Handheld / Personal GPS

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am at a loss... make sure your google account has the right address... this is all i could find. What the heck other reasons is, is beyond me. Tell me what area you are trying to download i will download it on mine and try it out to see if it works.

Note: Downloading offline areas isn't available in some regions because of contractual limitations, language support, address formats, or other reasons.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Screenshot_2015-12-03-16-13-31.jpg
Screenshot_2015-12-03-16-13-11.jpg

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok i did it for tete jaune area my map covers more area yours and satellite does work, but the download size on mine is only 15 MB yours if 55 MB ... what the hell gives. Swipe your screen down and makes sure your location is turned on.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Ok i did it for tete jaune area my map covers more area yours and satellite does work, but the download size on mine is only 15 MB yours if 55 MB ... what the hell gives. Swipe your screen down and makes sure your location is turned on.

Yup. It's on. Guess next time you're in Edmonton, you'll have to stop in and show me. HAHAHA

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One more thing where did you get your google maps app from? Mine is from the google play store. I would say i am just going to bring my tablet, yours sounds like a nightmare.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Mines from Google Play as well. Ver 9.17.1

PS.... Talk about a thread hijack. Sorry BAD.

No such thing in my mind.... conversations evolve... I'm glad the conversation is going... it's given me other ideas I hadn't considered. Although thinking about my tablet, it is WiFi only, no GPS... so our phones will have to suffice (if going the app route)

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do mostly tree riding so I have to be able to see individual trees, a gps does not cut it. I do not own a cell phone let me know how that one works out for you.

Ratings

Memory Maps 9.9/10
google maps 8/10

Last edited:

Reaction score
I do mostly tree riding so I have to be able to see individual trees, a gps does not cut it. I do not own a cell phone let me know how that one works out for you.

Ratings

Memory Maps 9.9/10
google maps 8/10

Really? Individual trees? I don't need anything quite THAT accurate or detailed.... an arrow pointing me in the right direction would be enough in an emergency. This all stems from a night ride we had last year.... and the lead person switched people so many times, that when we wanted to go home, no single person knew the entire way lol. I mean it wasn't urgent or dire... but we did spend 30 minutes trying to find the way. The wife panicked.... I have no real fear of getting lost. Even if I do I'm happy to camp until daylight, and call it an adventure.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup it is that clear ...mostly. Point and shoot arrow you did see that 50 dollar gps a few pages back I sent you. However I know you will not have a problem with apps even is some are a bit clumsy to figure out. There is no way any gps will even come close to apps, and my gps has 50 satellite views stored on it. It would be like two guys sitting on a kitty kat and MiniZ arguing over what sled is the best in the mountains.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The compass is not as good as a gps's but you could bring one along. Memory Maps as one built in, I do not even know how they do this. Or there is an app where you point your tablet at the sun and it give you a compass. And the pictures placed on a map does not work as good as the gps's although most gps's do not even have this feature. My tablet however has a gps's turn on for pictures where it gives the exact location for each picture taken.

Reaction score
The compass is not as good as a gps's but you could bring one along. Memory Maps as one built in, I do not even know how they do this. Or there is an app where you point your tablet at the sun and it give you a compass. And the pictures placed on a map does not work as good as the gps's although most gps's do not even have this feature. My tablet however has a gps's turn on for pictures where it gives the exact location for each picture taken.

I have an old-school (actual) compass with some para-cord on my boot.... if worst came to worst. Mostly I just want the wife to settle down a little lol An app will give her some peace of mind. So she doesn't give me a piece of hers lol

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha. I bet if you go to Map Town in Calgary and ask about Etopo maps for Alberta that is now 19.99 instead of the 500 dollars i paid. They will have you a working model on a cell phone and show you how good it works.....however i have never been to maps town just ordered from them.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back to google offline maps. If you hold your finger on the map for 1 or 2 seconds it stores a waypoint on the map, it also has a compass in the top right hand corner. If you store another way point on the maps..when your lost. It tells you how far you are and what direction to go to your first waypoint. How simple is that.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What the hell is up with this email. Who says google is not listening. What is next search and rescue contact google to find out where you sorry ass is.

Last edited:

Reaction score
So I went off on a bit of a tangent...... On top of wanting a tracker of sorts... my phone has also been crapping out on me and so I needed a new one as well. I TRY to buy as few devices as possible, that are capable of more than one thing. Less to carry, less to charge. Anyway I went ahead and got a Lumia 640XL and a The band syncs with the phone in your pocket via Bluetooth and relays GPS info. You can use it for running, hiking, biking etc...... but I will have to test it for sledding a few times before I "endorse". For me this was the best solution (assuming it does what I want) because I needed a new phone anyway... and the Band does a lot of other useful things for me as well. (27 times to the gym last month, twice on Mondays)... for that it's great. So this may not be a valid idea for anyone else unless they also wanted their device to have other purposes as well. I'll try and update after I try it out in the bush.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got that dvd for all of alberta, it does not work with memory maps they have changed some stuff here. Let me know how google offline maps works for you. Some are saying satellite view does not work for them in offline...mine does though.

Reaction score
I got that dvd for all of alberta, it does not work with memory maps they have changed some stuff here. Let me know how google offline maps works for you. Some are saying satellite view does not work for them in offline...mine does though.

I have Alberta downloaded.. and available offline. It seems to work with many different map apps. Here are two I am going to try this weekend. I have both installed, and at least one allows my wife with her Android to be a "buddy"... so we can see eachother on the map, as well as plot and record paths....

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/a-route-tracker-jog-bike-ski-or-drive/9wzdncrfhxwb

or I just found this one as well... I will try them both in the bush this weekend....

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/off-grid-gps/9nblggh08cr3

They both look promising.

Top Bottom