4 stroke primary clutch

old700

Reaction score
Recently swapped over my Sidewinder to a primary off of an Rx-1 / Apex (not sure exactly). Put 500km on with zero wear on the roller bushings and everything was looking great. Went out yesterday and approx 85km in went to pull out a gram of weight and noticed the spider had lost all the sliders on the drive side. Spider, sliding sheave, weights, rollers all damaged. I can’t see this being a common failure point in these clutches. So my question is can I use the spider and moveable sheave on any rx1, apex, Nytro or viper clutch to repair this one? The part numbers are the same with the exception of the last two digits (-00 vs -01, 02, 03 etc)
6a843800fc34b12d6e02a5b51bdb57f2.jpg

old700

Reaction score
9d153c6008714759f8fcc7004d4a7c3a.jpg

Well I found the sliders in my clutch (parts 10,11) were installed backwards. That may have had something to do with it. Guess I should have broke the clutch down and checked everything over myself.

old700

Reaction score
Put my Sidewinder primary back on with a fresh set of rollers that I machined oilite bushings into to give this a try. After 150kms the bushings ID increased 0.015” and they are now sitting at what I would consider max allowable tolerance. They did wear evenly and never egg shaped but I guess the oilite is just too soft of a material.
a78058356bbf90a3d7c465f85fcd0cbe.jpg

I made 21 rollers with oilites so I guess I’m good for another 1000km which should finish off the season for me now.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think oilite would be strong enough to use for rollers. Plus, I would be worried of belt dust really sticking to the roller area as oilite is oil impregnated.
I can’t believe you’re having that much clutch troubles. Hope you get it figured out soon.

old700

Reaction score
I wouldn’t think oilite would be strong enough to use for rollers. Plus, I would be worried of belt dust really sticking to the roller area as oilite is oil impregnated.
I can’t believe you’re having that much clutch troubles. Hope you get it figured out soon.

I was skeptical, but have seen guys out east having success so figured I’d try it.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys have been having luck with the thunder products 14.8mm primary rollers, I might give them a try after my current set of primary rollers crap out. My local dealer is stocking them as the trail boys are having lots of troubles keeping the rollers from jamming up.

The bushing slides out on mine then jams on the white spacers then doesnt allow them to roll. I check them every ride, and depending on how agressive the ride is I will check them mid day when I'm letting the belt cool down. Currently on my second set in 1400 ish miles. And 3 belts I think.

old700

Reaction score
Guys have been having luck with the thunder products 14.8mm primary rollers, I might give them a try after my current set of primary rollers crap out. My local dealer is stocking them as the trail boys are having lots of troubles keeping the rollers from jamming up.

The bushing slides out on mine then jams on the white spacers then doesnt allow them to roll. I check them every ride, and depending on how agressive the ride is I will check them mid day when I'm letting the belt cool down. Currently on my second set in 1400 ish miles. And 3 belts I think.

May try them also. I’m selling the Sidewinder after this season though, tired of dealing with it.

Top Bottom