Can’t figure out 12v wiring for auxiliary signal lights

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I bought aftermarket fog lights that have an accent light bar in them, that switch backs to a sequential signal light. And for the life of me I can’t figure them out. I’m thinking it’s an internal issue and don’t have the capability of doing what I want. But I’m looking to make a work around for them if anyone has a suggestion for what I can try.

The light has 3 wires, red black and yellow. Red is the positive wire for the white accent lighting, black is the common ground for the lights, and yellow is the signal light wire.

I want to have the accent lighting lit up at all times. So for testing, I hooked up the red wire to a constant 12v source, and the black to chassis ground for now. So let’s say I turn my signal light on, the white accent light turns off, and the sequential turn signal should start flashing and moving. So I touch the yellow wire to the 12v source and it does just that, the white turns off and the amber signal turns on, but it only flashes the first time and then just stays illuminated.

You’re probably thinning well the signal lights pulse power or the ground to make the lights flash. Okay sure, I thought the same thing, so I connected the yellow wire to the signal light flashing wire. But same thing, it flashes only once.

So I’ve come to the conclusion that internally it does not have a breaker or relay that cuts off the power to the red 12v wire. So I need to do that externally to get these to function how I want.

Is there a way I can use an external 5 pin relay? Isn’t one of the pins on the 5 pin for turning off power?

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u can get a smart relay, then u can control
Flash rate, how fast it flashes how long it
Flashes when the trigger is activated, i no some after market leds come
With a 3 wire setup and u can hook them into a 2 wire power from your vehicle to get your low and hi beems using a diode but for what u want to do i think a smart relay is your best easiest bet u could get away with one if u didnt mind running some cable inside your engine bay

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a way I can use an external 5 pin relay? Isn’t one of the pins on the 5 pin for turning off power?

A Relay with a normally closed contact will open the circuit ( Shutting of power ) when the relay coil gets energized.

Terminal 87a on automotive relays I think.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess a 5 pin relay would work. Hook the existing signal lights to the coil so the relay clicks on and off with the signal lights and makes and breaks power to the aux signals.

85 & 86 is the coil terminals.
30 is common.
87 and 87a are N.O and N.C

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
we’ll, I’m starting to think if it’s an issue with the flasher relay in my truck. I wired up a 5 post relay and my truck won’t skip the relay on its own by using the signal light as the trigger. It’ll power it on but it won’t turn completely off to reset the signal. It won’t even trigger the relay. Tomorrow I’ll steal a flasher relay from one of my parts trucks and see if that fixes the issue.

That or there is something going on with these fog lights that causes feedback or something. I’m not sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom