Kanedog discovers a Clutching CATastrophy, again. Pics!

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 05 King Cat had a couple spiders crack. That would cause the clutch to jam, no carnage. My 2010 M8 cracked a spider and broke two secondary helix. Back when the dollar was better you could find new, whole clutches for $300.

I love the Alpha, biggest jump in performance I've ever felt. And I've had a lot of sleds over the years. I don't know how widespread this problem really is but obviously there is risk of injury here. Not to mention the hassle of breaking down in the back country.

I like the look of the ZRP aftermarket cover but it has nowhere to drill for balancing. This is the wrong time of year to have to start re-engineering your sled.

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry folks, it’s all my fault. I bought my first cat this year so it figures it would be a turd. That’s my luck.

I wonder if I should buy this fancy 911 thing while mine is still new or ride it and hope for the best and that the redesigned ‘20’s are better?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry folks, it’s all my fault. I bought my first cat this year so it figures it would be a turd. That’s my luck.

I wonder if I should buy this fancy 911 thing while mine is still new or ride it and hope for the best and that the redesigned ‘20’s are better?
Go ride the phuck out of it and report back if the '20 clutches are still chit.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go ride the phuck out of it and report back if the '20 clutches are still chit.
Exactly.

Just checked a couple used Alpha's and the clutches are fine. So, yes I would check mine every few rides until the whole situation settles itself out, but I sure won't be in panic mode.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!

Y’all are good bro! The harmonics are under control, a bit more power so it’s all good.

I think the 2020’s will be good runners. Aside from the owners adding a skookum clutch cover, she gonna be a’ight!
To minimize the risk of a future clutch failure ruining a trip or a day riding, I recommend the 911 cover right out of the gate. It prevents cracking and metal fatigue. It makes you and your clutch very stiff. The clutch will shift better, belts will last longer, clutch will last longer and it’s all around beneficial. It will pay for itself in a season. I believe if a 911 cover is installed, you should have minimal clutch issues aside from the normal wear and tear. Go for it.

You got a fourth year model of sled. Right at the start of the sweet spot when manufacturers start to get things worked out. Perfect!

Thats what I would do and then giddy’up, yer good to go!

I would sell you my 911 cover for cheap but you haven’t paid me for the belt I sent you. Don’t think I forgot either! Mwahahaha! I was counting the days until you asked for my email and amount to send after you received it. It’s been 32 days btw. Don’t try to deflect and flip this back on me either. You are a bad dog and you must feel shame now.

0ac5729548334f95eec2395598aee1a9.jpg

Last edited:

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Y’all are good bro! The harmonics are under control, a bit more power so it’s all good.

I think the 2020’s will be good runners. Aside from the owners adding a skookum clutch cover, she gonna be a’ight!
To minimize the risk of a future clutch failure ruining a trip or a day riding, I recommend the 911 cover right out of the gate. It prevents cracking and metal fatigue. It makes you and your clutch very stiff. The clutch will shift better, belts will last longer, clutch will last longer and it’s all around beneficial. It will pay for itself in a season. I believe if a 911 cover is installed, you should have minimal clutch issues aside from the normal wear and tear. Go for it.

You got a fourth year model of sled. Right at the start of the sweet spot when things start to get worked out. Perfect!

I would sell you my 911 cover for cheap but you haven’t paid me for the belt I sent you. Don’t think I forgot either! I was counting the days until you asked for my email and amount to send after you received it. It’s been 32 days btw. Don’t try to deflect and flip this back on me either. You are a bad dog and you must feel shame now.
The 911 cover may be a great investment, but it is $260 US....

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 911 cover may be a great investment, but it is $260 US....
Yes, but consider when warranty runs out in a year, that a new clutch is $1,100 dollars retail, a new pipe is $500+, a bellypan is 250+, a secondary is 250, a belt is 225 and a heli ride is 1500 it’s money well spent. The pics are here on this thread for proof for all to see the damage when she blows. Yea, it’s sux balls, like really sux balls but it’s the old adage, pay a little now or pay a lot later. You get what you pay for kinda dealio.

Last edited:

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yikes. That pic makes me cringe. Good find.

In the spirit of cringyness, a piece of clutch went through this sleds’ footwell. It’s not an Alpha but you get the picture. After the projectile travels through the footwell and through the front of your boot, imagine what it could do to a nice soft toe, toes or foot. .
44cfa262d05956d8b068e1e0a1af0259.jpg

Last edited:

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You got a fourth year model of sled. Right at the start of the sweet spot when manufacturers start to get things worked out. Perfect!

I would sell you my 911 cover for cheap but you haven’t paid me for the belt I sent you. Don’t think I forgot either! Mwahahaha! I was counting the days until you asked for my email and amount to send after you received it. It’s been 32 days btw. Don’t try to deflect and flip this back on me either. You are a bad dog and you must feel shame now.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191129/0ac5729548334f95eec2395598aee1a9.jpg

Check your pm’s. I asked for your email way back before you even shipped it.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your pm’s. I asked for your email way back before you even shipped it.

Yes you did ask for my email. But you also knew full well I didn’t send an invoice for a month. We were in contact almost weekly up until I sent the belt. After receiving the product, you went dark. That my friend is where honesty and trust comes in.

This was a covert KBI honesty investigation. I was closely watching to see how long it took for you to ask to pay. After 30 days of no contact from you it has been determined that further business between us can no longer continue. Haha you failed.

Keep the belt for free and enjoy it. I cleaned and scotchbrited the top cogs, the sides and the inside cogs for you. She’s ready to go!

In other news, let’s check out another Clutchtastrophy. If it’s a repeat lemme know.
76ede63efb27888ad85fc1d4baa80929.jpg

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you did ask for my email. But you also knew full well I didn’t send an invoice for a month. We were in contact almost weekly up until I sent the belt. After receiving the product, you went dark. That my friend is where honesty and trust comes in.

This was a covert KBI honesty investigation. I was closely watching to see how long it took for you to ask to pay. After 30 days of no contact from you it has been determined that further business between us can no longer continue. Haha you failed.

Keep the belt for free and enjoy it. I cleaned and scotchbrited the top cogs, the sides and the inside cogs for you. She’s ready to go!

In other news, let’s check out another Clutchtastrophy. If it’s a repeat lemme know. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191130/76ede63efb27888ad85fc1d4baa80929.jpg
And about that time he was gone to Costa Rica lmfao

Lml is a top shelf guy, FYI

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And about that time he was gone to Costa Rica lmfao

Lml is a top shelf guy, FYI

No wifi in Costa Rica? Costa Rica for a month? No snow and mud forum in Costa Rica? No email in Costa Rica? Lmfao

This concludes the KBI investigation. Can’t argue with the evidence. Case closed.

Last edited:

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No wifi in Costa Rica? Costa Rica for a month? No snow and mud forum in Costa Rica? No email in Costa Rica? Lmfao

This concludes the KBI investigation. Can’t argue with the evidence. Case closed.

So I understand this, it’s my responsibility to chase someone down to get an email address to send an etransfer to even after I’ve already requested it once and got no response. No notification that you even sent it either or requested any sort of payment, just agreed to a price with shipping.

But you will take the time to run my name down publicly through the snow and mud instead? Got it.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So really how many of these clutches are really failing do we really have any real numbers is it 1%, 5% 10% because if there were say a hand full then maybe there were just a bad batch of them that are now starting to fail ? It would be nice to have some real numbers, we will always hear the bad but never the ones that are still doing fine, who has a high mileage 18 or 19 with no failures would be interested to know? I know my 18 mountian cat only has 600 kms but I looked it over very closely and have found no evidence of cracking but I will be keeping a close eye on it, I have been debating the 911 cover or the ZRP cover but might wait and just monitor my clutches after every ride which is easy to do, warranty is up this month, so maybe I will invest in the cover after this season!

Top Bottom