Major brake problems on Chev

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, where do i start. I have a 1999 Chev 3/4 ton with a 6.0L gas engine, when i pull heavy loads like my travel trailer i lose my brakes. It seems if i baby the brakes lightly i'm okay but as soon as i need to brake harder there gone. The weird thing is when i lose them i also lose my power steering. i can drive the truck all day long with out a loud and slam on the brake no problem but it seems when i have a load the truck can't handle what it pulling and i'm well within the payload capacity. I had Village Auto look at them last week before the long weekend and he said it was dirty ABS censors. In my experience ABS is an add on to regular brakes anyway it didn't fix it i still lost them this week end pulling my travel trailer. So now it looks like i'm taking it to Grove Pontiac for a $130HR shop rate.

Does anyone have any ideas?:mad:

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it could possibly be a problem with the power assist unit to the brakes. Funny as to why you would also lose power steering tho, the two systems are totally independant of one another. When the brakes fade and the power steering fades is the motor dying out? Summitric probably would have a good answer to your problem.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
SR in in the States on a much needed holiday (fifth week so far....life is gooooood). He will be back on Monday.

Sounds like it could possibly be a problem with the power assist unit to the brakes. Funny as to why you would also lose power steering tho, the two systems are totally independant of one another. When the brakes fade and the power steering fades is the motor dying out? Summitric probably would have a good answer to your problem.

van isle

Reaction score
Are your trailer brakes working or is the truck doing all the braking . If so you could be over loading the braking system and causing the brake fade issue as for the steering issue you need a cooler for them some time if you have lots of weight on the front axle . What kind of trailer are you towing size and weight 5th wheel or bumper pull ? Would help in giving you a better idea what maybe the issue .

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your totally right strange when the power steering has nothing to do with the brakes. I don't believe the motor is dying out but then again i was busy using the electric brake controller, 2 arm steering and wiping my a*s all at the same time, what an eery feeling!! I've been doing some research on the internet and a couple things caught my attention over the ordinary, firstly they mention contaminated brake fluid, it's probably been 8 years since i've had the brake fluid flushed so maybe a possability and secondly over heating i have a stainless steel summer front and i'm wondering if it's restricting air flow slightly causing the fluid to reach its boiling point. But then again why hasn't this been a problem in the past. It could get awfully costly changing peice by peice without any positive results not to mention good luck getting the wifes confidence back up to drive the truck once it is fixed.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are your trailer brakes working or is the truck doing all the braking . If so you could be over loading the braking system and causing the brake fade issue as for the steering issue you need a cooler for them some time if you have lots of weight on the front axle . What kind of trailer are you towing size and weight 5th wheel or bumper pull ? Would help in giving you a better idea what maybe the issue .

The trailer brakes are definately working because that was the only source i had to slow myself down. The truck is a 3/4 ton with a tow package, would it already have a steering cooler, i know it has a tranny cooler with a dash temp guage? The problem started pulling a 1990 21.5 foot fifth wheel, really light for the truck and we just upgraded to a 2005 innusbruck 28 foot hitch pull which i believe weighs in at 9800lbs give or take. We bought the trailer from my brother in law who pulled it with an 2003 1500HD Chev without any problem and he's jacked up with big tires.

van isle

Reaction score
You may have a small coil cooler on one of the power steering hoses you may want to up grade to a small tranny cooler . or see if your summer front is blocking the air flow to the steering cooler .

9800 lbs is already getting to be a big load . And can make brakes with a small issue look big . Things like fluid is boiling , pads are badly glazed , drums out of adjustment , internal leak in master , seized calipers , I'm not sure if it's a single piston caliper but the slids could be seized . There are so many little things one or many that could be the issue . Until you get into some one that you can trust just to have a good look at the hole brake system . don't change anything else .

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isn't the power assist run off the power steering pump? if so maybe the steering pump might be going

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i also have a 10000 lb trailer and i noticed that i had to take out the screens when pulling my trailer but i have a diesel.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read about this on RV.net i believe. Chevys that are towing and having sterring/brakes go out on them.
Cant remember the cause but you can start a search there.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the sys on your truck is a hydrolic assist sys,you will have to first determine which part
your pressure failure is in.measure the output psi of the p/s pump as well as flow,and then check the hydro boost sys,bring it in and have it tested soon because if it is starting to fail now it is only a matter of time before it fully fails

van isle

Reaction score
His truck is a 6L gas engine not a diesel . So it would be vacuum asst brakes not run off the power steering system .

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it could very well have a hydro assist to it chevy has run that system for damn near thirty years ... if your braking is good with no load chances are you are overheating the brake pads.... what kind of pads were used your last brake job.... you pay for what you get .... when it comes to stopping i always told customers to get the best... not the cheapy low grade ones from napa ..... take it to the chevy dealer they know the system the best ... you may pay more for the dollars per hour .. but you get what you pay for one missed diag could cost you more than that ... and factory trained does go along way

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No the 3\4 tons used the Hydro-Boost system also. I am stumped also but would start with P/S fluid check,Serpintine belt and tensioner,P/S pump output. Just a start and check your Brake Fluid also for contaminated. Are your brakes getting so hot they smoke or Smell? Maybe you have a Pad or Rotor issue. So many Questions so little help. You don`t have to take it to a dealer for good work. Your not under warranty. Save some money and find a GOOD shop to get your work done at.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
His truck is a 6L gas engine not a diesel . So it would be vacuum asst brakes not run off the power steering system .
well i am just telling you how i would go about testing this at the dealer were i work and if you must know when ever you have a brake problem that efects p/s as well you can 99.9% assume it is hydrolic assisted brakes,but thanks for you concern!!:nono:and it is a common problem for pumps to fail as well as the hydro boost

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies but it's clearly out of my hands, the last thing i need is the brakes to fail when i'm pulling a load with my wife and kids with me!!!I took it to a mechanic last night to have to professionals deal with it, as many has mentioned it has power assist with power steering lines routed to the master cylinder. This is what they feel is wrong but they are going to test the whole system before making any assumptions due to the importance of this system. Once i hear from them i will let you all know how i make out. Thanks again to my fellow S&Mers'.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got the dreaded call, looks like it's going to cost me $1650.00 :eek::mad:to fix, apparently the hydra-booster is shot, it's supposed to hold a certain amount of PSI for an hour and mine won't even hold for 10 seconds. For fr**k sakes:mad: i hate the cost of replacement parts, i guess it's better than an $1100.00 payment per month on a new Duramax!!!!!

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The brakes are power assisted by the power steering pump, my uncle just explained that to me this weekend while referring to our truck which is the same truck, just newer.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Go slow there buddy, summitric has handled a number of repair for guys on the site at a much lower price, you might save a few hundred if you can wait until Monday when he returns from his much needed (5th week this year...what's that all about) holiday.
Like a Doctor, never hurts to get a second opinion, unless of course it's already a buddy helping you out?

Just got the dreaded call, looks like it's going to cost me $1650.00 :eek::mad:to fix, apparently the hydra-booster is shot, it's supposed to hold a certain amount of PSI for an hour and mine won't even hold for 10 seconds. For fr**k sakes:mad: i hate the cost of replacement parts, i guess it's better than an $1100.00 payment per month on a new Duramax!!!!!

Top Bottom