Missing Sledder_Sandy Beach-ICE

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Missing rider-Sandy Beach-ICE

he'd be an idiot! I have no other word for someone who willing goes out onto a lake in early october on 2cm of ice.

Just calling a spade a shovel.

would it be too hard to be a little respectful or would you be allright with people calling you an idiot when your time comes

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

good morning S&Mers. just wondering if anyone has heard from TEAMGREAN as he was wanting to try sledding on water . I HOPE he made it to BRANDON M.. I have not seen any posts from him recently, i got my fingers crossed:confused:

My condolences to the family. I will make sure if I attempt something like this it will be controlled, livejacket, paceboat, in shallow water(found a lake 3-4' deep for first mile) and during the daylight

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Just like every time we must post about tragedy there are many different feelings aired.

I'm personally mad he made the decision he made...it affects a ton of people, most dearly his family.

At coffee today, the first day back after the holiday, one of the gents I worked with said..."Hey Todd"..."You lost another sledder"... "Now are the sleds stupid or just the riders" I was ready to "insert chit here" but I could not...WE HAVE TO SMARTEN THE FU*K UP, the sleds never will!!!!

Calling someone an idiot in this situation is because we are mad, calling him or her an normal experienced rider is because we knew them...

We all know the price that is paid for BAD decisions no matter the rider.

Condolences to Shane's family.

Todd.

deathtoll

Reaction score
i missed the part where they sead he died?????

but out on a lake not mutch hope but no body no sled this guy is a ghost or a good hider

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i missed the part where they sead he died?????

but out on a lake not mutch hope but no body no sled this guy is a ghost or a good hider

on the edmonton news they stated a helicopter followed his tracks until the stopped. if this is true I would be inclined to look at the spot where the tracks stopped. Like maybe theres a large hole in the ice at this point.... Weird stuff...

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be the easy thing to do. However this lake is very shallow and has a loon sh-- bottom. He is probably 5-10ft below, what appears to be the bottom of the lake. would be very very hard to find him in the conditions they will be expieriencing.

rsw

Reaction score
on the edmonton news they stated a helicopter followed his tracks until the stopped. if this is true I would be inclined to look at the spot where the tracks stopped. Like maybe theres a large hole in the ice at this point.... Weird stuff...

Or if he was good at skipping water he could be miles away from the hole or maybe on the far side of the lake! Pretty hard to guess if no one seen him go down!

Dzl

Reaction score

would it be too hard to be a little respectful or would you be allright with people calling you an idiot when your time comes

If I were to go out doing something equally as stupid then by all means....

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Condolenses(sp?) to the family, even though it might have not been the best idea to do what he did, we have all done things that maybe we shouldn't have and walked away, call it bad luck. I have wakeboarded that lake many times and it does have almost a muskeg like bottom to it, if he went under with speed in the shallows he could be 10' below the bottom and might not see anything till the sled starts leaking oil or gas to mark its position (or I'm not even going to say on here the other marker, you know what I mean).

God speed!

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a very sad situation. My condolences go out to the family and I hope they have the support they need in this time.

BUT sledding has been getting it's fair share of negative press in the past couple years. If it's not from us enthusiasts getting in avalanches, or accidents, or tearing up the wildlife, or keeping old people up at night, or or or, it's something else. We really need to keep our wits about us and [some more than others] use our heads when we do [questionable or dangerous] things on our units.

Just my two cents.

Dzl

Reaction score

I'm sure they would. They raised a son who knows right from wrong, exercises common sense and isn't afraid to speak his mind.

Do I feel empathy for the family? Sure, no one wants to lose a loved one ever.

Do I have any shred of symapthy for this guy who apparently has more than once done something monumentally stupid as this without wearing a life jacket or floater suit or anything? Someone who has put yet another black mark in the media on responsible sled owners by his incredibly foolish and selfish actions, at a time when more and more land is being made inaccessable to sledders due to knee jerk reactions by irresponsible sled owners? Someone who apparently has lost a sibling in another rec vehicle incident? Not a freakin chance.

Who I do have sympathy for is the search and rescue team members, of which several of those have had to risk their lives diving into icy waters, and are being forced to use up valuable resources that could be better spent saving other lives that may be in jeopardy via circumstances not of their own doing.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm sure they would. They raised a son who knows right from wrong, exercises common sense and isn't afraid to speak his mind.

Do I feel empathy for the family? Sure, no one wants to lose a loved one ever.

Do I have any shred of symapthy for this guy who apparently has more than once done something monumentally stupid as this without wearing a life jacket or floater suit or anything? Someone who has put yet another black mark in the media on responsible sled owners by his incredibly foolish and selfish actions, at a time when more and more land is being made inaccessable to sledders due to knee jerk reactions by irresponsible sled owners? Someone who apparently has lost a sibling in another rec vehicle incident? Not a freakin chance.

Who I do have sympathy for is the search and rescue team members, of which several of those have had to risk their lives diving into icy waters, and are being forced to use up valuable resources that could be better spent saving other lives that may be in jeopardy via circumstances not of their own doing.

Couldn't have said it better myself..

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above. A sense less death, feel sorry the the recovery people and his family only. As a post earlier I would even call a brother stupid for this.

hashbrowns

Reaction score
maybe there is a little bit more to this story then was said.. maybe the guy had issues that nobody knew of. maybe this guy was mentaly sick and wanted to did this. it was what he loved to do by the sounds of it and its how he die. so maybe before callin him an idiot think before u say chit and think of other sides

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe there is a little bit more to this story then was said.. maybe the guy had issues that nobody knew of. maybe this guy was mentaly sick and wanted to did this. it was what he loved to do by the sounds of it and its how he die. so maybe before callin him an idiot think before u say chit and think of other sides

No by the sounds of it there's a bit of a game with the locals to see who crosses the lake first , that was what the guy's dad said on the news when it first happened , either way very sad .

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My condolences to the family and friends of this young man. Im sure we all have done some things that were not to smart and it worked out ok, unfortunatly this guy did somthing that cost him his life and his family and friends alot of grief and sorrow. Hope they find him soon and thanks to the rescue workers that risk there own life to make some peace for his family. I personally know one of these divers and its a totally thankless job, thanks Sandy..

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No, i have sympothy for the family but as far as im concerned if this guy really "loved" the sport he would be more concerned with the fact that by doin this stupid stunt he only left yet another black mark in the media for us sledders to deal with.

I Highly doubt this man had a illness that would make him try something so stupid i think it was most probably influinced by a few to many drinks and the lack of brain cells to analize the situation and its consequences.

I know my words are a bit on the harsh side i do not mean to offend anyone and i send the best of reguards to this mans family. Did this person deserve what happened? NO, no one does but he made a stupid decision and that it what i have no sympothy for.

TravisFader

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here here! Remember folks take others opinions with a grain of salt. There is a reason its called a personal opinion, and this freedom of the internet makes voicing it almost concequenceless. That being said, Think before you do something. even if he did have a mental "Illness" hashbrowns which i seriously doubt even that would be no excuse for the swarm of media attention sleddings gonna receive before the season even starts. this loss of life is completly preventable. Im sure everyone here has heard the time old saying of look before you leap. This guy doesnt have a next time but for everyone else, utilize it. Take some time and say you know what, maybe this isnt a good idea.

Top Bottom