(Keystone) Caribou and Standard Basin Closure in effect next season.

schoooled dweeb

Reaction score
we went to keystone today. 1st 5 or so km of trail from road are ok. after that the trail is whooped all the way to the cut block thru to the ridge. made it to the cabin without issues...it was like a highway....some fresh untouched snow along the way ...but pretty much pounded in the high traffic areas. we went past the cabin and trail was well defined
but trenches started to happen in certain spots. we had to fill one big long trench in order to get out....good for the next group. lots of untouched snow towards standard peak.
all in all a very good day despite a whooped out trail in. some pics

Attachments

• DSC09529.jpg
    DSC09529.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC09525.jpg
    DSC09525.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 514
  • DSC09533.jpg
    DSC09533.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 526
  • DSC09542.jpg
    DSC09542.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 523
  • DSC09545.jpg
    DSC09545.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 506
  • DSC09514.jpg
    DSC09514.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 517

schoooled dweeb

Reaction score
Ok so we did keystone on saturday....sunday we did caribou basin....trail in was awesome...as in not whooped out...we had sun, a bit of cloud...but most of all POW
after exploring the area we poked around and found lots of untouched. we made new tracks in lots of spots....main trail thru area is well defined & easy to follow...never clipped any landmines and for the most part...traction was really good everywhere we climbed...some pics

Attachments

• DSC00066.jpg
    DSC00066.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC00070.jpg
    DSC00070.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC00074.jpg
    DSC00074.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 458
  • DSC09594.jpg
    DSC09594.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 458
  • DSC09605.jpg
    DSC09605.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 463
  • DSC09595.jpg
    DSC09595.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 454

Snow Bunny

Reaction score
Is the cariboo basin only open to RSC members before Jan 1st and after april 16, or can the tourists go too? (Weekends and stat holidays of course). I'm a little confused with this? How about Sale, is that only for members too?

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Everyone is welcome to ride these mtns. at any time but Caribou Basin is completely closed Jan.1-Apr. 15. Keystone/Standard are still open to ride Jan.1-Apr. 15 but have new closure areas to note this season. Sale has the same closures as previous yrs. During Jan1-Apr. Frisby has the same closures as previous yrs. but there is a small area at the N end that is has changed and is now open during the time of closures. You can pick up our new map at the trailheads at Boulder and Frisby that show all the closures.

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An article from this wks. paper. Note the pic. caribou scamper during a helicopter flyover, and these areas remain open to heli-skiing. Just sayin`.

Revelstoke Times Review - Snowmobilers concerned about proposed new caribou closures

I like the this quote from the news article "a letter to Revelstoke city council by Bruce McLellan, the senior wildlife research ecologist with the Ministry, says the proposed closures are “traditionally low snowmobile use areas.”

Seriously? How un-educated are these eco-tards? Probably just another bird and turtle counter that got an opportunity to make the big leap into a ministry position by telling the gov and tree huggers what they want to hear.

What gets me is these animals are dying from alot of different causes, but human impact from invading their territory, namely the ones they want/have closed to sleds, does not seem to be near the largest factor in their demise. Simply put, I believe mother nature is just weeding out the weak moreso than we are killing them indiscriminantly!

Obviously going through the proper channels has gotten those affected by the closures absolutely nowhere. All it has resulted in is the snowmobilers to get f'd! TWICE!!! With zero impact to other back country enthusiasts that use the same and more vast areas than the sledders do. I'd say a protest, or a blockade of some sort, but unfortunately unlike tree huggers, sledders have jobs and can't hang ourselves in the trees and fling poo like monkeys at cops!

So what next? Call me an extremist, but come on-enough is enough!! Why don't we just say to hell with it and ride up there anyways one day a month in organized massive numbers as a protest? If it's organized and large scale, someone will take notice and alert the media. It's obvious that the attention of the media has not been caught to bring this story to the masses. Something large scale, and in your face to the government and public needs to be done, but done in a way to show that we arent a band of irresponsible rebels, but people that have finally had enough of being pushed around!!!

Just curious but does anyone know what is the fine/penalty for riding closed eco areas anyhow?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah... a protest ride in a caribou closure...:nono:The penalty could be more closures. Your last paragraph reflects a "band of irresponsible rebels" The media would eat that up and spit us sledders out.

I like the this quote from the news article "a letter to Revelstoke city council by Bruce McLellan, the senior wildlife research ecologist with the Ministry, says the proposed closures are “traditionally low snowmobile use areas.”

Seriously? How un-educated are these eco-tards? Probably just another bird and turtle counter that got an opportunity to make the big leap into a ministry position by telling the gov and tree huggers what they want to hear.

What gets me is these animals are dying from alot of different causes, but human impact from invading their territory, namely the ones they want/have closed to sleds, does not seem to be near the largest factor in their demise. Simply put, I believe mother nature is just weeding out the weak moreso than we are killing them indiscriminantly!

Obviously going through the proper channels has gotten those affected by the closures absolutely nowhere. All it has resulted in is the snowmobilers to get f'd! TWICE!!! With zero impact to other back country enthusiasts that use the same and more vast areas than the sledders do. I'd say a protest, or a blockade of some sort, but unfortunately unlike tree huggers, sledders have jobs and can't hang ourselves in the trees and fling poo like monkeys at cops!

So what next? Call me an extremist, but come on-enough is enough!! Why don't we just say to hell with it and ride up there anyways one day a month in organized massive numbers as a protest? If it's organized and large scale, someone will take notice and alert the media. It's obvious that the attention of the media has not been caught to bring this story to the masses. Something large scale, and in your face to the government and public needs to be done, but done in a way to show that we arent a band of irresponsible rebels, but people that have finally had enough of being pushed around!!!

Just curious but does anyone know what is the fine/penalty for riding closed eco areas anyhow?

• Thanks
Reactions: win

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I guess just bend over and take it then.
I don't think you get it. If something drastic isn't done, this type of BS will just continue. And not just in Revy either.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate all the hard work everyone involved has done to try and work with the ministry about the closures and preservation of the caribou, and my hats off to all those that donated so much of their own time and money, but it's pretty obvious that it was all for nothing! Evidently going through the proper channels doesn't work and IMO the ministry and government honestly don't care!! I sent my letter in to the government last summer-never heard anything back. So really, I think it's time for something else to be done.

I'm not suggesting a ride into the middle of the closure area either, I should have been a little more clear about that. Merely an organized protest ride to the edge of the areas that have been closed by a large number of people upset with how the ministry is handling it. Also a notice sent to all media outlets describing what the protest ride is about and when/where it will happen. Just once a month to get the attention of the public is all I am suggesting. It would be better than playing their political game which obviously hasn't been working!

Once it is made known how many people this closure actually affects, including the economic impact to the Revy area, maybe it might open some eyes and drum up some support! Also it needs to be made more widely known that it's only the sledding that has been restricted. The snow cat and heli operations are still being permitted to operate. I don't believe the general public has been made aware of this. IMO if it's closed to one group of people, it should be closed to all!! Which really if you look at the facts, closing the area doesn't seem to affect the mortality rate of the 4 legged creatures one bit!

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Naw... No one would give a ch!t.

Plug up the trans-Canada because of some "flat tires" would bring more exposure.

Sledshredder

Reaction score

I happen to know Bruce, and he is actually a very intelligent man..but way to make assumptions and sterotype..that's probably why they close the area to sledders..way too many rednecks like you who are willing to pay the few hundred bucks fine and would find joy in chasing the animals on your sled and probably shoot them down for trophy antlers.
And in relation to the other riding areas in Revelstoke-Caribou/Keystone gets MUCH less use..
We live in the most beautiful part of the world and your whining about a small zone being closed for 4 months? Here's an idea- Go somewhere else, or better yet, stay in Central Alberta!!!
oh ya- drop me a note when you plan on protesting and riding the closure areas- I'll pass on the info to some people I know who would be stoked to take all your alberta $$$!

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the this

really???? So since someone is a TREE HUGGER they don't have JOBS??? and since you are from Alberta you are an ass?? way to stereo type. I happen to like trees, mainly down hill pow turns in them...you??? Come on Man! you need to spend some time with a map or goggle earth and look around there are so many places to ride, branch out a little! Or maybe you can find some spots closer to home???

Top Bottom