Important Rhino Mod

Albertan

Reaction score
Hopefully everyone has come across this free mod at rhinoforums.net. Just in case any Rhino owners have missed it, this is a must do mod. I just completed it while installing my Rubber Down Customs lift kit, and it makes a world of difference opening the hood. I always thought I was the only one that fought with my hood, but apparently not. Cheers. :beer:

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the hood mod is a must and takes all of 30 seconds with a pair of tin snips.How do you like the RDC 2" lift as I heard there were fitment issues on the rear blocks?Did everything Just bolt right up or did you have too do some grinding?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the hood mod is a must and takes all of 30 seconds with a pair of tin snips.How do you like the RDC 2" lift as I heard there were fitment issues on the rear blocks?Did everything Just bolt right up or did you have too do some grinding?

Not sure about his fitment as his is the sport edition, where mine is just the regular suspension. But I was test fitter for Paul when he revamped the rear blocks because of difficulty installing and not being able to adjust shock preload, I haven't had any problems so far on mt machine and I love the ride and stance.

My suspension is on softest setting front and rear and I am about .5in higher in the rear if I remember correctly. If I need to I just crank up the rear for added weight.

Albertan

Reaction score
How do you like the RDC 2" lift as I heard there were fitment issues on the rear blocks?Did everything Just bolt right up or did you have too do some grinding?

I don't have air tools at home, so I had to grind the lower shock mounts on the rear with a Dremel...that was fun. Actually it wasn't so bad once I finally found the best bit to cut with and smartened up and removed the shock from the lower mount for easy access. I did nick the right outer boot though so I am going to have to take care of that right away. The left rear shock popped right in without any problems. The right rear though was a B%^&*. I wound up using a tie down to get it assembled as mentioned on RDC's forum. I have very little clearance in the rear with the shock reservoirs...maybe a cm...because I am running 28X10 Zillas. I dropped around 500lbs on one corner though and the clearance appears OK as the tire moves up and out in compression. Something to watch out for though.

I'll put up a thread with before and after photos once I get some in the daylight tomorrow. In a nutshell, it's a pretty basic install. You have to grind the lower shock mounts in the rear, which I don't think will be an issue unless you like to launch your Rhino into the air alot. It's better than the HL kit that wants you to notch the frame, and much beefier too.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the info guys as I have had some clearance issues over large rocks and stumps[mountains of BC]I have it fully skid plated but still don't like being hung up.I have Bilstein shocks [no resevoirs] and find the 300lb spring to sag causing the rear to ride low.I have since increased the preload to max and measured my groung clearance[13.5" in rear with no sag 26"XTRs].It was 10.5" after my last overloaded ride.After my next ride I will measure ride height and if I still have lots of sag I am going to go up too 350lb springs and then the RDC lift.Pls keep us updated on any issues related to the 2" lift

durion

Reaction score
Can you give me a link to were I can pick up the lift kit. I am in dire need of some clearance for the mountains in the Rhino SE. How hard was it to install.

I also just about died about the hood comment. I have actually had conversations with it to coop with me to open. Doesnt help I am 5'3 and cant really reach the top end of the hood. How do you say to your wife " hey hun come help me with the Rhino hood" !! At least now I know I am not the only one who fought with it. LOL.

Top Bottom