. The sled was run a few trips without the little fan and the temperature would come up a bit on the trail, but once it hit the deeper snow there was now problem. The thing that sold me on this mod was the two machines siting in my shop right after a good days ride. My machine (M8) must of had 30 or 40 lbs. of ice in the skid and tunnel. The XP sitting beside it had absolutely nothing. People don't realize how much weight ice and snow build up can add.

I hear ya man, that's the exact reason I powdercoated my tunnel and bulkhead. 2lbs of powdercoating to save 20 lbs of snow accumulation.

Thanks for the info.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

what year of sled did they do that to

Top Bottom