How to Get Rid of Ants?

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canadian Tire and UFA still stock Malathion(Walmart did until last year).I have 2 acres to spray,so big jugs(10l) from UFA for me.Get it before they outlaw it too!
The trouble this day and age is that all the "good stuff" has been removed from the shelves. In most cases, one has to ask for Malathion because it is in a back room so to speak.

I don't think a place like HomeDepot/Lowes would have Malathion. A green house or tree farm place would definitely have it.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good info! I have some malathion still kicking around from way back when - I'll be giving it a try for sure! It doesn't seem too hard to kill the ants on top of the ground, but getting the ones in the nest is the hard part - do you have to really soak the nest in malathion, or just a good spray on the top should do the trick?

The powder some have mentioned - any idea what brand, etc? Where to buy it?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good info! I have some malathion still kicking around from way back when - I'll be giving it a try for sure! It doesn't seem too hard to kill the ants on top of the ground, but getting the ones in the nest is the hard part - do you have to really soak the nest in malathion, or just a good spray on the top should do the trick?

I just put on a liberal dose. It seems that you don't really have to soak it. I think as soon as they contact the poison, that's it! I also think that those that are in the process of going back into the "nest for protection" carry some of it with them and that always gets a few more.

As for the purchase at CT, I have had to ask because it hasn't been on the shelves.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm using "Later's" ant killer powder. I cant seem to find a link to show you a picture and I can't remember where I bought it, a hardware store of some sort more that likely. I have also used the liquid kind eg. with success.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had good luck with the powder "ant killer " on the label

had carpenter ants ' the big black ones' moving into the house as there colony grows they move to a new area and you need to attack the main colony to stop them it took me 2 years to get handle on the bastages , I sat in the back yard on a lawn chair and lookin at ants movin around until I friggered out where there living then give them the powder

good luck - I called the Orkin man for this info
I has some ants, not the big ones come into the house as well. Still cant figure out where they were getting in but they had a little soldier line going so I put some powder in their path. Came back a few days later and vacuumed up a trail of death and that took care of that. Since I could not find where they were coming in I left a little powder near where I saw them and so far so good.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am glad I found you a solution.

Top Bottom