How to Get Rid of Ants?

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There seems to be more and more of them around the last few years, what's everyone's tricks for getting rid of them? I've tried about every product out there, along with some home remedies (borax and sugar, gas, diesel, flooding with water, etc), but it just seems to suppress them at best only to have them thriving again in the same spot or nearby within a few days to weeks. The most effective I've found so far is manually digging up the hill and burning all the ants including the nest of eggs with a torch. I'm thinking there must be a better/easier way though?

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say rig up a hose to the exhaust of your truck and gas them I had to do it once with baby birds worked a treat.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There seems to be more and more of them around the last few years, what's everyone's tricks for getting rid of them? I've tried about every product out there, along with some home remedies (borax and sugar, gas, diesel, flooding with water, etc), but it just seems to suppress them at best only to have them thriving again in the same spot or nearby within a few days to weeks. The most effective I've found so far is manually digging up the hill and burning all the ants including the nest of eggs with a torch. I'm thinking there must be a better/easier way though?

Boiling water poured directly into the area......but it also hurts the grass for a while in that spot

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny, you've had such poor success with everything you've tried. I had excellent luck with gas. I just doused the area with gas and then ran the spade into the ground a few times. Poof! Of course, the grass suffered for a couple of years.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah Gas should do it,, dont let the greanies hear you;re dumping gas on the ground tho....

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cream of wheat. They eat it and then swell up and die. That's what I have heard never tried it my self. I have had good luck with Wilson brand of ant killer. Both the powder and this stuff you hook up to your garden hose.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use powder as well. Seems like they re invade every year. The first time I see the little pile of dirt coming up through the grass I hit it with the powder and that takes care of it. But I swear the little buggers pack up and move to a different location sometimes. Again powder it and so far I've been winning.

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throw a few boiling kettle of water on top and see them do the bacon dance , Priceless

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried all of the home - safe remedies like cream of wheat. None of them worked. I picked up a powder ant killer and haven't seen them for 2 years. It was a very large nest. I'll have to check to see if I kept the bottle.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I've got 3 acres covered in ants.That's a lot of boiling water!

Mikey, mix up some Malathion (that's an insecticide for house plants that my mother faithfully used) in a big hand held sprayer (the ones with the hand pump on it). If I were closer you could borrow mine. Mix it twice as strong as recommended and spray each "hill". It will work wonders. I only have an acre and that has been a god send.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
agreed, I have started using the powder after trying all kind of other chit that never worked, the powder knocks them out pretty good

I tried all of the home - safe remedies like cream of wheat. None of them worked. I picked up a powder ant killer and haven't seen them for 2 years. It was a very large nest. I'll have to check to see if I kept the bottle.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had good luck with the powder "ant killer " on the label

had carpenter ants ' the big black ones' moving into the house as there colony grows they move to a new area and you need to attack the main colony to stop them it took me 2 years to get handle on the bastages , I sat in the back yard on a lawn chair and lookin at ants movin around until I friggered out where there living then give them the powder

good luck - I called the Orkin man for this info

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The trouble this day and age is that all the "good stuff" has been removed from the shelves. In most cases, one has to ask for Malathion because it is in a back room so to speak.

I don't think a place like HomeDepot/Lowes would have Malathion. A green house or tree farm place would definitely have it.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe I use the Wilson stuff. Mix it up in a handheld sprayer and it decimates those little fuggers.

Top Bottom