Hey Maxwell!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe this was my intention anyway and was noted , what you seem to not understand and after all these years (and i'm not sure why you don't understand) is that I will go to extreme measures and blow large sums of money Just to long cock you Sean lol. Its just something I feel needs to be done.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly in my opinion the first comparison was poor in that Paul had a stock turbo 175 Doo in deep snow against a turbo Poo with a 165 track and a massaged 165 Alpha. In that snow I would expect the Doo to win. In this case I would expect the turbo 175 Poo to win as it runs more boost and is lighter. I guess if Chris had a boost gauge and dialed his back to match the Doo's boost then that would be a fairer comparison with equal weight riders. It is fun watching all the back and forth jousting though! HaHa!:fencing::rolling:

How do you dial a pro turbo back to 0 lbs boost? after all according to kingcat on this site its a zero boost turbo. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where’s AJ? We chummed the waters....

Attachments

• 4F5F496F-018D-47FC-9D00-3F77C4B88E70.jpg
    4F5F496F-018D-47FC-9D00-3F77C4B88E70.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 233

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
As me about warrantees, Martins would gladly vouch for me, I've had everything from my engine on the last day of the first years riding, clutches, starter, fuel rail, hood, wiring, etc over the years on my 17. I had a nytro turbo, and had many issues too and had a lot of fun with that machine. I like that I can just fill the sled up with 91 pump gas go hit the mountains or around parkland county and don't have to worry about popping my motor or dialing in my turbo. Yes I had to re-clutch and with the Dynamo Joe clutch kit this thing is even sweeter. I'll add some bling, like a front and back bumper, skid plate, a few other minor things but that's it. For the fun factor this gets a 10/10 in my book, and knowing that I have full warrantee for 2 years is sweet. I would not go aftermarket turbo on the skidoos anymore with this option there. If I was buying a Polaris I would go see Chris at Parkland and have him install the MTNTK turbo, as they work good but I loose both warrantee and possibly some reliability. Before I snow checked I took Trish's sled for a rip in Valemount, I immediately decided to stick with a Doo, and after reading Maxwells comments above In the book he wrote earlier I agree with him. Its all in personal preference as well. When I first got on the Nytro years ago I thought what did I do, then after a while I figured out how to ride it and could do doughnuts and play in areas quite easily, then got my T3 after that and thought again, what the heck, then after a few rides was comfortable. With the Polaris the biggest issue I found was the steering, was like having a shopping cart with a screwed up wheel, and would be more difficult to switch over. And I own a Polaris product a Razor 1000 and that's a great machine.

Lester777

Reaction score
Where’s AJ? We chummed the waters....

LoL, the wife had me building some stuff around the house today. I'm on quarantine because I went to Angle Inlet in MN for a few days on a filming project, now I gotta stay home for 14 days. May I hope this covid crap tapers off......Thats a pretty funny pic, got me laughing right there!

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did anyone ever put a boost gauge on a Tdoo? Or too scared to see what might not be seen.....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ozone, lester, maxy, whoever.....All you guys know there were cool people long before you were cool right? Ok just checking.

Now shut up and watch this new release from Polaris (no hood cause its top secret but if you watch real close you can catch it on the snowflap). 2022 Khaos gonna give the Doo crew a run for their money!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fdTCUknaQ

Pavmentsurfer

Reaction score
Seems like most of the questions about the shootout video have been answered but I just wanted to chime in here and say that ive read all the comments. (21 pages worth). You all seem like great guys. Im usually the one at Snowtrax who takes the most crap because I do most of the shootouts. Whats interesting is that no matter what I do, im always biased, or know nothing, or dont know how to ride etc. This is because in a shootout, one brand always looses and anyone who owns that brand gets their panties in a knot and has to defend their purchase by attacking me. Ive got big shoulders and can take any criticism, but the personal attacks or name calling is just juvenile.
Like AJ, I can hold my own in the mountains. Ridden with the best and never once held them back or said I wouldnt go where they led me. Am I a full time mountain rider? No. I live in ontario. Id consider myself (as I think AJ would) to be an above average mountain rider.

Few things:
-I %100 understand that not EVERYONE rides below 7000 feet all the time. However, that number came from non biased industry sources who do the research. Im a firm believer in numbers. They dont lie. They simply are what they are.

-As has been reiterated. I DO know the skidoo makes a claimed 165 hp. In fact skidoos website clearly states that this was a dyno tested number under ideal conditions. Ive never seen a manufacturer make that claim.

-After racing snowcross for a decade, working with best engine builders and other performance gurus in the industry, one thing became very clear, very quickly. Weight affects how horsepower gets to the ground. Im a big guy. 6'1 235lbs. I also race mountain bikes. I have spend an embarrassing amount of money making my bike as light as possible. However, if I just ate a few less burgers and drank a few less beers, I could save WAY more weight off of ME and be faster... and it would actually SAVE me money. This translates to powersports as well. That sled has to carry YOU up the mountain as well as itself. So, If you put me on a Polaris and AJ on a turbo skidoo, the weight equation becomes far different. Which can often explain real world results being different for one group of riders to the next.

-I feel I need to address something I did in the this shootout that most probably didnt catch. Because Polaris doesnt make actual horsepower claims, I searched for dyno results from respected dyno operators. I then picked the LOWEST one I had found. Ive heard many say that the skidoo turbo makes more than 165 horsepower... ive also seen numerous dyno results that say the polaris makes as much as 174 horsepower. I think I was more than fair in how I did the math here.

-It seems like some of you think the point I was trying to make in the story was that the skidoo NEVER gains a power advantage. But that isnt what I said at all. The higher you climb, the more the turbo is going to benefit you. My point was that the playing field doesnt really become EVEN, after compensating for weight, untill around 6000-7000 feet. After this altitude the skidoo DOES have a power advantage and the higher you go, the more advantage it has (up to the point where the turbo stops compensating, at which time the advantage the skidoo has is maintained, but doesnt rise). My point about weight being the same at 1000 feet as it is at 7000 feet isnt incorrect in any way. And, its not wrong to point that out when your comparing to vehicles designed to do exactly the same thing.

-In regards to weight, let me ask you this. If you were on the side of a hill and someone put 2 rocks in front of you and said "push one of these up the hill". Would you pick the rock that weighted 50lbs more? No... why? Because it takes more effort to push the heavier rock. Lets say you were told the same thing, but there was 4 feet of fresh powder on the hill. Why would you choose the lighter rock? Im not trying to suggest, through this analogy, that the skidoo ISNT a great deep snow sled or a great climber. I know for a fact it is. But lets not ever try to suggest that it doesnt take more horsepower to push an extra 50lbs up a hill.

-I completely get brand loyalty. I love Scott bicycles. Its all I ride. Next bike will be a Scott. However, I understand that this makes me biased. Which means my opinion about what bike is good or bad isnt as valid as the the guys from GMBN who ride and test everything. I get this and therefore, dont bash other brands of bikes because I realize im not qualified to make bold statements about them not being any good. Have i ridden other bikes. Yes, lots of them. But I come back to my scott and feel right at home. To me, its the best. Ive read stories from MTB media that has said the Scott ISNT the best. Instead of getting hyped up and screaming that theyre wrong and know nothing about bikes, I simply accept that the opportunities their jobs afford them to ride everything under the sun means their view of my bike is probably more accurate than my sheltered view of it. If someone were to suggest my bike is junk, id be annoyed by that because I know its not. But I didnt ever say the skidoo was junk. Im not calling anyone out here. Im simply highlighting the reality of what AJ and I get to do that very few others get to do also. We are EXTREMELY blessed to have the jobs we have and we absolutely KNOW it and appreciate it. Which is why our opinions are never for sale.

-Finally, theres been alot of talk about one sled handling better or feeling better to ride. This is very reasonable point. However, my views on how one sled handles or feels isnt wrong because yours is different. Feel and handling are 2 things that are very subjective. I believe a great mountain rider can ride anything well. But if you ask them what feels better, they will know immediately. That same thing may not feel right at all to you. So, Disagreeing with our views on how something handles is reasonable. But saying were wrong about it isnt. Were not any more wrong than your right. Were just different. I can only tell you how a sled feels to me. I cant tell you how it will feel to you. If you find that my opinions arent in line with yours, im probably not the right reviewer to look to for advice on your next sled. Traditionally, AJ, Mark and I have had different opinions on what feels right to us individually. People have said they tend to connect with one of us over the others because our preference matches their preference. I think this is great.

I hope this is useful information in some way or at least explains a bit more about us, what we do and why we do it. Like you, were are all passionate snowmobilers... addicted really. We love this sport more than any other and ride every spare second we get. I think thats one way were all alike.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ozone, lester, maxy, whoever.....All you guys know there were cool people long before you were cool right? Ok just checking.

Now shut up and watch this new release from Polaris (no hood cause its top secret but if you watch real close you can catch it on the snowflap). 2022 Khaos gonna give the Doo crew a run for their money!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fdTCUknaQ

I’ve said it before but man, the old days looked gnarly!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve said it before but man, the old days looked gnarly!

The good old days were gnarly. But today’s sleds are unbelievable. Such a fun sport to be a part of. Lots of great memories to be made in the hills regardless of what brand you like.

Attachments

• 0F938118-056E-4200-866D-5E6E99795723.jpg
    0F938118-056E-4200-866D-5E6E99795723.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 240
  • A34F741D-3D0A-4686-9F3C-DDD87663849C.jpg
    A34F741D-3D0A-4686-9F3C-DDD87663849C.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 234

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like most of the questions about the shootout video have been answered but I just wanted to chime in here and say that ive read all the comments. (21 pages worth). You all seem like great guys. Im usually the one at Snowtrax who takes the most crap because I do most of the shootouts. Whats interesting is that no matter what I do, im always biased, or know nothing, or dont know how to ride etc. This is because in a shootout, one brand always looses and anyone who owns that brand gets their panties in a knot and has to defend their purchase by attacking me. Ive got big shoulders and can take any criticism, but the personal attacks or name calling is just juvenile.
Like AJ, I can hold my own in the mountains. Ridden with the best and never once held them back or said I wouldnt go where they led me. Am I a full time mountain rider? No. I live in ontario. Id consider myself (as I think AJ would) to be an above average mountain rider.

Few things:
-I %100 understand that not EVERYONE rides below 7000 feet all the time. However, that number came from non biased industry sources who do the research. Im a firm believer in numbers. They dont lie. They simply are what they are.

-As has been reiterated. I DO know the skidoo makes a claimed 165 hp. In fact skidoos website clearly states that this was a dyno tested number under ideal conditions. Ive never seen a manufacturer make that claim.

-After racing snowcross for a decade, working with best engine builders and other performance gurus in the industry, one thing became very clear, very quickly. Weight affects how horsepower gets to the ground. Im a big guy. 6'1 235lbs. I also race mountain bikes. I have spend an embarrassing amount of money making my bike as light as possible. However, if I just ate a few less burgers and drank a few less beers, I could save WAY more weight off of ME and be faster... and it would actually SAVE me money. This translates to powersports as well. That sled has to carry YOU up the mountain as well as itself. So, If you put me on a Polaris and AJ on a turbo skidoo, the weight equation becomes far different. Which can often explain real world results being different for one group of riders to the next.

-I feel I need to address something I did in the this shootout that most probably didnt catch. Because Polaris doesnt make actual horsepower claims, I searched for dyno results from respected dyno operators. I then picked the LOWEST one I had found. Ive heard many say that the skidoo turbo makes more than 165 horsepower... ive also seen numerous dyno results that say the polaris makes as much as 174 horsepower. I think I was more than fair in how I did the math here.

-It seems like some of you think the point I was trying to make in the story was that the skidoo NEVER gains a power advantage. But that isnt what I said at all. The higher you climb, the more the turbo is going to benefit you. My point was that the playing field doesnt really become EVEN, after compensating for weight, untill around 6000-7000 feet. After this altitude the skidoo DOES have a power advantage and the higher you go, the more advantage it has (up to the point where the turbo stops compensating, at which time the advantage the skidoo has is maintained, but doesnt rise). My point about weight being the same at 1000 feet as it is at 7000 feet isnt incorrect in any way. And, its not wrong to point that out when your comparing to vehicles designed to do exactly the same thing.

-In regards to weight, let me ask you this. If you were on the side of a hill and someone put 2 rocks in front of you and said "push one of these up the hill". Would you pick the rock that weighted 50lbs more? No... why? Because it takes more effort to push the heavier rock. Lets say you were told the same thing, but there was 4 feet of fresh powder on the hill. Why would you choose the lighter rock? Im not trying to suggest, through this analogy, that the skidoo ISNT a great deep snow sled or a great climber. I know for a fact it is. But lets not ever try to suggest that it doesnt take more horsepower to push an extra 50lbs up a hill.

-I completely get brand loyalty. I love Scott bicycles. Its all I ride. Next bike will be a Scott. However, I understand that this makes me biased. Which means my opinion about what bike is good or bad isnt as valid as the the guys from GMBN who ride and test everything. I get this and therefore, dont bash other brands of bikes because I realize im not qualified to make bold statements about them not being any good. Have i ridden other bikes. Yes, lots of them. But I come back to my scott and feel right at home. To me, its the best. Ive read stories from MTB media that has said the Scott ISNT the best. Instead of getting hyped up and screaming that theyre wrong and know nothing about bikes, I simply accept that the opportunities their jobs afford them to ride everything under the sun means their view of my bike is probably more accurate than my sheltered view of it. If someone were to suggest my bike is junk, id be annoyed by that because I know its not. But I didnt ever say the skidoo was junk. Im not calling anyone out here. Im simply highlighting the reality of what AJ and I get to do that very few others get to do also. We are EXTREMELY blessed to have the jobs we have and we absolutely KNOW it and appreciate it. Which is why our opinions are never for sale.

-Finally, theres been alot of talk about one sled handling better or feeling better to ride. This is very reasonable point. However, my views on how one sled handles or feels isnt wrong because yours is different. Feel and handling are 2 things that are very subjective. I believe a great mountain rider can ride anything well. But if you ask them what feels better, they will know immediately. That same thing may not feel right at all to you. So, Disagreeing with our views on how something handles is reasonable. But saying were wrong about it isnt. Were not any more wrong than your right. Were just different. I can only tell you how a sled feels to me. I cant tell you how it will feel to you. If you find that my opinions arent in line with yours, im probably not the right reviewer to look to for advice on your next sled. Traditionally, AJ, Mark and I have had different opinions on what feels right to us individually. People have said they tend to connect with one of us over the others because our preference matches their preference. I think this is great.

I hope this is useful information in some way or at least explains a bit more about us, what we do and why we do it. Like you, were are all passionate snowmobilers... addicted really. We love this sport more than any other and ride every spare second we get. I think thats one way were all alike.

Your opinions are great and they are yours. My opinion which I formed many years ago watching Snowrtrax TV is that it is a Polaris infomercial.

Pavmentsurfer

Reaction score
Your opinions are great and they are yours. My opinion which I formed many years ago watching Snowrtrax TV is that it is a Polaris infomercial.

Would that have been during the years skidoo's won pretty much every shootout and sled of the year award? Or 2018 when the summit beat the Axys RMK in a shootout?

Recently polaris has won alot. That's because in numerous categories they are building the best handling, most comfortable sleds that have motors with the best power characteristics. Not just my opinion... but that of our entire crew. The second another OEM builds a sled that provides a better overall riding experience, it will win everything.

I've said it many times, I don't care who builds it, I just want to ride the perfect snowmobile. Right now, polaris is closer than the rest. But with a little focus and investment, they all have the potential to do better.

Top Bottom