How do you get rid of ants in a lawn????

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought some stuff from Canadian Tire made by CIL for these massive spiders we have around the acreage. They are like baby tarantulas, about the size of a quarter.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Well here are a couple spideys from Charlottes web. I take that back about the quarter size more like loonie. Anyone know what these are. Could there bite be venamous or dagerous by chance.

Attachments

• IMG00236.jpg
    IMG00236.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG00237.jpg
    IMG00237.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 23

Sammy

Reaction score
That looks similiar to a Brown Recluse spider, i would do a search on them as they are somewhat common to the area and are poisinous. Pictures of a bite from a brown recluse were shown at the last first aid course i took. What started as a red welt on the thumb grew to were the flesh was dissolved to expose the bone and and loss of the entire thumb. Not trying to scare anyone just urging to be cautious.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks similiar to a Brown Recluse spider, i would do a search on them as they are somewhat common to the area and are poisinous. Pictures of a bite from a brown recluse were shown at the last first aid course i took. What started as a red welt on the thumb grew to were the flesh was dissolved to expose the bone and and loss of the entire thumb. Not trying to scare anyone just urging to be cautious.
me thinks that's WAAAAAAAAAAAY to large to be a brown recluse, but i could be wrong!!!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

Your first aid instructor bought into the internet hype. If you look up the brown recluce spider on snopes they do not say it is impossible but very unlikely and that the infection may have been originally caused by a spider bite however the seriousness of the infection was caused by lack of appropriate treatment..... One of our safety guys in fort mac tried to use this material for a safety meeting and all of a sudden we had an influx of "spider bite" cases reported to the onsite medical centre.

snopes.com: Brown Recluse

Brown recluse spider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brown Recluse

brown recluse.jpg

Brown Recluse Spider
female, body length to 11 mm
Of the native North American recluse spiders, only the Brown Recluse, Loxosceles reclusa, is capable of delivering a bite with potentially nasty consequences to humans. The Brown Recluse is distributed from central Iowa south to eastern Texas and east to western Georgia. The other species of Loxosceles, however, are more widely distributed. One species, L. laeta, introduced from South America, has been found in Massachusetts and California. It is now established in the area of Sierra Madre, Alhambra and Pasadena counties in California. This species is considered by some to be perhaps more medically significant than the Brown Recluse, although, to date, there is no evidence to suggest that it is a serious threat. This species seems to prefer steam tunnels and basements and thus is seldom found in people’s homes (basements are practically non-existent in the area where it is now established). For more information on Brown Recluses in California, I highly recommend Rick Vetter’s article at UCR Spiders Site: Myth of the Brown Recluse.
The Brown Recluse is easily distinguished from the other members of the genus by the dark brown marking on the top centre of the cephalothorax that resembles a violin. It is from this mark that it gets its alternate name, the Violin Spider. Although it is commonly found outdoors in brushy areas, it is also a common indoor spider throughout its natural range, taking up residence in basements, and closets or cupboards that are seldom used. It is a communal spider, and where you find one, you generally find many. The Brown Recluse is a timid spider, not at all inclined to bite, and normally bites only if it is being hurt. Most bites from this spider occur when people roll over onto them when in bed, or when they put their clothes on in the morning and a spider has moved in during the night. However, the reality is that this spider can occur in very large numbers in people’s houses with no one ever being bitten or otherwise being bothered by the

Last edited:

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bog...you are like the new google for Snow and Mud......:d:d

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Bog...you are like the new google for Snow and Mud......:d:d

Missinformation irritates me... I have relatives that believe every email that crosses thier screen so I waste countless hours trying to keep my freakishly paranoid aunt grounded....

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Missinformation irritates me... I have relatives that believe every email that crosses thier screen so I waste countless hours trying to keep my freakishly paranoid aunt grounded....

u a good nephew....:d:d

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Showtime, whatever kind of spider that is its gross! lol I had one that looked like that on my front porch last week. I took pictures of it and then squished it! Sorry but I DO NOT like spiders at all and it was right at my front door so I didnt want the thing in my house! When I squished her though a huge sac of eggs popped out...not sure what they are but I definatly wouldnt want one crawling on me! (When I get home from work if I remember Ill post a pic of it)

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did alittle diggin and i believe it to be a Jewel Spider which is common to the area and very harmless. They typically hang out where lights are left on during the night as thats when they are most active reparing their web and feeding on mosquitos caught up. TQ, you are correct the large sack on the back has all the babies in their, upwards of 200 per spider and apparent when born they have a silk tecture so when the wind picks up it carries them around the country side. Sounds crazy but that's what i read. I killed 2 right at my main entrance but left the 3rd one alone as it's kinda outa sight, she's goin to be my bug zapper.

Sorry for the highjack on this thread.:beer:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I killed 2 right at my main entrance but left the 3rd one alone as it's kinda outa sight, she's goin to be my bug zapper.

Not a bad idea. I used the same technique when tree planting in nothern Ontario. No matter what, you would get bugs in the tent when you climbed in for the night. One spider took up residency and helped me out for a majority of the summer. Worked out well.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

not only emails but things on TV......no one seems to use common sense anymore.....what's with that?

cell phone ads......the largest coverage, less dropped calls, the cheapest, etc., etc., just to name one type of scenario

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did alittle diggin and i believe it to be a Jewel Spider which is common to the area and very harmless. They typically hang out where lights are left on during the night as thats when they are most active reparing their web and feeding on mosquitos caught up. TQ, you are correct the large sack on the back has all the babies in their, upwards of 200 per spider and apparent when born they have a silk tecture so when the wind picks up it carries them around the country side. Sounds crazy but that's what i read. I killed 2 right at my main entrance but left the 3rd one alone as it's kinda outa sight, she's goin to be my bug zapper.

Sorry for the highjack on this thread.:beer:

I was going to jump in an say it was an Orb Spider but then did a quick search and discovered that the Jewal Spider is a type of Orb spider found in Alberta. We used to have several of thes at home. I used to feed them large grasshoppers to see how big I could get them to grow over the summer. The biggest was about the size of a twooney by the fall. See link below:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, I never kill spiders. Anything that eats mosquito's is a friend of mine. One was eating bugs on my sideview mirror the other day on the way to work. I stopped at a light and a swarm of deer flies flew past the truck and about 5 of them got stuck in the web on the mirror - within about 15 seconds the spider came out and killed them all - it was sweeeeet.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
I was going to jump in an say it was an Orb Spider but then did a quick search and discovered that the Jewal Spider is a type of Orb spider found in Alberta. We used to have several of thes at home. I used to feed them large grasshoppers to see how big I could get them to grow over the summer. The biggest was about the size of a twooney by the fall. See link below:

That is cool...spiders=good.

Top Bottom