5th Wheel Backing Plates

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trailer is a 2002 Cougar, 28' long. I have adjusted the brakes as tight as they will go, it take the brake controller gain at 10 for any kind of grab. I'm thinking its time to replace the whole assembly on each wheel. How do I determine the type/size? Will it be marked somewhere on it? The wheels are 6 bolt pattern, 205/75R15 tires.
I seem to remember I priced them out a couple years ago for my old trailer at around the $60.00 each range. Is that pretty standard?

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think all the brakes are standard based on number of studs and weight rating.

Check your wiring, both our trailers had the wiring connections done with wire nuts, they either fall off or corrode and can cause weak or no brakes.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I asked a couple places around town, and that's what they said as well, just to make sure i get the right ones.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3500 axles will be 2 x 10 inch anything larger 2x12 check your magnet for power have someone put full power to the brake controller then take a lug nut and put it on the magnet the nut should stay on magnet if all brakes are not working sounds like you have a ground problem check this before spending money for nothing did hundreds of brake jobs on trailers working for airdrie trailer if your brake shoes are in good shape check the movement of the arm might be seized if the trailer sat for a long time and you will not get new backers for 60 more like 120 plus labour

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to pj trailers in Leduc. They sell the whole kit with new brakes assembled on backing pads, wheel bearings that are packed in new hubs/brake drums for about $150 a wheel. Four bolts and two wires you’re a 100%

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got my enclosed all Tuned up by CVauto.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What truck?

My brakes are pretty much brand new, adjusted this year to be "tight" and I still need my controller on 9 or 9.5

2017 f350

MOUNTAIN MICKEY

Reaction score
When replacing whole backing plate assemblies, make sure right side assemblies go on the right side and lefts go on the left side. Magnet applies the front(primary) shoe which energises the secondary shoe---different compounds in the shoes. If they are switched, there will be a noticeable loss in braking power and premature wear of shoes. Buying backing plate assemblies is usually the best way to go. Front shoe may be lighter in color and shorter BUT not always.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got mine at Standens here in Edmonton. Was much cheaper and much easier to replace the whole assembly - plate, drums, bearings, all one assembly. Significant improvement in braking on our 15 yr old trailer.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, went all in, new backing plates, new drums (with bearings and seals installed), shackle's, bolts and taller equalizers. The only thing not being replaced are the springs. All in around $600.00. All from Standens.

Top Bottom