Kanedog discovers a Clutching CATastrophy, again. Pics!

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I put on the ZRP cover and sent it to get balanced, the difference in strength is immediately evident. Its no bigger then the stock cover, more surface area to exchange heat. It's lighter and cheaper as well. I put their titanium bolts in it at the same time to make it even lighter. I did leave the balancing ring on the back for harmonics.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here’s an 18 clutch after 1050 miles, time for a warranty claim?
9a45d5acfa8b48abd02c5c6fb5007467.jpg

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks like it might be just surface casting marks? You see them all over both clutches on the unmachined areas.
These look to have developed over the last few rides as I have been inspecting after each weekend. It is now feelable with my finger nail. I'm contacting my local dealer to get their opinion.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sucks, but I would just a by an aftermarket ZRP, get it balanced and off to the races. Less than the cost of a couple doo belts.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks like it might be just surface casting marks? You see them all over both clutches on the unmachined areas.

I dont like the look of that. Yes i may be casting marks, but that many???? Change it for piece of mind considering the failures.

What was the primary rubbing on??

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont like the look of that. Yes i may be casting marks, but that many???? Change it for piece of mind considering the failures.

What was the primary rubbing on??
I have touched anything on that side of the sled, clutch seems to rub on the foam a bit on the inside of the clutch panel.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s from opening your panel while the sled is running. The tab at the bottom of the panel folds inwards and hits the primary. Always shut your sled down before opening clutch side panel

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s from opening your panel while the sled is running. The tab at the bottom of the panel folds inwards and hits the primary. Always shut your sled down before opening clutch side panel

I never do, previous owner might have. Hairline cracks are growing. Blown a primary before on my 16, not interested in that again

Jjanke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So as a follow up to my cracks on my clutch cover. Cat is replacing my primary under warranty and they told me I can pick it up tomorrow as they need the locktite to set for the steel ring on the back of the clutch. I am confused as I would assume a new clutch comes with this ring and you wouldn’t have to transfer it from one to another. Is this not the case? Would this not throw the clutch out of balance?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So as a follow up to my cracks on my clutch cover. Cat is replacing my primary under warranty and they told me I can pick it up tomorrow as they need the locktite to set for the steel ring on the back of the clutch. I am confused as I would assume a new clutch comes with this ring and you wouldn’t have to transfer it from one to another. Is this not the case? Would this not throw the clutch out of balance?

Clutches balanced without. The rings are supposedly balanced separately. So putting two balanced objects together still balanced.

My spare clutch also came without a ring.

Top Bottom