Handheld / Personal GPS

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So u check gps city or gps central? They have all kinds of units. Garmin etrec will be close to same price, way more useful and have more info. They will even have the back home unit. you are talking about

Last edited:

Reaction score
So u check gps city or gps central? They have all kinds of units. Garmin etrec will be close to same price, way more useful and have more info. They will even gave the back hone unit. you are talking about

I've just checked GPSCentral.... same models/options as Amazon but seems to be $10 to $30 cheaper on the units I was looking at. I've seen the same Garmin Etrex 10 (and others) on Amazon as well, but it's a bit cheaper on gpscentral it seems.

Reaction score
So u check gps city or gps central? They have all kinds of units. Garmin etrec will be close to same price, way more useful and have more info. They will even gave the back hone unit. you are talking about

Is your name Phil by any chance? :Þ He is always trying to up-sell me things I don't need as well lol

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless they've made big improvements to the Etrex units, I wouldn't get one again. Mine would always lose the satellites in the trees (not heavy coverage either). I think the Rino's work well because of the external antenna.
Go to GPS Central or call them. Very helpful and know their stuff.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember guy, like anything else you get what you pay for.
Cheap socks and boots = cold feet.
Cheap winter gear = cold not enjoyable.
Cheap GPS = chit reception occasionally not that accurate sometimes.
Just sayin.
Kinda like golf, guys spend hundreds on a driver but won't spend over 80 bucks on a putter when half the game is on the green.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless they've made big improvements to the Etrex units, I wouldn't get one again. Mine would always lose the satellites in the trees (not heavy coverage either). I think the Rino's work well because of the external antenna.
Go to GPS Central or call them. Very helpful and know their stuff.
Etrex, yes. That's the same POS. I had.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the garmin 5- 8 years back could not acquire a satellite signal to save their sole. None would lock on in a house. Magellans never did have that problem. Modern garmins this problem has gone away. I have owned 3 garmin and 3 Magellan gps's not one of these would get a signal inside a westjet airline. But my Samsung tablet will lock on inside these planes and get 5 times the clarity and way better maps than you can get with both garmin and magellan. I cannot see anyone buying a handheld gps in a few years and they should not be buying them now.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the garmin 5- 8 years back could not acquire a satellite signal to save their sole. None would lock on in a house. Magellans never did have that problem. Modern garmins this problem has gone away. I have owned 3 garmin and 3 Magellan gps's not one of these would get a signal inside a westjet airline. But my Samsung tablet will lock on inside these planes and get 5 times the clarity and way better maps than you can get with both garmin and magellan. I cannot see anyone buying a handheld gps in a few years and they should not be buying them now.

Not sure i will need a gps in a plane! Lol,
I tried a ski tracks program on a phone, a bit hard to understand, was told it worked awesome, still. Phones seem to be making good progress, May have to look at it more

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use my smart phone in my plane and when I am out sledding. Some really good apps out there. Gaia is what I use sledding.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Windows 10 offline maps are just amazing, of coarse my tablet is an android. I have google maps app which you can download up to 50k square offline area, some of it is super clear others are not so clear. The other app i use which is etopo maps by memory maps. It is just amazing, i have the whole province of bc stored on it. I am sure the westjet pilots could of landed their plane in a snow storm just using my tablet. Of coarse a tablet is a little big but pda's and phones hardware are increasing at an alarming rate. Big battle between android, iphone and now the new kid on the block windows 10 phone. I have been after google to improve their offline clarity to match that of microsofts windows 10.

Reaction score

Are you sure it wasn't using 3G or LTE, rather than GPS?

Reaction score
No, i have went through same type of quest.

Fair enough. Being that we have nothing at all now, and it hasn't been a problem, I have to temper my search with a bit of reality. I always have to buy everything x 4, and since we all have phones maybe that is the better option. I might looks at some apps today. I hadn't considered it really, because I was thinking about cell towers, and not considering GPS.

Reaction score
Windows 10 offline maps are just amazing, of coarse my tablet is an android. I have google maps app which you can download up to 50k square offline area, some of it is super clear others are not so clear. The other app i use which is etopo maps by memory maps. It is just amazing, i have the whole province of bc stored on it. I am sure the westjet pilots could of landed their plane in a snow storm just using my tablet. Of coarse a tablet is a little big but pda's and phones hardware are increasing at an alarming rate. Big battle between android, iphone and now the new kid on the block windows 10 phone. I have been after google to improve their offline clarity to match that of microsofts windows 10.

My phones are always Windows Phones, currently 8 though. I wonder about offline maps though, does it plot your location or is it just a static, paper-like map? I may have to look more in to the phone options.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To bad you did not have windows 10 phone ...ha ha. Maybe start with this app. I have tried about 10 apps so far on my android some work some don't. Memory map app is currently not compatible with your phone, Iphone and android only. My tablet is a 250 dollar samsung. Make sure it say offline maps and make sure your phone comes with built in gps. Or nothing is going to work when your out of cell range.

Wow after reading about this app it seems awesome.... and it is free. And does do offline maps. I almost want to go out and get a windows 10 phone just to have their offline maps. But Memory maps is even better than offline maps.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could you try this for me. Downloads this app on your windows phone. It will acquire and gps signal and send it to any windows 10 laptop. Your laptop does not have to have built gps with this app you smart phone will act like a gps. Then make sure you have no internet and cell phone coverage just to see how good windows 10 offline maps really are. it is all free.

Reaction score
To bad you did not have windows 10 phone ...ha ha. Maybe start with this app. I have tried about 10 apps so far on my android some work some don't. Memory map app is currently not compatible with your phone, Iphone and android only. My tablet is a 250 dollar samsung. Make sure it say offline maps and make sure your phone comes with built in gps. Or nothing is going to work when your out of cell range.

Wow after reading about this app it seems awesome.... and it is free. And does do offline maps. I almost want to go out and get a windows 10 phone just to have their offline maps. But Memory maps is even better than offline maps.

My phone will be Win 10 soon enough .... but even with 8 I have offline already, and a Garmin GPS app I hadn't even considered. I also have a Windows 10 Surface Tablet, and my wife has a Sony Xperia (Android) phone and Asus Tab (also Android)... so we should have plenty of options. What I may do is just bring my phone out to Cataract this weekend, and do the free trial of a few different apps and see what works for what I want.

*EDIT* I do often have my tablet with me in my backpack along with all my camera gear......

Last edited:

Reaction score
Could you try this for me. Downloads this app on your windows phone. It will acquire and gps signal and send it to any windows 10 laptop. Your laptop does not have to have built gps with this app you smart phone will act like a gps. Then make sure you have no internet and cell phone coverage just to see how good windows 10 offline maps really are. it is all free.

If I remember, I can try this at home later when I am near my Surface.

Top Bottom