Grizz 660 cold start

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They came out I believe because they gave great response and removed the low end bog,..

I know if you put them on a rhino you need a fitting, or cable accessory for it to fit stock parts,.. or something like that. Haven't looked to deep into it,.. but for the price,.. they are an exceptional carb.

Which carb are you talking? the FCR or the Edelbrock here. because the Edelbrock was made for the same thing and they are bolt up ready.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which carb are you talking? the FCR or the Edelbrock here. because the Edelbrock was made for the same thing and they are bolt up ready.

The FCR,.. I was told my tuners to stay away from Edlebrock because they are finicky and hard to tune.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fuel spitting back to the air is the key clue; I cannot tell you how many times I dealt with this exact issue when I worked for a Yamaha dealer. The intake valve is open slightly. The valves must be checked/set COLD. The mechanics in the shop will get it running in the compound (they have lots of tricks), drive it in the shop and then check the lash with false results (the aluminum head has abosorbed some heat causing it to "grow" faster than the steel valve stem by at least 0.002"). Back off the intake valve lash adjustment screw 1/4 turn.

If you have any doubts try a compression test or leak down test when it is cold.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The FCR,.. I was told my tuners to stay away from Edlebrock because they are finicky and hard to tune.

weird your the first person I've ever Heard/Seen say that they "Grizzly 660 Edelbrock model carb" were hard to tune .. seeing you can adjust them in 2 dif ways without taking the carb apart or even off the bike i would imagine them easy to tune.

I've been following that carb for awhile I'm waiting to see what i do tho this year.

if i cant get rid of the off the line bog on my grizzly ill be pulling the trigger on something.

cuz its driving me nuts tbh.

otherwise it runs great but that initial bog bugs me so much.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
weird your the first person I've ever Heard/Seen say that they "Grizzly 660 Edelbrock model carb" were hard to tune .. seeing you can adjust them in 2 dif ways without taking the carb apart or even off the bike i would imagine them easy to tune.

I've been following that carb for awhile I'm waiting to see what i do tho this year.

if i cant get rid of the off the line bog on my grizzly ill be pulling the trigger on something.

cuz its driving me nuts tbh.

otherwise it runs great but that initial bog bugs me so much.

I have the bog on my rhino as well, and have read that the FCR is less finicky with altitude changes. This is of course on rhino forums, but if I was to put in a 686 kit, I would use an FCR.

I think we may have gotten this thread off topic.

roadrunner

Reaction score
Grizz 660 cold start Drain the fuel bowl before you try to start if you let it sit for any time . This works every time

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
The fuel spitting back to the air is the key clue; I cannot tell you how many times I dealt with this exact issue when I worked for a Yamaha dealer. The intake valve is open slightly. The valves must be checked/set COLD. The mechanics in the shop will get it running in the compound (they have lots of tricks), drive it in the shop and then check the lash with false results (the aluminum head has abosorbed some heat causing it to "grow" faster than the steel valve stem by at least 0.002"). Back off the intake valve lash adjustment screw 1/4 turn.

If you have any doubts try a compression test or leak down test when it is cold.

Thanks Gary everyone including myself has tuned the bike warm well because you want it run the best while warm.
If you adjust the valves cold will it run like crap warm??

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gary everyone including myself has tuned the bike warm well because you want it run the best while warm.

ive always adjusted my vavles cold and have no perf problems

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally did the valves on my 2 660's today--night and day difference starting (no choke or throttle req.)and low end torque.Should have done them years ago!(intakes had no slap)

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Valve lash is almost always set cold. It will run correctly after it warms up.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Ripped it apart today couldn't fit the .002 feeler gauge under the intake rocker spun crank around again the TDC still no go net says between .004-.006 backed off the jam nuts put the .005 under it tightened down pulled out gauge it slides back under tight but it still goes. Put the cover back on hit the stater button without the fuel tank and and she came to life. Put tank on and buttoned back up she starts and runs awesome and now I have a choke....something that has worked in a hundred years. Not doing the happy dance yet will try it tomorrow to see how good it will start.

Thanks for the help guys :d:beer::d

rob350

Reaction score
Talking about the Edelbrock carb, majority of the guys on high lifter forums love them on the 660's, grizzhopper even gave it great reviews.
They say its way easier to tune than the OEM carb, and less finicky.

I would buy one, but i think they are like $400, few too many pennies for me.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talking about the Edelbrock carb, majority of the guys on high lifter forums love them on the 660's, grizzhopper even gave it great reviews.
They say its way easier to tune than the OEM carb, and less finicky.

I would buy one, but i think they are like $400, few too many pennies for me.

Im trying to fit a FCR Keinen into my machine atm ... ill tell you if it works or if i have to do something to make it work :p

If not other options are the mikuni 45mm

Top Bottom