Major Drivetrain Vibration

330AC

Reaction score
Have a 2007 800 Summit with a major drive train vibration. Have checked the drivers, skid, alignment both the clutch and skid, belt and track The vibration is the worst at high speed under full power (obvioulsy). Not real detectable at an idle. Don't see any leaks or seals gone on the clutch side. A friend just picked it up so don't know the history of the machine

Any suggestions as to what I may check next? or what in general will cause a knuckle shacking vibration, (beside hitting a rock) so I can recheck the list.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jack it up and see if the track goes tight loose tight loose............. Bent driveshaft is hard to see when its in the sled.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bad belt [ hour glassed ] meaning u have to lay it out on a flat surface and look to make sure its flat on both sides all the way around

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
bad belt [ hour glassed ] meaning u have to lay it out on a flat surface and look to make sure its flat on both sides all the way around

that would have been my guess too.......turn the belt inside out and lay it flat...... You will see if it has "hour glassed"........ Otherwise, try another belt and get back to us;)

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have noticed a small vibration too....kinda like runnin on hard surface with deep lug track feelin....wonder if it is my billet wheels too?? will chk belt for "hourglassing" too great info guyz thanx :beer:

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
inspect the bearing that is under the secondary on the front of the track if they are not greased they will seize up and vibrate

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Maxwell, have a question for you about your fear of billet wheels. What has been your issue with the wheels icing? where they raw billet or anodized or coated? I used to run raw billets and my buddies been running them for year with no issues of icing or vibration. This year I'm going back to billets but with powder and a thick clear coat, just wondering if icing will be an issue with the clear or not

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Maxwell, have a question for you about your fear of billet wheels. What has been your issue with the wheels icing? where they raw billet or anodized or coated? I used to run raw billets and my buddies been running them for year with no issues of icing or vibration. This year I'm going back to billets but with powder and a thick clear coat, just wondering if icing will be an issue with the clear or not

i had 2 sets from tricked toys without a rubber ring, they were powdercoated black. the 8" set iced up so bad but my cousin didnt know any better until i took his sled for a ride and knew something was up. took out the offset axel and it was destroyed from vibration we were lucky it made it off the mountain. i had a 6.5" set on mine of the same type and i ditched them after the first ride.

that being said i have NOT tried other brands or plain uncoated billet wheels. i just always make sure they have a rubber ring machined in when i buy now.

i wouldnt say its a fear as i run them on every sled. just the correct type now.

i dont know if it was the design of the edge or the coating

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had 2 sets from tricked toys without a rubber ring, they were powdercoated black. the 8" set iced up so bad but my cousin didnt know any better until i took his sled for a ride and knew something was up. took out the offset axel and it was destroyed from vibration we were lucky it made it off the mountain. i had a 6.5" set on mine of the same type and i ditched them after the first ride.

that being said i have NOT tried other brands or plain uncoated billet wheels. i just always make sure they have a rubber ring machined in when i buy now.

i wouldnt say its a fear as i run them on every sled. just the correct type now.

i dont know if it was the design of the edge or the coating

Thats interesting, becuse I understand how ice will stick to the raw aluminum as it does with tunnels etc, but have never had any powder coated items have ice stick. I can see the theory of the running edge of wheels as they are warm from friction while rotating then while stopped the snow melts and freezes but have never had a problem nor has my buddy. I was leary of going back to aluminum after reading your posts on the issue so thought the powder with clear would help. Guess I'll find out this weekend, you going to be in vale? Wouldn't mind hooking up for a ride and putting a face to the name.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I have 9" billets(raw billet, no rubber coat or clear coat or anything) on my 1000 and 8" on the '04 800 and never, ever had an icing up issue on either sled........ Strange!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
an 07 800 Doo with a bad vibration - I'd be checking the crank run out..........

I'm with Ric, I have the raw Tricked Toys wheels and I've never had an issue with icing.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wurd....must be the coating

I dunno if it helps but I polish them each season at the start to take off any oxidation....I think along the same lines as the same thought process as a polished tunnel, snow seems to slide off easier than non-polished - thoughts?

Top Bottom