Last wednesday

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 6 boats out for the usual Wednesday night boat nite, only a few cause the weather was iffy and Wapiti is really skinny, some wednesdays this summer we had up to 17 boats out. Anyway come around a corner upstream a bit and see only the top part of a S XS roof sticking out in middle of the river. we get to poking around , hook a capstan winch on it and pull it to shore. This is it, we called police, they had no stolen reports, probably was only under maybe couple days by the build up of silt in it. We left it on shore, not much chance of vehicle access, no idea what happened to it. Question, who loses a machine and just leaves it, if it was mine i'd been back down there doing what we did.

Attachments

• maverick.jpg
    maverick.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 295

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
expensive piece of equipment to just leave as a "boat anchor"

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the rcmp check the serial #? If so and all is good, then someone may have claimed an insurance loss ;) .........what a waste :(
Yep, we gave them serial number , also gave them the number on the license plate.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unbelievably no, as of sunday it was still sitting right where we left it. A couple buddies looked into it and it's way not as easy as finders keepers, so they are saying . Can't believe neither an owner or an insurance company rep hasn't retrieved it yet. What a shame.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few boats went today, I'm not able to go this week, so I'll let you know if its still there today.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Somebody must be pulling an insurance scam or something?????Who spends that kind of money on a machine and just abandons it???Weird

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
About 6 boats out for the usual Wednesday night boat nite, only a few cause the weather was iffy and Wapiti is really skinny, some wednesdays this summer we had up to 17 boats out. Anyway come around a corner upstream a bit and see only the top part of a S XS roof sticking out in middle of the river. we get to poking around , hook a capstan winch on it and pull it to shore. This is it, we called police, they had no stolen reports, probably was only under maybe couple days by the build up of silt in it. We left it on shore, not much chance of vehicle access, no idea what happened to it. Question, who loses a machine and just leaves it, if it was mine i'd been back down there doing what we did.

Well there is the theory that it was swamped by the owner. And with the engine in mind he left the thing in there as to not have it rust out.
Rule #1 of swamping stuff.... if its in water and theres no way your going to be able to do something right away leave it in the water. it will not rust all to hell.
when you have a chance you then pull it and dissasemble clean and boom. your back in buisness.
Was there a key in it??

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well there is the theory that it was swamped by the owner. And with the engine in mind he left the thing in there as to not have it rust out.
Rule #1 of swamping stuff.... if its in water and theres no way your going to be able to do something right away leave it in the water. it will not rust all to hell.
when you have a chance you then pull it and dissasemble clean and boom. your back in buisness.
Was there a key in it??

Nope, no key in it when we drug it out, and you're not suggesting anyone would purposely leave it in the middle of the river for 2 full weeks with any thoughts of retrieving it , are you ? Sounds way far fetched.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, no key in it when we drug it out, and you're not suggesting anyone would purposely leave it in the middle of the river for 2 full weeks with any thoughts of retrieving it , are you ? Sounds way far fetched.
you would think the engine would be full of silt as well sitting for that long? the Peace is bad for that, not sure the Wapiti is that dirty tho

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Contact the police again, they're not very good with numbers. We have winched **** from the wapiti, and gotten in touch with the insurance company..water damages are complete losses, and we tell them we will waive the bill for recovery if they discharge it to us...We don't own any company, and I don't know if we could even bill them, buuuut we've gotten a few trucks from it, I bought a sled from a fella that did exactly what you just did, pulled it from the wapiti, insurance company signed it over sight unseen.....I'm amazed that some river boaters didn't do what they usually do with submerged vehicles, jump em until the roof is stove back to the rear window. :/ I'd be interested in buying this if you end up getting it for recovery. If you do end up with it, my bush truck has a few hundred feet of line, i'm sure if they can get a commander in there, I can get my bogger ranger....

Top Bottom