How to tow out a dead sled

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys Just thought that I would start a thread on how to tow out a dead sled. Don't know if this has been done before. Post up Pics of how you tow out a dead sled.

I will start with one poor Picture of the way Mattmedic showed us at Elkford. Only have a close up. MAybe some of the Boondockers have a better Pic

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use about 15 feet of rope and one or two bungies that go to the front A-arm but go through the skies so no one has to ride it to steer. I have to make a cover so snow doesnt go into the vents of the towed sled since my track speed is over 100 mph lol (it fills the hood up big time then your carrying dead weight)

Im going to try the Mattmeddic way next.....just scared that when tied that close you cant side hill if needed.

also towing that close might be a cause for body damage.....some bumpers break just by looking at them (05 900 lol)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snobunji has a similar setup, also similar setup on dootalk, t tabs thread.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
throw muscle at it. the problem is all machines running in the same groove. but it works.

3 sleds to get one out of a fairly steep and deep bowl

also the snowbungie is a savior. allows the tow sled to get rolling in some tricky situations and also cuts out all bumps in any situation

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep - short tie the dead sled and then no second rider is needed. Crazy carpet under the track makes it slide really easy too.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
throw muscle at it. the problem is all machines running in the same groove. but it works.

3 sleds to get one out of a fairly steep and deep bowl

also the snowbungie is a savior. allows the tow sled to get rolling in some tricky situations and also cuts out all bumps in any situation

Hey I saw you doo that at Allen Creek last weekend.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep - short tie the dead sled and then no second rider is needed. Crazy carpet under the track makes it slide really easy too.

Watch out if you short tie when the tow sled is an XP. Going over bumps causes a lot of down jerking as the tow sled goes up and the dead sled starts to drop. We buckled a tunnel on an XP using the XP as the tow sled with a very short rope and nobody on the dead sled.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever used any reducing pulley setups? like for coming out of tight trees? im looking into some serious amount of rope but not sure what type of pulley setup to get.

i figure one sled goes down hill and it will pull the other up but not sure how many reductions i would need. 1 pulley cuts the force in half correct?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes If you go straight down.(and sled is going up lol)
if you go 90 deg it it is much less. there is a formula for this. I have a couple pulleys and slings that I can tie around trees. my winch has a captins head which means I can pull continuiously 1200 feet of rope.(endless supply if needed lol) I can pull with turbo sled then use winch to pull both up if I get stuck. just alot of work!

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever used any reducing pulley setups? like for coming out of tight trees? im looking into some serious amount of rope but not sure what type of pulley setup to get.

i figure one sled goes down hill and it will pull the other up but not sure how many reductions i would need. 1 pulley cuts the force in half correct?

I think one snatch block would do it max

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i found the best way to pull a dead head down the trail is back to back, toss the track of the dead sled onto the tunnel of the towing sled, tie the skid of the dead one to the towing sled, and take the skiis of the deadhead, and put them on backwards (facing the rear of the sled. takes the track right off the ground, which eliminates alot of resistance.

flatlandguy

Reaction score

I carry a single pulley with me all the time and a 6' tow strap to wrap around the tree and anchor pulley. Has come in handy several times. I also carry 50' of 3/8" dock rope ( multi layer, tight weave) and it works great. Tie sno-bungie to stuck/ dead sled, tie that to rope, up hill as far as you can to a good tree, through pulley and pull downhill with another sled or by hand if you have enough armstrong around. If pulling by hand it works better without the sno-bungie.:d

flatlandguy

Reaction score
i found the best way to pull a dead head down the trail is back to back, toss the track of the dead sled onto the tunnel of the towing sled, tie the skid of the dead one to the towing sled, and take the skiis of the deadhead, and put them on backwards (facing the rear of the sled. takes the track right off the ground, which eliminates alot of resistance.

I think I would watch somebody else do that, sounds like a good way to buckle a tunnel.

BrownEyes420

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I know, is don't tow when you run out of snow! Like me last weekend! Luckily, there were some awesome guys, Mike, Wade and Miles who helped us out. Thanks GUYS!!
:) :p

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
turn ski around put on back and give r...your sliding dead weight easy!

just put rope in track...pull great and works.....did it couple yrs back dopping into something i couldn't get out

Attachments

• IMG_7103.jpg
    IMG_7103.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_7105.jpg
    IMG_7105.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 271
Top Bottom